IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Thoughts on 2018 Camry from IS owners?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 08:20 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Any optional features in the 2017? It's a really good deal for 35k OTD.

The 2018 is now standard with all the pre-collision, lane departure, automatic braking, and blind spot.
Nope. It includes the Blind Spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert. But I thought that came with most if not all F-Sport packages.

As nice as those safety features sounds, don't think they're a must have at a $5,500 raise in price. The name change to "IS 300" would've been nice as well since they're standard now but again not at this cost.
Old 01-13-18, 08:52 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

I would jump on the IS200t. That's a good deal for an F-Sport Model.
Old 01-13-18, 03:58 PM
nabeel24
Rookie

I would jump on the IS200t. That's a good deal for an F-Sport Model.
Would you recommend a 2017 IS 200t F-Sport or 2017 IS 300 (No F-Sport) for the same OTD price?
Old 01-13-18, 04:34 PM
MX73
Racer

It's really up to you if you want AWD and a V6. Have you driven both? What do you plan on doing with the car? You may want to open up a new thread so some IS300 and IS200t owners can chime in.
Old 01-13-18, 08:42 PM
nabeel24
Rookie

It's really up to you if you want AWD and a V6. Have you driven both? What do you plan on doing with the car? You may want to open up a new thread so some IS300 and IS200t owners can chime in.
I've test driven the IS 300 but not the 200t. I figured it would be fine since I currently have a 250 and that's much slower.

Just opened up a thread on it!
Old 01-14-18, 04:28 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Actually... you're wrong. While the 2018 Camry XSE V6 does come with features the Lexus does not have, *its not missing absolutely nothing.* Off the top of my head, the Camry XSE V6 still has the "basic" traditional gauges while the Lexus runs LFA-Style digital gauges. If you take a look at both cars closely, the Lexus 3IS will have features the Camry XSE V6 doesn't have and the Camry XSE V6 will have features the Lexus 3IS doesn't have.
About the gauges : I wasn't mentioning aesthetics - those are subjective. Some people hate the look of the LFA cluster and prefer traditional gauges. I was talking purely about options and equipment, which the Camry has more of. What other equipment does the 3IS have that the XSE doesn't (other than what I stated in my original post : drivetrain, fun factor)? As I said it has the same equipment as my wife's C450 with Premium and Technology package, minus the self-driving feature.

The Camry XSE V6 is definitely a way better car than its predecessor, but I honestly don't think it makes it better than say a Lexus. Think about it this way - the Camry XSE V6 has almost the same amount of features as a 2018 Audi A4 Prestige, even one up'ing the Audi with a Pano roof. Does this make the Camry XSE V6 better than the Audi A4? Probably not. Just like how it won't make it better than the Lexus 3IS.
Even after raving about the Camry, I don't think it's "better" (no matter how I'd define that) than the 3IS. The amount of features or equipment isn't what defines the car, you got to factor the driving too, where the Camry still lacks. I still love my 3IS and I wouldn't change for a Camry. However if Toyota comes with a RWD or AWD Camry with proper engine and exhaust sound...

Last edited by Aeromotive; 01-14-18 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 04:43 PM
MX73
Racer

The Camry is targeted at the mainstream market. It's for someone that needs a car to get from point a to point b. If I want a drivers car, I'll pick an IS over the Camry any day. But I was shopping for a mainstream 4 dr sedan in the $25-$33k range, I would take the Mazda 6 over the Camry. I haven't driven the new Camry. The last 2 generation that I test drove, l immediately turned around and got out of the car. The drive was uninspiring.

Features are nothing nowadays. A Toyota Corolla XLE could have all the fancy gizmos that the Camry or the IS has but it doesn't make it any better than a Camry. Automotive technology is advancing at an incredible pace where it will overlap into another segment. What makes Lexus stand out now is driving dynamics and customer service.
Old 01-23-18, 06:51 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually... you're wrong. While the 2018 Camry XSE V6 does come with features the Lexus does not have, *its not missing absolutely nothing.* Off the top of my head, the Camry XSE V6 still has the "basic" traditional gauges while the Lexus runs LFA-Style digital gauges.
Traditional gauges are better.

