IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Maintenance price

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 10:34 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Maintenance price

Is it just me or lexus' prices just keeps going up every year? I just did 20k service from the dealership and it costed me $325.

Thing is that I really don't mind the price if the service is worth it but when their 10k service (which is literally the same thing as 20k service, an oil change and a cabin filter) costs $220. They are just ripping us off. The service advisor couldn't even answer why the price was different.

I paid $300 for my mercedes for the same service and at least their parts costs more than a lexus. What's their excuse? This is going to be the last time I'm going to a dealership for anything.

Oh and they told me that my brakes and tires are about half way done when I just changed them about 1000 miles ago.

Just had to vent. I just hate getting robbed by everything now days.

Last edited by jkonquer; 08-30-17 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 12:05 AM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never let a dealer touch my car unless it's covered under warrenty. I go to firestone for oil changes, about $70-$80 and do everything else myself
Old 08-31-17, 05:09 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I called the dealer to find out what my 30K would cost knowing that it also required a brake fluid change. I was quoted over $900.
The kicker is that nobody would give me a price of the service without tire rotation (staggered), cabin filter, air filter and wiper change (I had my own).
I found an indy shop for less than a third of the price. It's really a shame that dealers treat customers this way.
Old 08-31-17, 06:41 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Take it to your local Toyota dealer and spend 1/2 what Lexus would charge for the same 30K service. Better yet, pay for the oil change, DIY wipers, DIY filters (engine and cabin) , DIY brake fluid change, check (observe) coolant and washer fluids keep receipts/document mileage and date for warranty purposes. This will save a lot of $$$ and you get to familiarize yourself with your car. By doing this, you have just completed the factory recommended 30k service.
Old 08-31-17, 06:45 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

yeah, I asked him the same thing about 30k. It is pretty much the same thing as 10k or 20k service with brake fluid flush. But costs $600. It makes no sense.
Old 08-31-17, 06:48 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Take it to your local Toyota dealer and spend 1/2 what Lexus would charge for the same 30K service. Better yet, pay for the oil change, DIY wipers, DIY filters (engine and cabin) , DIY brake fluid change, check (observe) coolant and washer fluids keep receipts/document mileage and date for warranty purposes. This will save a lot of $$$ and you get to familiarize yourself with your car. By doing this, you have just completed the factory recommended 30k service.
I've done most of the maintenance on my other vesicles. But I left it for dealers for my luxury vehicles since they cost more if anything happens. I really don't mind paying $100.for oil change or $100 for filter change. But I just don't like to pay for that "mysterious" extra $100. But i'm going to start doing them now.
Old 08-31-17, 07:04 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I called one of our local Toyota dealers (not all), they said that they don't service Lexus vehicles.
Old 08-31-17, 08:07 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I called one of our local Toyota dealers (not all), they said that they don't service Lexus vehicles.
Not even an oil change? I don't understand; Toyota is a parent company of Lexus and previous Scion. They should be able to service them. They're the same 3.5L engine but tuned differently. This is strange. They must don't want to make money.
Old 08-31-17, 08:13 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I've done most of the maintenance on my other vesicles. But I left it for dealers for my luxury vehicles since they cost more if anything happens. I really don't mind paying $100.for oil change or $100 for filter change. But I just don't like to pay for that "mysterious" extra $100. But i'm going to start doing them now.
Start looking on eBay, amazon or online Toyota/Lexus part site for the OEM filters. These dealers make a killing off simple things and taking advantage of the "badge". 9/10 when you look for Lexus parts, then will be provided from Toyota. Google part # because depending on RWD of AWD, fitment may wary. Or ask on here, most of us will be glad to help.
Old 08-31-17, 08:13 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Not even an oil change? I don't understand; Toyota is a parent company of Lexus and previous Scion. They should be able to service them. They're the same 3.5L engine but tuned differently. This is strange. They must don't want to make money.
I agree, since every part I ever order for my "Lexus" has "Toyota" all over the box. Maybe other Toyota dealerships would service it, but I found an indy shop that specializes in Lexus vehicles that I'm pleased with, so I'll just go there.
Old 08-31-17, 08:17 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I agree, since every part I ever order for my "Lexus" has "Toyota" all over the box. Maybe other Toyota dealerships would service it, but I found an indy shop that specializes in Lexus vehicles that I'm pleased with, so I'll just go there.
Glad you found a compromise. Just make sure they put the oil you want if u haven't already done so. off topic, loving the Nebula grey look man. Cant go wrong with silver and grey.
Old 08-31-17, 08:46 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

off topic, loving the Nebula grey look man. Cant go wrong with silver and grey.
Thanks!! side note - I'm a gal.

Once I saw that the owner's girlfriend drove an IS-F, I felt pretty good about the place. I think the guy used to work at Lexus.
Old 08-31-17, 09:16 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Cool

Thanks!! side note - I'm a gal.

Once I saw that the owner's girlfriend drove an IS-F, I felt pretty good about the place. I think the guy used to work at Lexus.
I apologize. My bad.
Old 08-31-17, 09:39 AM
spraytask
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe how much lexus charges for the maintenance. Anyone in so cal recommend any indy shops?? I'll go anywhere in the inland empire or OC.
Old 08-31-17, 10:07 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I apologize. My bad.
No need to apologize, I seem to be one of very few on here.

Quick Reply: Maintenance price