IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Trunk hinges

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 01:14 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Trunk hinges

The longer I own it, the more I love my IS.

But I am still needing to be careful not to place anything below the trunk hinges.
I had an instance the the other day where I packed the trunk carefully for closure.
I opened the trunk to remove one item, and things shifted a bit. When I went to close it again. Boing!
Whacked the the hinge against something. Will continued minor whacks eventually take a toll?
I am not sure why such deep hinges are needed.
Old 06-25-18, 01:29 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

“Minor whacks” won’t hurt it much if any at all. Continually doing this though can throw the deck lid out of alignment or cause an uneven panel level. The other thing that would likely happen is you could cause a torsion rod to pop loose. “Minor whacks” though, every now and again, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Seems you already are aware of what is going on, so just rearrange items to avoid it, and don’t force it shut.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (06-25-18)
Old 06-26-18, 07:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

you'll be fine. The reason manufacturers do this in this class of car is cost. Those hinges you see on european cars (my BMW 3 series from 2002 had those non-intrusive fancy hinges) are quite expensive. I think the "fancy" setup requires dampers for the trunk too. Even more cost.

But honestly i've never personally jammed that much stuff in my trunk where i wished i had the fancy hinges. my trunk is 100% empty aside from a sub box 99.999% of the time. but if you pack a lot of roller bags and tall stuff, then yeah it sucks!
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 07:50 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

BTW, coming from a G37x, I was worried about the smaller trunk (20% smaller perhaps). But it is not an issue whatsoever.
I transport guitar gear to gigs/jams and bulk water/paper towels from BJs.
You lose some space from the hinges, but it works!
Old 06-26-18, 08:54 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Not long after I got my car we moved. I was loading items in my trunk and coming from a G35 didn't even give it a thought. Well, I went to close the trunk and "wham" something was in the way of the hinge. It popped the hinge out. It was difficult to close the trunk afterwards. I called the dealer freaking out and my fantastic SA crawled into the trunk and fixed it for me. Needless to say, I'm very aware of the hinges now.
Old 06-26-18, 01:01 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Somewhat on topic, but do you guys ever wonder about the negative affects of opening the trunk with the outside button and letting it lift open unabated? I do this every time, not thinking about it. Pop the trunk open using the button and it flies open, hits the back stops and bounces back a few times. Seems very harsh and every time it happens I kind of cringe and think to myself "STOP DOING THAT" lol.
Old 06-26-18, 01:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

My trunk does not fly up and bounce around like a Hertz rental car. Do the 18s do that? Doubt it. Can you post a video of yours? When I pop the trunk, it just unlatches. And I lift it by hand.

Anyway nothing you can do (within reason) can hurt your car. Whatever your car does when you do x, press Y, etc, is how it was designed to be used. You're fine =)
Old 06-26-18, 01:31 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
Somewhat on topic, but do you guys ever wonder about the negative affects of opening the trunk with the outside button and letting it lift open unabated? I do this every time, not thinking about it. Pop the trunk open using the button and it flies open, hits the back stops and bounces back a few times. Seems very harsh and every time it happens I kind of cringe and think to myself "STOP DOING THAT" lol.
Yeah you might want to stop doing that. 😆 Seriously though, it can have the same effect as I described earlier on the deck lid levelness to the body. It could still be corrected, but it would be noticeably out, gaps on either side could be off and lid protrusion on either side corners near the window. It’ll still shut, it just wouldn’t be in the factory standards any longer.
Old 06-26-18, 03:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
BTW, coming from a G37x, I was worried about the smaller trunk (20% smaller perhaps). But it is not an issue whatsoever.
I transport guitar gear to gigs/jams and bulk water/paper towels from BJs.
You lose some space from the hinges, but it works!
This might be somewhat off-topic, but the way the trunk of the IS is measured now is different compared to the G37 at the time. The IS has a measurement of 13.8 cubic feet for a while, but the measurement standards have changed, reducing it to 10.8.

I started a whole thread about that a while back. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...us-s-site.html

And yeah, I always cringe if I accidentally flip the trunk open too fast, causing it to bounce back. I'm sure it doesn't hurt it, but it just doesn't feel great. Lexus should consider damping it.