IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thoughts on 2018 Camry from IS owners?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-17, 10:53 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
definitely go for that IS, you won’t regret it! i dont think the 250 and 200t will depreciate more since the nameplates are gone
So that 2016 IS 300 F-Sport is not Lexus Certified. Price is close to $28K + Taxes. As far as Carfax goes, the car had 1 owner, 37K miles on it in 1 year and 10 months of leasing. Carfax's estimation is 20K miles per year.

Thoughts on that?

Personally I know that it not being certified has kept the price down and allowed me to negotiate so not an issue with me but I'm not too sure if the Lexus being non-certified means issues down the road perhaps.
Old 12-30-17, 10:58 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by nabeel24
So that 2016 IS 300 F-Sport is not Lexus Certified. Price is close to $28K + Taxes. As far as Carfax goes, the car had 1 owner, 37K miles on it in 1 year and 10 months of leasing. Carfax's estimation is 20K miles per year.

Thoughts on that?

Personally I know that it not being certified has kept the price down and allowed me to negotiate so not an issue with me but I'm not too sure if the Lexus being non-certified means issues down the road perhaps.
lexus is extremely reliable, so i’m not sure why it wouldn’t be certified, but i wouldn’t worry about the car breaking down or electrical problems as that is extremely unlikely
Old 12-30-17, 11:01 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

lexus is extremely reliable, so i’m not sure why it wouldn’t be certified, but i wouldn’t worry about the car breaking down or electrical problems as that is extremely unlikely
Possibly haven't done the complete inspection or don't want to offer the extended warranty?

Anyhow, I'd much rather have it at this price. I've tried to lower it even more but at this point, $28K is their final price as "$28K is below their cost".
Old 12-30-17, 01:33 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Possibly haven't done the complete inspection or don't want to offer the extended warranty?

Anyhow, I'd much rather have it at this price. I've tried to lower it even more but at this point, $28K is their final price as "$28K is below their cost".
take it! you won’t regret it
Old 12-30-17, 02:11 PM
nabeel24
Rookie

take it! you won’t regret it
So... the car ended up being sold to someone else while I was driving there. I was told just as I was got on the freeway. I did get to go to the Toyota dealer with the white 2015 IS 250 and the 2018 Camry XSE. This was my first time driving the 2018 4 cylinder but man it definitely was “boring” in a certain way. Once I changed it to sport the pickup and throttle response became more enjoyable. Overall the car looked great but was lacking in areas. I’ll update some more thoughts soon.
Old 12-30-17, 02:14 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

So... the car ended up being sold to someone else while I was driving there. I was told just as I was got on the freeway. I did get to go to the Toyota dealer with the white 2015 IS 250 and the 2018 Camry XSE. This was my first time driving the 2018 4 cylinder but man it definitely was “boring” in a certain way. Once I changed it to sport the pickup and throttle response became more enjoyable. Overall the car looked great but was lacking in areas. I’ll update some more thoughts soon.
that sucks, damn! i would keep looking for IS300’s in the area if you can!
Old 12-30-17, 06:57 PM
nabeel24
Rookie

that sucks, damn! i would keep looking for IS300’s in the area if you can!
So... here's another update! She emailed me early evening saying the person didn't get approved for the financing and asked if I wanted to come in the next day. Since my wife and I were still out, we decided to go test drive the car late evening since the manager was ok with it.

Test drove it and absolutely fell in love with the power. The car itself was smooth, no rattling or any another noticeable issues. The interior looked great, it did have a few faint scratches. I'm very picky about this stuff since I baby the hell out of my car and avoid potholes/bumps on the road like the plague. You were absolutely right about getting IS 300 and skipping the 200t or 250!! This car felt so light and picked up much much faster than my IS 250!

Additionally, the manager let us bring the car home for the night so I can inspect it in the morning for any scratches or issues. Left my IS on their lot of course. Wife and I totally loved her service, didn't pressure us or anything at all.

All in all... I was able to lower the price $300 more to $27,700.
$29,400 OTD w/taxes and all other fees.

