IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 10:44 PM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Help!!!

So I just bought a set of TE37 wheels second hand. 19x8.5 +22 front, 19x9.5 +22 rear. Front tires are215/35R19 and rear is 245/35R19. Stock height on IS3 F Sport, but hearing some rubbing in the back on freeway bumps and speed bumps, and some front in front when turning and hitting bumps. Want to drop car, but am thinking I need to make sure I put the right set of tires on before moving forward. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-17, 11:42 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The rubbing is not a tire issue. Your offsets are too low and regardless of the tires you go with you'll experience rubbing.
Old 09-10-17, 12:06 AM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Miintt
The rubbing is not a tire issue. Your offsets are too low and regardless of the tires you go with you'll experience rubbing.
I don't think it is the offset. The addition to the tire width compensates for the offset, any greater an offset will cause wheel to hit suspension. Lined up and measuring, rims clear every aspect of the vehicle. I can see where the tire is marking, and simply a tire size change should suffice. Given that I see some guys on here running far greater offsets on same or wider width wheels and offsets tells me the same as well.
Old 09-10-17, 12:41 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

offset is too aggressive. either get less aggressive wheels or you will have to do fender mods
Old 09-10-17, 01:18 AM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tea
offset is too aggressive. either get less aggressive wheels or you will have to do fender mods
wait so first it was to low, now too high?!?!
Old 09-10-17, 01:22 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the lower the number, the more aggressive ...
Old 09-10-17, 02:13 AM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tea
the lower the number, the more aggressive ...
I don't think you understand what my specs are. +22 offset brings the wheel closer to the outside, the width of the wheels are compensated for with that offset (+22 is just under 1"). I am simply asking for a tire size option that those in my position have experienced. You cant change the dimensions of the wheels, but you can with the tire.

Last edited by Fpsboon; 09-10-17 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-10-17, 03:06 AM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Anybody know this guy? Is he still active on forums? He has pretty much the same exact specs except for the rear, but looks identical otherwise. I messaged him, but don't look he has been on forums in a while. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3...lk-te37-s.html
Old 09-10-17, 05:38 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm running Rays TE37 Ultra
19" 8.5 +35 ( 235/35-19 )
19" 9.5 +35 ( 255/35-19 )

No rubbing at all. So, maybe you need to change your tire size.

Tire Help!!!-photo851.jpg
Tire Help!!!-photo492.jpg
Tire Help!!!-photo919.jpg
Old 09-10-17, 07:53 AM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fpsboon
I don't think you understand what my specs are. +22 offset brings the wheel closer to the outside, the width of the wheels are compensated for with that offset (+22 is just under 1"). I am simply asking for a tire size option that those in my position have experienced. You cant change the dimensions of the wheels, but you can with the tire.
I believe there is a misunderstanding of how offsets work. The stock rear wheels are +50 offset, so a +22 on the same width would make the wheel stick out 28mm (1.1") further, but you also went wider by 1 inch so that's another 1/2 inch that the face (lip) of the wheel moves outward, for a grand total of 40mm (1.6") of wheel face (lip) extension, which will at least put the face (lip) of the wheel proud of the rear fender by 10 or 15 mm. I think that will rub no matter the tire? Especially if lowered.

edit: used "face" instead of "lip" to describe outermost part of rim. Lip is the better term. Edited for clarity.

Last edited by volthause; 09-10-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-10-17, 09:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by volthause
I believe there is a misunderstanding of how offsets work. The stock rear wheels are +50 offset, so a +22 on the same width would make the wheel stick out 28mm (1.1") further, but you also went wider by 1 inch so that's another 1/2 inch that the face of the wheel moves outward, for a grand total of 40mm (1.6") of wheel face extension, which will at least put the face of the wheel proud of the rear fender by 10 or 15 mm. I think that will rub no matter the tire? Especially if lowered.
^^ +1...the issue is not the tire. You could put any size tire on the rear and it will still rub.
The offset is the issue...however you want to phrase it...too aggressive, too low, or whatever.

