IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Headlight condensation issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 08:51 PM
prototype7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight condensation issue

I have a 2014 Lexus IS 250 and the driver headlight got damaged a while back. A piece of the assembly housing chipped off and condensation was getting in there no matter if I vacuumed it dry. I sealed the crack off but the condensation kept getting there and eventually the check headlight system turned on, mind you the LED bulbs never got damaged it was just the plastic housing that cracked. I didn't know what to do and took it to the dealer to get it fixed but I had to buy the whole assembly brand new and it did cost a lot. When I went to pick my car up I turned the headlights on just to see if they worked properly and the check headlight system turned on right away, I told the dealer people right away and they kept the car over the weekend. They told me today the reason the light keeps coming on is that the condensation got inside some connections or computer thing, anyways my question is, is it true that condensation in a headlight can damage a computer part, supposedly it caused corrosion too. I am not sure if the dealer is trying to rip me off for more money as I had to pay a lot for the headlight already and now this.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long paragraph I just tried to give as much info so you guys can share your expertise.
Old 05-21-18, 10:45 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How did you crack the headlight?
Old 05-22-18, 12:06 AM
prototype7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
How did you crack the headlight?
Driving on the highway, the car in front of me picked up a small object possibly a rock and the thing got launched behind him hitting my front bumper. It skipped from bumper to headlight. I didn't want to make a claim as I was in a previous accident and my insurance has gone up.
Old 05-22-18, 08:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

The "computer part" as you call it or the LED controller/driver isn't waterproof and if it's located inside the headlight (sure it is) then yes moisture could've gotten on the board. If so, you can rectify by installing a new controller. Keep in mind though that the actual LED board with surface mount LED on it (it's not a "bulb") is also exposed as well and any moisture could've short circuited or killed it as well.

Also don't buy these things at the dealer, folks. they're dirt cheap used on ebay all day long.