IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Prepping the car to return lease

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 10:05 AM
mickydoyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping the car to return lease

Well my lease is up this month unfortunately. Absolutely enjoyed every minute of this car.

Don't have any big mods but I'll need to remove the roof & emblem wrap. Do I need to invest in a heat gun for this or simply just start peeling? I saw a couple videos with guys using a razor blade but that seems downright risky.

I have a tiny chip in the windshield and bumper damage from not aligning the jack property when changing a tire (don't ask). Are they going to rake me over the coals at Inspection? Worth getting these items fixed beforehand?

Old 10-03-17, 10:10 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Post some pictures of what you’re referencing
Old 10-03-17, 10:12 AM
ChineseKFC
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

you don't need need a heat gun, you could use a blow dryer and get it off the wraps.
Old 10-03-17, 10:29 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

just leave the roof wrap, I don't think they would mention it.
Old 10-03-17, 11:19 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wrap will take 10 minutes to get off if you heat it up a bit (i.e. really easy).

If it leaves residue behind, use 70% IPA with a microfiber towel for cleanup.
Old 10-03-17, 06:51 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's one thing I'll let you know from my personal experience regarding the chipped windshield and the inspection. I'm not sure if all dealerships are like this or if it was just my dealership. My last Lexus was a lease and I had stopped by the dealership for an inspection because they kept calling me to come by for an early lease return. I wasn't sure if I wanted to return the car early so I went in with all my mods and whatnot still on the car. After the inspection they surprisingly told me that there was zero issues with the car other than the mileage overage, and after asking them multiple times they told me if there were any issues they would have shown up during the inspection. A couple months after trading in the car for a new one, I get a bill from Lexus Financial stating that they found a rock chip in the windshield and that it was going to cost me $1K for it. They also charged me for removed emblems in the back. I have windshield coverage through my insurance so if I had known then I would have taken care of the windshield prior to returning the car. But yea, just keep that in mind when talking to your dealership about your return.
Old 10-04-17, 07:59 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Schedule a pre-inspection ASAP to avoid any surprise charges. You can either call (855) 90-MY-LFS or visit AutoVIN 15 to 60 days before your lease ends to schedule an appointment.
Remember to have your VIN number and LFS account number if you want to make your appointment online.

They will come to you, inspect your car, and email you a print out in 24-48 hours of things that need to be addressed, and an estimate of charges if not. If they don't say anything about the vinyl wrapping, then just leave it.
Old 10-04-17, 08:27 AM
nabeel24
Rookie

Just curious, I’ll be turning my lease in within the next month or 2 as well. How is Lexus with door dings, light scratches and stuff like that?

Wondering what hat I’ll have to go through for the return as well.
Old 10-04-17, 11:11 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by nabeel24
Just curious, I’ll be turning my lease in within the next month or 2 as well. How is Lexus with door dings, light scratches and stuff like that?

Wondering what hat I’ll have to go through for the return as well.
That's why you get a pre-inspection and they will tell you what needs to be addressed. Then you fix whatever needs to be addressed (major dents/scratches, windshield crack, tires, etc.) and return it without any additional problems. From experience, they usually aren't too picky...they only really looking for excessive wear.

Excessive Wear Guidelines:
https://m.lexusfinancial.com/pub/sta...ear---use.html
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (10-04-17)
Old 10-04-17, 09:02 PM
mickydoyle
Driver School Candidate

My third-party inspection is tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

So my car is at 35k miles & I have been slacking on getting the 30k maintenance package at the dealer. I've done all of the previously recommended maintenance at the dealer since mile 1. Now that I'm getting ready to turn her in, I wouldn't mind skipping the $400+ charge I'm hearing this 30k maintenance can cost. If the inspector brings up maintenance history I'll address it & go get the thing scheduled. If not, am I gonna get a hefty bill 3 months later from LFS like the guy above?
Old 10-04-17, 09:53 PM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mickydoyle
My third-party inspection is tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

So my car is at 35k miles & I have been slacking on getting the 30k maintenance package at the dealer. I've done all of the previously recommended maintenance at the dealer since mile 1. Now that I'm getting ready to turn her in, I wouldn't mind skipping the $400+ charge I'm hearing this 30k maintenance can cost. If the inspector brings up maintenance history I'll address it & go get the thing scheduled. If not, am I gonna get a hefty bill 3 months later from LFS like the guy above?
They didn't give me any issues with the maintenance. I only did an oil change every 10k, and the car had 40k+ miles when I turned her in.
Old 10-04-17, 11:40 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything like rock chips or light scratches would be considered normal wear and tear. (According to my wife’s scion dealer) if it’s major and noticeable like a curbed wheel or heavy mods, take it off and/or be prepared to pay a little extra for the damage
Old 10-05-17, 02:23 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the car as is. It’s a rental car at the end of the day. As long as there is no major dents or scuffs you’re good. Don’t even bother washing the car. At the end of the day it’s not yours
Old 10-05-17, 06:20 PM
mickydoyle
Driver School Candidate

Well there's the report. Very fast & easy process. I was a little confused at first watching the bill rack up but it appears they chalked it up to normal wear & tear. Not sure why they have dollar values listed for items they aren't charging for.
Old 10-05-17, 07:01 PM
nabeel24
Rookie

Originally Posted by mickydoyle

Well there's the report. Very fast & easy process. I was a little confused at first watching the bill rack up but it appears they chalked it up to normal wear & tear. Not sure why they have dollar values listed for items they aren't charging for.
How’d you go about scheduling the inspection? Was it through Lexus Financial Services?
Also how soon did they come after booking the inspection? Need to get it done for my car as well?