I'm guessing you have a 215 on the front because a bigger tire would also rub. I don't think I've seen anyone with a 215 on the front with a 19X8.5 rim.
The pic of Reeladdict's vehicle has an offset on the rear that is 12mm more than yours...that's 0.5 inch...not really close to yours.
And he also mentions that he rubs and is going to pull the rears...so even at his specs he wasn't clearing....which means at your specs you were definitely going to rub.
Old 09-10-17, 12:11 PM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
^^ +1...the issue is not the tire. You could put any size tire on the rear and it will still rub.
The offset is the issue...however you want to phrase it...too aggressive, too low, or whatever.

I'm guessing you have a 215 on the front because a bigger tire would also rub. I don't think I've seen anyone with a 215 on the front with a 19X8.5 rim.
The pic of Reeladdict's vehicle has an offset on the rear that is 12mm more than yours...that's 0.5 inch...not really close to yours.
And he also mentions that he rubs and is going to pull the rears...so even at his specs he wasn't clearing....which means at your specs you were definitely going to rub.
Just to be clear, the tires that are on the rims now we're for the vehicle the wheels came off of. I know I am going to have to mod the gender, and see where because of these tires. Maybe I should be clearer on my questions. I am asking on suggested tires sizes!!! I simply are looking for tires sizes from people who have run specs like mine. The fronts can be corrected with tires, the rear corrected with tires and a slight mod.
Old 09-10-17, 12:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fpsboon
Just to be clear, the tires that are on the rims now we're for the vehicle the wheels came off of. I know I am going to have to mod the gender, and see where because of these tires. Maybe I should be clearer on my questions. I am asking on suggested tires sizes!!! I simply are looking for tires sizes from people who have run specs like mine. The fronts can be corrected with tires, the rear corrected with tires and a slight mod.
I guess everyone responding was of the mindset that no tire change is going to correct the offset issue, so suggesting a different size wouldn't make the situation better.
Since I don't believe anyone on here is running +22 offsets all around, if you're waiting for them to respond it's likely going to be a long wait.
If you plan to mod the fenders, then an appropriate size tire, based on your rim width and height, but not offset, would be 225/35/19 front and 255/30/19 rear.
From there you can mod the fenders to make those wheels fit. If you plan to lower the car, then I suggest doing that before modding the fenders since you will need to pull them even further once lowered.
Adjustable camber arms for the front and rear will help you tuck the wheels in if you need that little extra to make them clear.
The following users liked this post:
LexSense (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 12:47 PM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I guess everyone responding was of the mindset that no tire change is going to correct the offset issue, so suggesting a different size wouldn't make the situation better.
Since I don't believe anyone on here is running +22 offsets all around, if you're waiting for them to respond it's likely going to be a long wait.
If you plan to mod the fenders, then an appropriate size tire, based on your rim width and height, but not offset, would be 225/35/19 front and 255/30/19 rear.
From there you can mod the fenders to make those wheels fit. If you plan to lower the car, then I suggest doing that before modding the fenders since you will need to pull them even further once lowered.
Adjustable camber arms for the front and rear will help you tuck the wheels in if you need that little extra to make them clear.
Thank you, I have seen those tire sizes on another post, but from 2010. I have ordered a set like them already, but was trying to see if there other specs.

Trying to reach this dude, he is actually running the exact same set up. But looks inactive.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...x9-5-22-a.html
Old 09-10-17, 01:08 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The 225/35 and 255/30 are probably the second most common after 235/35 and 265/30...but for you, a bigger tire is going to cause even more issues.
The 225/35 and 255/30 are the same circumference as the factory F sport wheels, so going smaller is not recommended.
In the link you sent, I think the guy was selling them because they were rubbing...if you look at the last pic of the wheel close up you can see on the sidewall where it was rubbing on the fender.
The side of the car pic shows the wheel sticking out quite a bit. It looked like it might have been stock height, or lowered just a little.

Quick Reply: Tire Help!!!