IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Maintenance price

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 12:34 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a tough conundrum with dealers. You wanna maintain good relations with them because if I was a service manager at a dealer, I'm more willing to help someone on a warranty claim if they're past warranty by 2,500 miles, but they spent money at my shop in the past vs. some dude I don't know who just comes in demanding this/that and screaming at me if I don't give them what I want.

At the same time, their pricing is out of whack (for those of us know know cars well), and I can relate, because I was quoted $700 and $211 for front pads/rotors and a rear brake service. I couldn't agree to those costs, and I don't really like the dealer that's closest to me (my gut feel tells me the management are not nice ppl to their staff), so I think I'll only give them oil change business and specialty maintenance (i.e. brake fluid changes, ATF, diff fluid changes), but do everything else myself.
Old 08-31-17, 05:15 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Last I checked, the IS250 doesn't use an oil filter that is shared with a Toyota model. That was a few years back, not sure about now.
And Toyota refusing to service Lexus, especially the ones under warranty still, is a directive from head office, not the dealer.
In an attempt to separate the two brands and elevate the Lexus brand to luxury status, head office doesn't allow Toyota dealers to service Lexus...especially the ones under warranty.
Imagine you walk into a BMW dealer and seeing them servicing Hyundia's. That's probably a bad example...I'd never walk into a BMW dealer...lol!!!
Old 08-31-17, 06:36 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
It's a tough conundrum with dealers. You wanna maintain good relations with them because if I was a service manager at a dealer, I'm more willing to help someone on a warranty claim if they're past warranty by 2,500 miles, but they spent money at my shop in the past vs. some dude I don't know who just comes in demanding this/that and screaming at me if I don't give them what I want.

At the same time, their pricing is out of whack (for those of us know know cars well), and I can relate, because I was quoted $700 and $211 for front pads/rotors and a rear brake service. I couldn't agree to those costs, and I don't really like the dealer that's closest to me (my gut feel tells me the management are not nice ppl to their staff), so I think I'll only give them oil change business and specialty maintenance (i.e. brake fluid changes, ATF, diff fluid changes), but do everything else myself.

I was quoted $400 for just the front pads changed. So I did them myself for $55 bucks.
Old 08-31-17, 06:59 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had one Toyota dealer tell me they wouldn't work on my Lexus. And two that would. It might be distance as the deciding factor. The one that told me no was within a 100 yards of the Lexus Dealer. But they other two were 20 and 40 miles from the closest dealer.
Old 08-31-17, 07:49 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealership I bought my CPO from are terrible. I knew my tires were going, took the car in for my last complimentary free service. They changed the oil and nothing else, didn't tell me about my brakes and didn't say anything about the bald front tires I had.

I suspect they literally changed the oil and that's about it. I said yes to the interior clean and all I got was a half arsed vac job. No gas, no wash. They then told me to come back in 8000km for the 50,000km service.

I took the car to Mecano Autoworks and basically did the 50,000km service, standard stuff except brake fluid flush. Front rotors and pads, filters changed, brake fluid flush and it costs me less than the dealership 50,000km service.