IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Regrets but it's too late.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 06:28 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regrets but it's too late.

Hello everyone, I recently bought a very nice 2014 IS 250 awd, coming from BMW I don't know much about Lexus, now that I'm learning I regret not getting the F sport! it seems most goodies are for the f sport.
Old 07-19-18, 11:27 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Not getting a F Sport and 350. Yikes!
Old 07-20-18, 07:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by jameshan
Not getting a F Sport and 350. Yikes!
Let's not be hating on the 250. Other than the 100hp difference, it's still a nice ride.
Having had mine for 2 years now, it's just fast enough to keep me out of trouble. ;o)

The F Sport, for the most part, is just a cosmetic package. Depending on how the vehicle is optioned outside of the cosmetics is probably more important.
There are also conversion kits available if you want the F Sport look in the front. (bumper, grill, etc.)
Old 07-20-18, 07:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Yeah, the IS is a great car - the F Sport stuff takes it to another level. However having driven a non-F Sport, I can say the experience was very similar - it was mostly down to the seats and gauge cluster.
Old 07-20-18, 07:31 AM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a good looking car!
I really like the IS250 wheels, more than the IS350 non-fsport wheels.
If you have the wares, you can swap in the grill/front-bumper and the LFA-inspired gauge.
Old 07-20-18, 07:39 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

F Sport = Sport wannabe? Compare it to BMW.
Old 07-20-18, 08:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
F Sport = Sport wannabe? Compare it to BMW.
No thanks, I don't need that BMW numbness in my driving experience.
Old 07-20-18, 08:24 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Grass is always greener on the other side. I have 2014 350 F-sport but here I am thinking of getting more powerful car but every now and then I try to enjoy what I have.
Old 07-20-18, 10:28 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Looks wise yes. Everything is Fsport. We can still mod it to make it look cooler.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-20-18, 11:39 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

why not RCF, or even better a LC, or on and on and on.
There is always going to be something better and of course for more money. Just be happy with what you have. Everyone has their buyers remorse.
Old 07-20-18, 03:55 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the car but it seems that when I search for some mods and I find something I like I always get the "F sport only" note.
I like the f sport grille but changing the whole bumper it's not something I am willing to do, I did that with my former car ( BMW 530i) and I had nothing but problems.
I am surprised there aren't any replacement aftermarket grilles, I'm sure a lot of people will definitely buy it.
I like the interior of my IS 250 except for the analog clock, it's very elegant but distracting.
Old 07-20-18, 04:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
No thanks, I don't need that BMW numbness in my driving experience.
Sounds like you haven't driven an E46 or E46 M3. Here's pics of my old car I owned 8 years. Without a single breakdown. It had around 150k miles in this picture.

Canyon carver with a few ///M parts such as M3 rear balljoints, M3 engine/trans mounts, solid front CABs, and some other stuff i'm forgetting. Great in stock form but even better w/ M3 parts. The drive is like the IS w/ F Sport package but 300-400 lbs ligher and driveline response is way more immediate primarily due to having a manual transmission. Don't forget the hydraulic steering too.

Engine always hand washed, hand polished, hand waxed. Every surface slick. Our ISs handle great but don't call BMW numb! =)
Old 07-20-18, 04:40 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by E46CT
Sounds like you haven't driven an E46 or E46 M3. Here's pics of my old car I owned 8 years. Without a single breakdown. It had around 150k miles in this picture.

Canyon carver with a few ///M parts such as M3 rear balljoints, M3 engine/trans mounts, solid front CABs, and some other stuff i'm forgetting. Great in stock form but even better w/ M3 parts. The drive is like the IS w/ F Sport package but 300-400 lbs ligher and driveline response is way more immediate primarily due to having a manual transmission. Don't forget the hydraulic steering too.

Engine always hand washed, hand polished, hand waxed. Every surface slick. Our ISs handle great but don't call BMW numb! =)
I strongly agree! Bimmers are definitely not numb! I still love my former 5 series and would love to own an M series, I had to get rid of mine because of a blown head gasket at 155k miles.
With that said after getting the IS and learning more about them makes me feel I should've gotten the 350 but I'm going to try to enjoy it the 250 and any suggestions from all the Lexus gurus here will be very valuable to me at this point.
Old 07-20-18, 05:29 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by dakest
Don't get me wrong guys, I love the car but it seems that when I search for some mods and I find something I like I always get the "F sport only" note.
I like the f sport grille but changing the whole bumper it's not something I am willing to do, I did that with my former car ( BMW 530i) and I had nothing but problems.
I am surprised there aren't any replacement aftermarket grilles, I'm sure a lot of people will definitely buy it.
I like the interior of my IS 250 except for the analog clock, it's very elegant but distracting.
I dont feel like I'm missing much from F-sport personally (well, except for those fender badges...I like those!)

However, I agree absolutely about the front grille. I have found no aftermarket options. And I'm afraid when they finally do make ONE....itll be priced stupid high and thus not even worth It.
I dont think the stock grille is awful but I think part of what its lacking is the gloss finish. Generic matte trim black...eh. I have some custom options in mind.

Regardless, imo you drive literally one of the best looking cars on the road hands down! Congrats on the ride and I hope the "woulda shoulda coulda" gets beyond you
Old 07-20-18, 05:54 PM
dakest
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I dont feel like I'm missing much from F-sport personally (well, except for those fender badges...I like those!)

However, I agree absolutely about the front grille. I have found no aftermarket options. And I'm afraid when they finally do make ONE....itll be priced stupid high and thus not even worth It.
I dont think the stock grille is awful but I think part of what its lacking is the gloss finish. Generic matte trim black...eh. I have some custom options in mind.

Regardless, imo you drive literally one of the best looking cars on the road hands down! Congrats on the ride and I hope the "woulda shoulda coulda" gets beyond you
Thanks for the encouragement, I kind of realized I'm missing 100 or so horses by not choosing the 350 but what's done is done, it is a very good looking car indeed, the exterior mods I'm thinking about are carbon fiber trunk spoiler, rear diffuser and front lip/splitter, soon after that wheels, thoughts?
I have some ideas about the grille myself, going to start drawing soon, I had a fender bender and the bumper needs to be replaced, the body shop doesn't want to put in the F sport one, (I tried)

Quick Reply: Regrets but it's too late.