The Camry XSE V6 is definitely a way better car than its predecessor, but I honestly don't think it makes it better than say a Lexus. Think about it this way - the Camry XSE V6 has almost the same amount of features as a 2018 Audi A4 Prestige, even one up'ing the Audi with a Pano roof. Does this make the Camry XSE V6 better than the Audi A4? Probably not. Just like how it won't make it better than the Lexus 3IS.
Well, it's FWD. That's a huge negative.
Old 01-23-18, 07:10 PM
MX73
Racer

On the gauge part, not all IS have the LF-A inspired gauge.
Old 01-23-18, 08:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

On the gauge part, not all IS have the LF-A inspired gauge.
The unfortunate ones do not. Analog gauges look 20th century old and am glad most of the luxury marquees are transitioning to digital
Old 01-24-18, 04:38 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

It's just midsize entry level Camry versus compact luxury IS.
In other words, midsize & entry level, versus compact with quality.
Size or quality?
Pick whichever best fulfils your needs, wants and tastes.

Myself? I'd go for quality.
The IS has a long wheelbase with the engine mounted longitudinally behind the front axle for a near 50/50 weight distribution for more front end grip.
The IS has front double wishbone and rear multilink suspension to keep the tires more perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip.
The IS has rear wheel drive for power oversteer, in other words, throttle steer - which is much less hard work in experienced hands.

Money?
You'll get what you pay for.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Although the Law of Diminishing Returns holds true; twice the price, but never twice the car...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-24-18 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 09:53 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I recently test drove a v6 camry top of the line

it was white
quad exhaust
red interior leather
panoramic glass roof

it drove nice. V6 has enough power. However suspensioneft me wanting. Additionally interior quality and center console felt cheap to me. Asking price was $34,700.

If if I wanted midsize family car, I would get a 2.0T Accord. Head and shoulders above new Camry imho
Quad exhaust on the Camry XSE are fake. Two of the tips are fake and its actually blocked off. The quad exhaust is for show. The Camry XSE is still a dual exhaust car similar to the previous gen.

Originally Posted by E46CT
As far as solidity, the new Camry is stronger structurally, more advanced, than the 3IS body. The next gen- IS is sure to be based on Toyota's newest platform. Currently, AFAIK, the new Prius and new Camry are the only Toyota products to use this new body. It's just a next generation platform. IS isn't bad but it's a bit stale.

In terms of overall, yes Lexus will have a bit more polish and than a Toyota product. But as far as underpinnings, structural rigidity, torsional rigidity, body materials, the Prius/Camry are superior to the IS.

The RC has a good strong platform but it's not efficient. It's hodge-podged and as a result, heavy. The RX, NX, and LS are pretty good. The IS and GS are a bit old with the GS being the flimsiest (body wise) of the bunch.
I just want to point a correction. The Lexus RC, GS and IS all share the same platform, the New N Platform. Also - the IS/GS (New N Platform) isn't old. Its first introduced in 2012 by the Lexus GS. As of today, its only 6 years old. A typical production platform is usually 2 generations to get the moneys worth. Lexus will likely run the next gen GS/IS/RC on the New N Platform one more time before switching over to the TNGA - if they are even planning to at all.

I know these posts are old. But I just want to add a few addition information for people still looking at Camry VS IS debate. Personally - if you really look down the comparison between the Camry XSE vs Lexus IS, I still think (in my opinion) the Lexus still comes out on top. The Lexus IS might not have the HUD, 360 Camera or Pano roof but the Lexus has LFA digital gauges, a larger 10+ inch navi display with split screen (which can sub for the HUD), extra minor features throughout the car, and etc... At the end of the day, Toyota is company that's in it for the money. While the Toyota Camry is there best selling car, the Camry XSE isn't. They mostly sell Camry LE/SE. With that said, they will never make a Toyota Camry XSE better than an entry-level Lexus IS - it just won't be good for business.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 03-26-18 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 10:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The Camry can not possibly be better than the IS. It's wrong wheel drive and that will forever make the Camry waaaay inferior.
Old 03-26-18, 11:39 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Camry can not possibly be better than the IS. It's wrong wheel drive and that will forever make the Camry waaaay inferior.
I think that the post was saying in terms of chassis rigidity, the Camry's platform is better. I doubt that it "drives better" than the IS on the whole. Supposedly the LC is the most rigid car Lexus has ever produced, so I expect improvements for the GS and IS later on as well.
Old 03-26-18, 02:00 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think that the post was saying in terms of chassis rigidity, the Camry's platform is better. I doubt that it "drives better" than the IS on the whole. Supposedly the LC is the most rigid car Lexus has ever produced, so I expect improvements for the GS and IS later on as well.
I believe the platform improvements will be awhile before it reaches the GS/IS/RC line-up. They introduced the New N Platform in 2012 with the GS starting the lead. Toyota, as a business, would milk the platform before switching over. Given that the New N Platform is only 6 years old, I predict the Lexus IS will make it to the TNGA platform by the 5th generation. The next car to make it onto the TNGA platform is most likely the redesigned Lexus ES (when it releases) since its based on the Camry.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 2018 Camry from IS owners?!