IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should I buy the AFE cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 08:02 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Should I buy the AFE cold air intake?

I am interested in buying this https://afepower.com/afe-power-tr-20...-intake-system

I have looked over this forum and on youtube videos for reviews and people's opinions on this intake. One thing that I am absolutely confident in is the sound improvement it gives. However, when it comes to the topic of acceleration some people have said there is a noticeable difference, while some have expressed disappointment in the lack of difference in speed. Can anyone with the AFE CAI give me their feedback before I make a decision?
Old 10-30-17, 08:17 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Throttle response, no much else from my experience
Old 10-30-17, 09:09 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you have a 250 or 350? I have it on my GS and I love it. I was worried about losing my stock sound generator which I thought sounded pretty good, but this was a improvement on the sound. I don't remember exactly the power difference, it feels like it has more power. I have the Takeda and the Apexi accel, and between the 2 I'm never really left wanting more. It sounds great under acceleration, earlier I was in a area that after turning at a light its under a freeway bridge, and I always rip the car there. From 1st I accelerated and floor it and the noise echos so loud that it sounds like a completely different car, extremely aggressive. I'd love to hear it from the outside to see how loud it is. I need to take a video to show how it sounds next time I'm in that area. What I like about it is that I can keep my exhaust stock(for now), but when I want extra noise I can rip it higher in the RPM range. And when driving normally you wouldn't think I had anything. I've had CAI in many cars some of which didn't really add much. Stock air box designs in general are going to probably be more efficient. The Takeda design is pretty good because it uses the stock air inlet to at least push some air into the filter where it would be stock. Overall get it if you want to have a much more aggressive sound and maybe a slight power increase at higher RPM's. It probably doesn't offer much for gas milage.
Old 10-30-17, 10:55 PM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock intake is good enough for whatever you're doing. If you just want sound, probably do something like a muffler delete or change your exhaust. I don't want to push things onto your agenda, but here are a few things to consider:

1. The change is most likely to be negligible, maybe a 5 hp gain and a little more torque. Do you really need 5 more hp?
2. Your car won't go any faster because you gained 5 hp. Can you tell the horsepower difference? Do you care or do you want other people to care?
3. The cost and labor alone to install this is $350 + labor. Is it worth it?

If you answered all these questions, it is your decision to buy the cold air intake.
Old 10-30-17, 11:02 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

All our customers that bought it don't regret it. So why not.

Contact us for yours. Promo ends today! (31st)

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-31-17, 05:01 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have one and I love it. In my opinion it's mostly for the sound. I don't feel any performance differences. And you won't even hear a difference at lower RPMs.
Old 10-31-17, 05:40 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

I have it and love it.

Wasn't expecting to make any kind of power out of it but it sounds great
Old 10-31-17, 08:41 AM
ArmaEdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it and love it as well. Takes 30 minutes to install yourself you just need a socket wrench set and youtube. Super easy literally my 5 year old nephew can do it.
Old 10-31-17, 02:15 PM
Saneddie
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have it. It sounds great on high rpms but, I doubt you can feel any difference in performance like others have said. It does look nice under the hood and is really easy to install. You can install it yourself within 30mins. Just need a 10mm socket/wrench, some pliers, and a phillips screwdriver and maybe some Mass air flow cleaner. I used R0shiro's diy to install mine. IMO it's worth it for the sound and the looks but, if you're only hoping for performance I'd spend my money elsewhere.