IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Accident damage help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 01:03 PM
mowerman
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accident damage help

Just got my car back from the body shop ($23K in damage) and noticed on the drivers floor there seems to be a slight "bump" in the floor beneath where the floor mat is. I don't recall that being there prior to the accident but it has been 7 weeks since i've
driven the car.is It normal to have that lump or rise in the floor below the floor mat? Blew off every airbag except passenger (no passenger). 2014 IS350F sport. Thanks for any feedback
Attached Thumbnails Accident damage help-20170525_190954_resized.jpg   Accident damage help-20170525_182519_resized.jpg   Accident damage help-20170525_182502_resized.jpg  

Last edited by mowerman; 07-12-17 at 01:04 PM. Reason: user error
Old 07-12-17, 01:16 PM
mowerman
Rookie

just picked it up yesterday. i thought of going to the dealer but didn't know if the 2017 are exactly the same or not and didn't want to waste a salesman's time. btw accident was not my fault, girl ran a stop sign and i T-boned her little Yaris
Attached Thumbnails Accident damage help-20170525_182525_resized_1.jpg  
Old 07-12-17, 04:04 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Holy cow. Was the cost of repairs not enough to request your car to be totaled?
I take it there were no frame damage?
Old 07-12-17, 06:54 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I was involved in the same kind of accident. They totaled it out claiming 32k worth of damage to my 44k 16' is200t with 600 miles
Old 07-12-17, 07:28 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Insurance money for car parts? Milk em for every penny
Old 07-12-17, 08:07 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Surprised it wasn't totaled for the damage and year
Old 07-12-17, 09:30 PM
andysvette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah well I had this happen to me. I was stopped at a stop sign and this A-hole.... 20+ weeks at the shop and it's still not right! Document everything, it's unfortunate but the car will never be the same.
Attached Thumbnails Accident damage help-img_1605.png  
Old 07-12-17, 10:20 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
^^ Not to thread jack, but that's heartbreaking... I assume you walked away...? Yeah, from the pic, looks to be mechanical damage in addition to cosmetic. Was there frame damage? Air bag deployment?
No frame damage at all but yeah the airbags went off. It appeared to take out the wiring harnesses, radiator, fuse box, etc. I walked away with a small airbag burn on my forehead right on my hairline
Old 07-13-17, 06:57 AM
mowerman
Rookie

Angry

Originally Posted by 600rr
Holy cow. Was the cost of repairs not enough to request your car to be totaled?
I take it there were no frame damage?
I was hoping for a total loss, like most of you, I don't think the car will ever be the same. they valued the car at $32k and in Florida it has to get to 80% value to total it ($25600) so I was a few thousand away from totaling the car which sucks.
since the new "bump" on the floor is yet to be determined (hoping that is unibody damage) if was there all along or not, that is my only shot at getting it totalled. Otherwise its mine. Worst part is that the other driver had state minimum insurance so my insurance is paying the majority of the cost and leaves nothing left to get a Diminished value claim recovery. (very little, not the $8000 less the car is worth today having a car fax with airbag deployment). My only chance to get that is to sue them for it, which ill never get.
and one other thing as advice to all of you, check your policy closely. My g|Geico policy will not pay for OEM parts unless there are no aftermarket equivalent. Had I been able to use OEM parts, the car would easily been totaled. and so far after just 2 days out of the shop, its going back. both front headlight assemblies have condensation in them (crap aftermarket parts) both front fenders have fitment issues that are very noticeable around the headlights as well, the thin chrome strip around the Spindle grill has blistering in it. The parts they use suck compared to Lexus parts and in my case, i have no choice, even if i have to go back 10 times

Last edited by mowerman; 07-13-17 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 08:43 AM
mowerman
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
^^ That's disappointing to hear and yeah any car enthusiasts worst nightmare. So it specifically states in your policy about using aftermarket parts usage in lieu of OEM or is that just Geico's standard policy? Either way, great advice to check as often these are hidden provisions. Well, try to keep in mind it's a car and be thankful no one was hurt - and although a complete pain in the ***, make sure your ins co and the body shop know you will keep coming back until the car is as perfect as it was prior to the accident.
As far as I can tell (and am being told) it is Geico's policy and you have no choice when it comes to the vendor they make the body shop use. You can however select any bodyshop you want.
And yes very thankful that no one was hurt at all. Just shows how safe cars really are. Even the girl in the Yaris was unhurt.
This experience also has opened my eyes to leasing. Simply because the Diminished value would now be on the Lease company, not me when I turn it in. So much for owning a car.
Just and FYI, I own this car. if I had private party sold it prior to the crash I could have gotten $30K easily. As of today with a carfax with airbag deployment its worth $23k (certified offer from carmax), maybe I could get $25k private sale. for something that isn't my fault, I get the shaft on my cars value.
Old 07-13-17, 10:28 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am calling my broker tomorrow to check and make damn sure I get oem parts. If not I am shopping for a new policy. Glad you're okay, sucks you're dealing with this crap.
Old 07-14-17, 11:34 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad you were OK. This is why GEICO is horrible. They ONLY use low end, non OEM parts. It's one of the few companies that do.
Old 07-14-17, 11:56 AM
600rr
Pole Position

It is not just Gieco, all major insurance companies prefer to use aftermarket to shave their costs.
I've had AAA, Allstate, Farmers, and State Farm and have claimed through 3 of them. They all use aftermarket parts.
There is no law here in CA that states OEM parts must be used, as long as replacement parts meets quality and fitment standards.
Old 07-14-17, 01:25 PM
kwb18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 600rr
It is not just Gieco, all major insurance companies prefer to use aftermarket to shave their costs.
I've had AAA, Allstate, Farmers, and State Farm and have claimed through 3 of them. They all use aftermarket parts.
There is no law here in CA that states OEM parts must be used, as long as replacement parts meets quality and fitment standards.
Insurance guy here. Yes, this is completely true. However, I have had some customers demand OEM parts and the insurance company pay for OEM. Not saying it's easy because it's not and every situation is different. It also depends on the body shop as well. There's good ones who want to do right by the customer and actually care about the safety and repair of the vehicle and then there are others who only care about getting paid from the insurance company. If I were you, I would talk to the body shop and voice your concern.
Old 07-14-17, 01:56 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kwb18
Insurance guy here. Yes, this is completely true. However, I have had some customers demand OEM parts and the insurance company pay for OEM. Not saying it's easy because it's not and every situation is different. It also depends on the body shop as well. There's good ones who want to do right by the customer and actually care about the safety and repair of the vehicle and then there are others who only care about getting paid from the insurance company. If I were you, I would talk to the body shop and voice your concern.
What about when an adjuster comes out and gives an estimate for aftermarket parts, and the shop gives another estimate for OEM parts?
How hard is it to ask insurance to go OEM? What death defying gauntlet does one must go through?

Quick Reply: Accident damage help