IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 IS 200t Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 10:13 AM
Will31894
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Question 2016 IS 200t Transmission Issues

I have driven my car for about 4k miles now and recently after coming back from a trip in the mountains, the transmission feels very jerky. I noticed when I'm slowing down i can feel the car downshifting and come to a jerk when stopping. Also when i made quick sharp turns before it was very smooth shifting and now when I hit the gas i can feel a slight jerk as well. The cars transmission doesn't seem as smooth as before the trip going through hills. I've done a ECU reset and it still feels the same, only now i get better gas mileage ?? Anyhow, I took it to Lexus and they state everything is fine, but I've seen other models with this 8 speed transmission have complaints with jerking. Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-17, 01:32 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

It's likely mostly in your head. This is how automatic transmissions operate. Once in a while I'll get a little jerk but chalk it off to the enormous complexities going on inside an auto transmission--one with 8 gears no less. It's surprising the trans is smooth as it is. Autos require a bit of patience. Usually movements (vs a manual) are perceived differently in an auto because there's a delay when you expect something to happen when it actually happens. It's kind of like tickling yourself vs someone else tickling you. You do the same shifting in a manual and i guarantee you objectively there's much more "jerking" going on.

You're expecting a little transmission with lightweight intricate gears to push and pull a 3,600 lb car around without any sensation... very hard to achieve.

Post a video if you're still not convinced.
Old 08-11-17, 01:56 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,503 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Usually movements (vs a manual) are perceived differently in an auto because there's a delay when you expect something to happen when it actually happens. It's kind of like tickling yourself vs someone else tickling you. You do the same shifting in a manual and i guarantee you objectively there's much more "jerking" going on.
For proof of this, try having someone else drive you in your car - basically every movement will be perceived differently thanks to someone else being in control!

Even with the six-speed, I have had to learn what to do and what not to to make it the smoothest. Sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd, if I add throttle, I get somewhat of a surge. I've learned to wait till a second after the shift to make it transition smoothly, or just to stick with the throttle I used in first gear. And, I've always been able to detect downshifts when slowing down to a stop, but it's not intrusive.

(I know I have a different transmission compared to yours... just adding my two cents)
Old 08-11-17, 02:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Agreed.. like when I used to drive manual...sometimes that weird thing happens to where you shift from 1st to 2nd... only you're not in 2nd... then your head does this weird bob as you expect yourself to propel forward then you don't. you lurch forward in anticipation of being pushed back.

occasionally even the best automatics will jerk upon downshifting (coming to a light) or occasionally fumble. as long as it's not consistent. My 200t is as smooth as glass 99% of the time. Once in a blue moon I'll feel a hiccup but just ignore it.
Old 08-11-17, 09:08 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

If you drove thru the mountains on a hot day I can guarantee that your transmission easily got overheated. Your best bet is to change the transmission fluid to fully synthetic before the transmission goes completely kaput. I have a ScanGauge II plugged in my car and I see how quickly transmission temp fluid goes up to the 200 F range in the city during stop and go traffic. Add hot weather to mountainous drive where tremendous load and stress is put on transmission and you have successfully overheated and simultaneously shortened the life of that transmission.
No, it's not in your head as some are saying.

The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (08-12-17)
Old 08-12-17, 03:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,503 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
If you drove thru the mountains on a hot day I can guarantee that your transmission easily got overheated. Your best bet is to change the transmission fluid to fully synthetic before the transmission goes completely kaput. I have a ScanGauge II plugged in my car and I see how quickly transmission temp fluid goes up to the 200 F range in the city during stop and go traffic. Add hot weather to mountainous drive where tremendous load and stress is put on transmission and you have successfully overheated and simultaneously shortened the life of that transmission.
No, it's not in your head as some are saying.
Thanks for making this point. I didn't intend to undermine the concerns of the OP, though people do get worried about stuff that is normal all the time.

The IS has a function that alerts the driver if the transmission fluid gets too high. I don't know the threshold for that warning to appear, but I'd hope it's below a dangerous level based on your chart.
Old 12-21-17, 08:00 AM
Will31894
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

UPDATE - The transmission has learned my driving habits and its a lot smoother now.
The following users liked this post:
IS200TFOWL (12-21-17)