IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 02:30 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have only join this forum for a year and the number of posts I see people go out and drop big dollars on wheels and tires, than realize the fitment causes rubbing. It really isn't hard to do a bit of research on the topic. Stock values are readily available all over the internet, the farther you deviate from those stock values, the higher chances you will experience fitment issues.
Old 09-10-17, 03:51 PM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The 225/35 and 255/30 are probably the second most common after 235/35 and 265/30...but for you, a bigger tire is going to cause even more issues.
The 225/35 and 255/30 are the same circumference as the factory F sport wheels, so going smaller is not recommended.
In the link you sent, I think the guy was selling them because they were rubbing...if you look at the last pic of the wheel close up you can see on the sidewall where it was rubbing on the fender.
The side of the car pic shows the wheel sticking out quite a bit. It looked like it might have been stock height, or lowered just a little.
the 225/35 and 255/30 is what I have on order. I also modified the gender slightly with the oversized tires now and the rubbing is gone. Once I get the new tires I will determine what I want to do with the drop and whether I want to pull the gender a little out and clear for a drop.
Old 09-10-17, 03:53 PM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
I have only join this forum for a year and the number of posts I see people go out and drop big dollars on wheels and tires, than realize the fitment causes rubbing. It really isn't hard to do a bit of research on the topic. Stock values are readily available all over the internet, the farther you deviate from those stock values, the higher chances you will experience fitment issues.
bought the wheels because it was a sweet deal, and I researched the offset and fitment, I has been done. All I was looking for was a tire and mod recommendation. But seems like a lot of people want to throw their 2 cents on what they have read, and not actually encountered. Balling on a budget means adjusting on the fly.
Old 09-10-17, 05:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Fpsboon
bought the wheels because it was a sweet deal, and I researched the offset and fitment, I has been done. All I was looking for was a tire and mod recommendation. But seems like a lot of people want to throw their 2 cents on what they have read, and not actually encountered. Balling on a budget means adjusting on the fly.
Sometimes it's hard to pass up a good deal. Based on the links you posted to other members wheels and in your research, I'm sure you realized that going into it the tires would rub.
And I think 'can be done' is relative...with enough money, anything can be done...some folks just have a line in the sand where cost eclipses the end result and they go in another direction.
Here's one that 'made it fit': https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-build-11.html (see post 160 and 165 on that page)
Personally I'm not ready to go that far to make wheels fit...
Old 09-10-17, 06:26 PM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fpsboon
Only other suggestion is machine the mating surface of the wheels down about 16 to 18mm. That would put you at +38 to +40 fitment in the rear which is pretty flush for a 9.5" wide rear rim.
Old 09-10-17, 07:07 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by volthause
Only other suggestion is machine the mating surface of the wheels down about 16 to 18mm. That would put you at +38 to +40 fitment in the rear which is pretty flush for a 9.5" wide rear rim.
That's a lot to machine off...the backplate better be super thick to support loosing that much material.
Old 09-10-17, 07:16 PM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That's a lot to machine off...the backplate better be super thick to support loosing that much material.
Oh yeah no doubt. It's likely that going that far would put you at or through the cone seat on the far side. But I'd have to hold the rim in my hands before I went firm yay or nay.
Old 09-11-17, 02:40 PM
Fpsboon
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah no doubt. It's likely that going that far would put you at or through the cone seat on the far side. But I'd have to hold the rim in my hands before I went firm yay or nay.
i already plan to pull the fenders. I am replacing tires in a week and before I drop I am going to check and determine how much I want to pull the fenders.