IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Headlight sensor nightmare, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 06:09 PM
bigblue12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight sensor nightmare, need help

So I took my 2015 IS250 F sport into the dealership to get a new automatic headlight sensor put in. They put it in, nothing changed. They then checked the compter (part number: 89220-53691) and saw that some of the wires had been tampered with previously. They said getting a new computer would run me about $1500. No thanks. Get my car back from the dealership and now the cooled seats do not work so I am taking it back in a few days. It is throwing code B1244. I am wanting to see if some of the tampered wires are whats causing the short in the circuit. Does anyone have a wire diagram for these plug ins? And anyone have an idea what they could have installed. I will attach pictures of where they drilled 2 holes and pictures of the wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 holes that were drilled for whatever they installed.

Tan, blue, 2 purple wires cut and taped back.

Blue wire is completely broken.
Old 03-05-18, 06:37 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-working.html

Might want to look at this thread
The following users liked this post:
bigblue12 (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 06:50 PM
bigblue12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome of Club Lexus. Lots of background needed to better assess. Did you buy the car new or used?

Why was a new headlight sensor needed? FYI, the headlight control sensor for the headlights, at least for 2014 MY (page 174 in online owner's manual), is located on the passenger side. Is the car still under warranty?

If that's dealer work I'd be pissed, as it's sloppy and poorly done - doesn't look like dealer work to me, but if it is, not good. All details as to the work a dealer performs should be detailed on your service paperwork. Short of posting the paperwork, can't say what was installed - but I'd guess is was done by a non-dealer (maybe by the prior owner?)
Sorry for the unnecessary quote Im still new to this and dont know how to just reply.. But the car was bought used with about 19k miles. Still under factory warranty. The headlights do not come on automatically so we assumed the sensor had gone bad. Nope.. I don't believe it to be dealers work, but either way, its messed something up.
Old 03-05-18, 07:12 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

Those two holes look like was for mounting some type of LED or button for aftermarket dealer installed alarm that they usually try to add onto the sticker price to get more money from you when car is sold brand new. They prewired the car and just plug module in after if it is purchased. This one looks like the that harness was removed after at some point
Old 03-05-18, 07:13 PM
bigblue12
Driver School Candidate

No stress..."so we assumed the sensor had gone bad" who is "we"? If the dealer had diagnosed the sensor had gone bad, it should have been covered under warranty. If you went in and requested the sensor be replaced, then yeah, that apparently wasn't the issue and you're on the hook for the cost. I'd highly suspect the previous owner had either a remote starter installed or something else that is the cause for the messy wiring, drilled holes, etc. in your posted pictures. Unless you can get assistance here, my suggestion would be to have a dealer assess the wiring at this point, to diagnose issues (plus code you posted the car is now throwing). Some members are knowledgeable about wiring, but with the prior work done, it would be extremely difficult to diagnose from afar (via this forum).

The only other suggestion I might offer, is if the car is a recent purchase, return to the dealer you bought it used from and ask them to advise (either so you can get in touch with prior owner to see what they did, or to see if they can address). Good luck.
"We" as in the service guy and myself at the dealership. We assumed that the sensor had just gone bad and so they replaced that first with no luck. That is when they ran the computer and found the wiring issues and the code.
Old 03-05-18, 10:59 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

The pictures of the wires you show, Only the BLUE wire i would recommend some attention to have someone solder that connection back. The other wires seem fine and just need some insulation electrical tape in place to give it some protection.

Most likely they had what is called T taps i.e. alligator clips on them and when removing them, the BLUE wire was damaged in the process

Old 03-06-18, 02:43 PM
bigblue12
Driver School Candidate

Is this a Lexus dealer? Did they charge you for the replacement sensor? If a Lexus dealership, I'm surprised they did not run a diagnosis on the car first to pinpoint the issue(s). Yeah, at this point I'd blame the wiring apparently done by the previous owner.
It was bought from driverselect, but the diagnosis was done at a lexus dealership. They did not charge me for the sensor because they took it out and put the old one back in because it was not the issue.