IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 09:05 AM
chdx2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bulb replacement

Anyone know of where to find a DIY for headlight bulb replacement? I've got a Canadian 2014 IS350 F Sport. It's single lens so I've assumed they're HID and have bought D4S bulbs, but I cant seem to reach the bulb area. Looking to see what's the easiest way to go about doing this. Haven't been able to find a DIY for 3IS
Or has anyone had Lexus change their bulb and how much did that cost?
Old 09-06-17, 09:10 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Did you check the Owners Manual? They have bulb replacement instructions in there for several bulbs on the vehicle. i'd like to think headlight should be one of them.
And stop stealing our cars!!! LOL!!! Usually Canadians are trying to get US vehicles.
Old 09-06-17, 09:33 AM
chdx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Did you check the Owners Manual? They have bulb replacement instructions in there for several bulbs on the vehicle. i'd like to think headlight should be one of them.
And stop stealing our cars!!! LOL!!! Usually Canadians are trying to get US vehicles.
I did, only had replacements for fog, turn signal, and tail lights. It said if I needed headlights replaced, contact Lexus dealer. The US/CAD exchange at the time was just too good to pass up at the time sorry lol.
Old 09-06-17, 01:22 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The HIDs has high voltage ballast so the manual would not recommend this for a DIY.
If you're not comfortable doing this, bring it to a mechanic.
Old 09-06-17, 01:44 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

That's a valid point, however, once the vehicle is off, and the circuit is off, there is no more inherent danger to changing an HID bulb than there is in changing a regular halogen bulb.
The high voltage produced in an HID system (approx. 25,000 volts) occurs at the time the bulb is ignited.
Once the bulb is lit, the operating voltage is approx. 80-90 volts.
Guaranteed I wouldn't be poking at the system once it's on, but otherwise, if it's off, the circuit is safe...well, as safe as any other circuit in the vehicle can be with the car battery connected.
To be cautious, the fuse for the circuit could be removed...or...disconnect the battery. But then there are issues that come along with disconnecting the battery.

I recall now in one post about changing the bulb, that the ballast was basically like a large bulb base. Simply turning the ballast in one direction (can't remember which, but would assume counter-clockwise), the ballast would be released from the headlight and the bulb could be replaced. And then simply reinstall in reverse order.
Old 09-06-17, 01:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Found it:

By the way. In case this needs to be stickyed because I havnt seen anything about this replacement.

1. Remove battery terminals and remove the connectors from battery
2. Remove plastic front engine cover by removing all small plastic clips (similar to all previous gens)
3. Remove plastic funnel for windshield wiper fluid (lift up)
4. Remove gray plug from light ballast (make sure to not break this as it has a lever so it comes off)
5. Turn ballast counter clockwise and remove
6. Remove the connector from the ballast to the bulb by turning opposite of the lock emblem
7. You will then have access to the bulb with two metal retainer clips (similar to all previous gens)
6. Replace bulb (DO NOT TOUCH BULB DIRECTLY)
7. Repeat steps in opposite order. Making sure that the wiring is not caught up and goes back into the ballast properly
The following users liked this post:
EoIS300NJ (09-28-20)
Old 09-06-17, 01:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Correct as you are likely new to this, know that the HID system could instantly kill you if not handled correctly.

If you must do it yourself, disconnect battery and look around. Shouldnt be that hard to access.
Old 09-06-17, 02:30 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
..know that the HID system could instantly kill you if not handled correctly...
That is a broad and general statement...and highly misleading.
You can literally say that about anything that has any degree of risk associated with it.
Perhaps some context would make the message a little clearer.
Old 09-07-17, 10:08 PM
chdx2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Found it:

By the way. In case this needs to be stickyed because I havnt seen anything about this replacement.

1. Remove battery terminals and remove the connectors from battery
2. Remove plastic front engine cover by removing all small plastic clips (similar to all previous gens)
3. Remove plastic funnel for windshield wiper fluid (lift up)
4. Remove gray plug from light ballast (make sure to not break this as it has a lever so it comes off)
5. Turn ballast counter clockwise and remove
6. Remove the connector from the ballast to the bulb by turning opposite of the lock emblem
7. You will then have access to the bulb with two metal retainer clips (similar to all previous gens)
6. Replace bulb (DO NOT TOUCH BULB DIRECTLY)
7. Repeat steps in opposite order. Making sure that the wiring is not caught up and goes back into the ballast properly
I'll give this a try. Thanks.

I've installed and replaced HIDs on my Civic and RSX in the past by myself which is why I'm kind of reluctant to pay someone ~ $100 to fix one bulb. But if I have to...damn you Lexus! lol.