Thoughts about the deal or anything else I should make sure of before green lighting this tomorrow?
Old 12-31-17, 07:39 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

So... here's another update! She emailed me early evening saying the person didn't get approved for the financing and asked if I wanted to come in the next day. Since my wife and I were still out, we decided to go test drive the car late evening since the manager was ok with it.

Test drove it and absolutely fell in love with the power. The car itself was smooth, no rattling or any another noticeable issues. The interior looked great, it did have a few faint scratches. I'm very picky about this stuff since I baby the hell out of my car and avoid potholes/bumps on the road like the plague. You were absolutely right about getting IS 300 and skipping the 200t or 250!! This car felt so light and picked up much much faster than my IS 250!

Additionally, the manager let us bring the car home for the night so I can inspect it in the morning for any scratches or issues. Left my IS on their lot of course. Wife and I totally loved her service, didn't pressure us or anything at all.

All in all... I was able to lower the price $300 more to $27,700.
$29,400 OTD w/taxes and all other fees.

Thoughts about the deal or anything else I should make sure of before green lighting this tomorrow?
yes! yay! congrats!!! it feels very quick off the like because the torque band of the IS300 and IS350 are almost identical, only when the cars hit about 4000-4500 rpm is when the 350 starts pulling much harder. i don’t think you really need to check for anything under the hood, but definitely look at tires being replaced
Old 12-31-17, 07:56 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

yes! yay! congrats!!! it feels very quick off the like because the torque band of the IS300 and IS350 are almost identical, only when the cars hit about 4000-4500 rpm is when the 350 starts pulling much harder. i don’t think you really need to check for anything under the hood, but definitely look at tires being replaced
Finally got to inspect the car in daylight since its 10AM here. That front bumper is rock chipped to hell. I'm guessing from the obvious highway miles. There's a very slight paint cracking issue on the trunk door but I'm not sure if that's a big of an issue.

Would this still be a good buy due to the rock chips on the front bumper? Not sure how much it'll cost if I we're to re-paint down the line.
Old 12-31-17, 07:59 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Finally got to inspect the car in daylight since its 10AM here. That front bumper is rock chipped to hell. I'm guessing from the obvious highway miles. There's a very slight paint cracking issue on the trunk door but I'm not sure if that's a big of an issue.

Would this still be a good buy due to the rock chips on the front bumper? Not sure how much it'll cost if I we're to re-paint down the line.
it’s still a good buy, unfortunately the IS and most other lexus models have such soft paint materials, i have a rock chip on my front bumper after owning my car for 5 months, post some pics of the car if you can too!
Old 12-31-17, 08:04 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

it’s still a good buy, unfortunately the IS and most other lexus models have such soft paint materials, i have a rock chip on my front bumper after owning my car for 5 months, post some pics of the car if you can too!
Yeah, I mean I have just a few on my 2015 IS lease which is Black as well. But this car has so many throughout the front bumper, it looks like tiny snow freckles everywhere.

Will definitely post pictures soon. Will be heading down to the dealer soon and see if they can do anything.
Old 12-31-17, 08:06 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

By the way, any idea on an approximate cost of repainting the front bumper?
Old 12-31-17, 09:16 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

not sure... i’m assuming $2000 or more, i would bring it to a paint correction detailing place to see if they can do anything about it
Old 12-31-17, 11:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

not sure... i’m assuming $2000 or more, i would bring it to a paint correction detailing place to see if they can do anything about it
It will look the same within the year. If you get a repainted by bumper, put a clear bra on it to protect the investment.
Old 01-01-18, 02:06 PM
nabeel24
Rookie

Ended up not getting the car due to the customer experience at the dealer. They were willing to repaint the bumper and trunk lid for me.

But my experience with the sales executive was terrible. Mentioned the extra $300 off should be noted on the computer but they couldn’t find it and then when they said they did, they had the audacity to say it’s only if I get some paint protection and nitrogen air combo which costs $1200.... so add $1200 to drop $300.

Although my creit edit form was filled out, I asked if my credit will be run since there were some issues figuring out the price... before you know it I got an alert that my credit was checked. They were willing to take off the $1200 and leave everything as is but the experience left a sour taste and my gut said to walk away from that shady stuff.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 2018 Camry from IS owners?!