IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 03:36 PM
kup125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire noise

Im fed up with the michelins pilot sport A/S 3+. What is the quitest tire you guys have run on your cars. I know part of its from wear but they were ever loud (i thought) from the beginning. So was looking for some input before i fork out the cash.
thanks
Old 07-19-17, 03:54 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I have run the stock Bridgestones, Continental DWS and currently run Michelin Pilot SS (summer) and Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (winter). In my opinion, they are all loud; I blame our roads. Or, maybe our cars aren't very soundproof.
The following users liked this post:
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-19-17, 04:28 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i just changed the stock turanzas to continental dws. i can't say that i really notice a difference sound wise. the stock turanzas were stickier than the continentals. the continentals don't inspire confidence which sucks because, well, i bought them and i'm going to have to live with them for the next x amount of years. if i really can't take it, then i'll look into buying from another tire manufacturer.
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-19-17, 06:35 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Never had any tire noise problem, on Turanzas or (now) Continental DWS.
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-19-17, 08:26 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

My Michelin PSS are little bit louder and harsher than the turanzas. But I bought for the performance and handling. It does have weird humming noise right around 75 mph. Many people say the continentals are much quieter.
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-20-17, 06:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,511 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i just changed the stock turanzas to continental dws. i can't say that i really notice a difference sound wise. the stock turanzas were stickier than the continentals. the continentals don't inspire confidence which sucks because, well, i bought them and i'm going to have to live with them for the next x amount of years. if i really can't take it, then i'll look into buying from another tire manufacturer.
Somewhat off-topic, but the stock tires were really more performant than the Contis? I was considering those as a replacement when my stock ones wear out. I know there are other options (as far as performance all-seasons go), but still, I always thought the Turanzas were garbage. Though, I would say the car handles well on those tires... just, I imagined it would be better with just about any other tire.
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-20-17, 06:42 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkonquer
My Michelin PSS are little bit louder and harsher than the turanzas. But I bought for the performance and handling. It does have weird humming noise right around 75 mph. Many people say the continentals are much quieter.
I've found the continentals are about the same as the stock turanzas. I was disappointed that they weren't quieter as all I had heard about them has been positive. I'm currently experimenting with tire pressure and have discovered that higher pressure amplifies noise and lower pressure makes the car handle sloppily. Can't win!
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-24-17, 12:46 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, compared to other Max Performance tires they are quiet. The turanzas are grand touring tires, couple slots down from Mx Perf tires.
kup125 (08-04-17)
Old 07-24-17, 01:02 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Somewhat off-topic, but the stock tires were really more performant than the Contis? I was considering those as a replacement when my stock ones wear out. I know there are other options (as far as performance all-seasons go), but still, I always thought the Turanzas were garbage. Though, I would say the car handles well on those tires... just, I imagined it would be better with just about any other tire.
sorry! i just noticed your post right now! i think that the stock tires have, like, no lifespan, but they are much more responsive than the contis. i feel like the contis are more of a grand touring tire, though i'm sure many would disagree. anyhow, there is a noticeable lack of grip which makes canyon carving a little scary rather than fun.
Old 07-24-17, 01:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,511 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
sorry! i just noticed your post right now! i think that the stock tires have, like, no lifespan, but they are much more responsive than the contis. i feel like the contis are more of a grand touring tire, though i'm sure many would disagree. anyhow, there is a noticeable lack of grip which makes canyon carving a little scary rather than fun.
Interesting... Yeah, my main issue is feel at this point. I generally am pretty confident in back-road blasting, but that extra bit of feel when the road isn't ideal (i.e., dusty, bumpy) would be nice. I think it may be mainly down to the power steering assist in this car. The couple of times I have ever encountered lack of grip, I knew it because I could feel it in the car itself, as well as the tires chirping, not through the wheel. There was just a very subtle difference... was hoping better tires would improve the feedback. Sounds like you gotta go louder in order to really get that.

Don't get me wrong, I love the steering in this car compared to the other options in this segment.

Last edited by arentz07; 07-24-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 03:37 PM
kup125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys!!
Old 08-14-17, 09:28 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little bit late, but I just my two cents.

I just had Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3+ installed on my IS F-Sport two weeks ago.
As soon as I pulled out of the garage, the first thing I noticed was the noise. My car came with Turanzas stock as well. Even prior to this car, I've never had a tire that was "loud". These tires are loud. Even though it felt nice to have new tires, I thnk that was mainly because my stock Turanzas were worn out.
Prior to purchasing my IS, it had been years and years since I last owned all-season tires. The stock Turanzas on the IS were my first all-season tires in a long time. They weren't great compared to what I've own, but they weren't bad either. Sure, it's hard to remember exactly how those tires felt when new, but I do remember two things:
1) They did not grip as well as the PS A/S 3+
2) They were never that loud
I've never owned tires this loud.

I drove the Michelins for a week on regular city roads.
Then I took a road trip a week later. 260kms to my destination.
A week later and the noise did not change.
On the drive back home, I kept hearing the tires.
It's not annoyingly loud, but it is there and apparent. It sounds like "wind" or like jet engines from far away.
For me, it's very weird to be hearing the tires while driving.

It's been pouring rain for the past few days. Even though the PS A/S 3+ have good ratings, they definitely do not grip in the rain like good summer performance tires.
I doubt I will be buying these again, even on my family car as well.