IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hardwiring Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 02:45 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by suginathan
In my case where I am installing just the dashcam, do I need to worry about the rear camera feed? Could I not tap into the rearview mirror and that would be all I need to do? I also want to make this a clean install so I wanted to avoid the cigarette lighter socket. I don't mind doing it this way if the other options don't work well for my case. Hope to hear back! Thanks!
if you have a 2 channel system (front and rear camera). there's a signal wire that runs from wherever you place the rear camera and it has to connect to the front. wherever you run it is up to you. you can go along the trim along the door and pillars, or under panels just like you would stereo wires. that wire is going to have to be run unless you don't want to use your rear camera. id refer to the blackvue diy i linked earlier. as far as a power source for your dashcam it's up to you. if you shorten your cables and get taps you can tap into the harness by the rear view mirror. if you don't want to do that, then you can opt for the "add a fuse" method and use the fusebox. both methods will come out clean. it's really just up to what you have available to you.
Old 10-24-17, 11:00 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by suginathan
In my case where I am installing just the dashcam, do I need to worry about the rear camera feed? Could I not tap into the rearview mirror and that would be all I need to do? I also want to make this a clean install so I wanted to avoid the cigarette lighter socket. I don't mind doing it this way if the other options don't work well for my case. Hope to hear back! Thanks!
In your case since you have Viofo A119s it will work fine from just rearview mirror feed. I don't think A119s comes with rear camera (2 channels).
Old 10-15-18, 01:15 PM
thehank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m having a heck of a time hardwiring in my 2016 IS300. I know where the ground wire goes, but can’t find an actual diagram other than what’s on the actual fuse cover. I already ran/hid the cable from the R to the F cameras.

Installing Thinkware F800 Pro:
Battery goes into a fuse that has voltage while car is off (for parking mode)
ACC goes into a fuse that has no voltage while car is off (normal recording while driving.)

Battery = radio fuse
ACC wire = ? which fuse/location do you recommend?

Isn’t the add-a-fuse redundant? You still have to find 2 fuses correct? One for battery and other for ignition? I don’t see the point. Am I missing something?

Old 10-15-18, 01:25 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by thehank
I’m having a heck of a time hardwiring in my 2016 IS300. I know where the ground wire goes, but can’t find an actual diagram other than what’s on the actual fuse cover. I already ran/hid the cable from the R to the F cameras.

ACC goes into a fuse that has no voltage while car is off (normal recording while driving.)

Battery = radio fuse

Isn’t the add-a-fuse redundant? You still have to find 2 fuses correct? One for battery and other for ignition? I don’t see the point. Am I missing something?
Sounds redundant to me.. I'm prolly not the best person to suggest anything about this, but I hardwired my Rexing 2-channel myself. Im only using the Hazard 15A fuse for both driving while recording and for "parking mode." I have that in quotes cause I dont have an actual parking mode, I just leave it on but only for short absences cause I dont want to drain my battery. Maybe you could try the Hazard fuse?
Old 10-15-18, 03:00 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thehank

Battery = radio fuse

I used the ignition fuse for the acc wire, and hazards for the power. Then just a random bolt that goes into the body for ground. When i added my external battery pack, i only needed the acc tap and ground. The battery pack itself had a receiving end for the signal. Power and ground
Old 10-15-18, 03:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

no need for all that jive. The necessary wires are available using one thing: your thumb.

pull down the map light console from the roof and there's two wiring harnesses. each harness has one wire you need. one 12v switched and one ground. use multimeter.
Old 11-08-18, 07:30 AM
mkaiseraz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
no need for all that jive. The necessary wires are available using one thing: your thumb.

pull down the map light console from the roof and there's two wiring harnesses. each harness has one wire you need. one 12v switched and one ground. use multimeter.
Do you know if this is also true in a 2018 RX 350? That would surely make for a cleaner install.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 01-21-19, 08:59 PM
780IS350f
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsx
the bottom slot goes for the original fuse. the top one is the added fuse. it actually matters the orientation that you plug the fuse tap in the fuse box because it would dictate whether or not the added fuse is being used. don't insert the top fuse and see if whatever you're adding works. if it works without the fuse then you gotta flip it around. if you want i can snap a picture of what mine looks like
Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing a pic of your fuse box? I just installed a front/rear blackvue camera using fuse taps and I'm having some issues with orientation.
Old 01-21-19, 09:10 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 780IS350f
Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing a pic of your fuse box? I just installed a front/rear blackvue camera using fuse taps and I'm having some issues with orientation.
I'll send em over when I get a chance, my cars in the body shop atm
Old 01-21-19, 09:10 PM
780IS350f
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 04-21-21, 10:19 PM
780IS350f
Driver School Candidate

Any chance you have that picture of your fuse box? I am having issues with my battery draining. I suspect it might be the dashcam. Thanks!

Last edited by 780IS350f; 04-21-21 at 10:37 PM.