IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 vs 200t

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 08:31 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IS350 vs 200t

Hey guys was wondering what opinions would be on these two different cars I'm looking to buy. Cars are a little over 2k price difference with the 200t higher

2014 IS350 30k miles CPO, navi, ML stereo,heated/vent seats, tint windows. Warranty would run out in July 2019

2016 200t F sport 13k miles CPO, heated/vent seats. Warranty would run out in late 2021.

Both cars I guess have pro and con but it's driving me crazy since price is sooo close.
Old 06-28-17, 08:44 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Yeah I know what you mean, have not driven the 200t yet as they just put it up for sale.Power is not really a concern. I wish that 200t had the ML stereo haha
Old 06-28-17, 08:53 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

If you read around, the 14 is known to have starting/reliability issues w/ the battery draining. Is it fixed? I don't know. Still though, I'd choose the newer F-Sport car. no brainer to me.
Old 06-28-17, 08:58 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
If you read around, the 14 is known to have starting/reliability issues w/ the battery draining. Is it fixed? I don't know. Still though, I'd choose the newer F-Sport car. no brainer to me.
I've read about it, I would hope that issue has been resolved.
Old 06-28-17, 09:10 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Definitely recommend driving the car to assist in making your decision.

Given that, and that the 200t is newer with half the miles... and only 2k more... depending on how important the sound system is to you... sounds like the 200t may have an edge.
I have not heard the stock system in a lexus. Not sure if I'll be able to tell difference.
Old 06-28-17, 09:33 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I couldn't, but I'm by no means a car stereo connoisseur or aficionado...
I'm not really either but I do love a good sound. I like to play music fairly loud. I think clarity is really important at high volume. I listen to a lot of sat radio which is 95% of what my future car will play. I've heard that the signal input doesn't sound great compared to an actual recording CD on either
Old 06-28-17, 09:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The F-Sport package on the 200T doesn't have AVS which is a big bummer for me. The 350 also has ML which is a big bonus and 30k miles is nothing for the 3.5L in terms of age. Still a baby. The 200T does get noticeably better gas mileage though but reliability is still unknown for the 2L turbo.
Old 06-28-17, 09:38 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
The F-Sport package on the 200T doesn't have AVS which is a big bummer for me. The 350 also has ML which is a big bonus and 30k miles is nothing for the 3.5L in terms of age. Still a baby. The 200T does get noticeably better gas mileage though but reliability is still unknown for the 2L turbo.
That's what kinda worried me about the 200t.. Was the newer design engine. I was reading in other posts about the regulator or wastegate issues. I guess being under warranty for awhile would help but would be a headache if issues never get resolved
Old 06-28-17, 10:20 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

dblambo- I'd go with the 350 if I was you. That engine has been the sweet spot for Lexus for quite some time with a long reliability record. The 2L turbo is a rather new entry/experiment for Lexus. This alone should be enough of a reason. You mentioned power is no issue, but I see you're in Texas, and on a hot summer day with the AC on full steam and a small block 2L banger, you're not gonna be left with a whole lot of power for decent acceleration. Same thing for the ML. You're gonna regret when your base gives up on your favorite song. Since both cars are used, it's a coin toss whether you'll end up with a lemon. But since you're rolling the dice. I say the 350. Good luck.
Old 06-28-17, 10:31 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Originally Posted by TinoPing
dblambo- I'd go with the 350 if I was you. That engine has been the sweet spot for Lexus for quite some time with a long reliability record. The 2L turbo is a rather new entry/experiment for Lexus. This alone should be enough of a reason. You mentioned power is no issue, but I see you're in Texas, and on a hot summer day with the AC on full steam and a small block 2L banger, you're not gonna be left with a whole lot of power for decent acceleration. Same thing for the ML. You're gonna regret when your base gives up on your favorite song. Since both cars are used, it's a coin toss whether you'll end up with a lemon. But since you're rolling the dice. I say the 350. Good luck.
Thanks for your input.. it does get very hot here!! Lol. I'll prob still test drive the 200t but I see what you're saying about the difference in engines. That 350 has had good track record
Old 06-28-17, 11:06 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dblambo85
I'm not really either but I do love a good sound. I like to play music fairly loud. I think clarity is really important at high volume. I listen to a lot of sat radio which is 95% of what my future car will play. I've heard that the signal input doesn't sound great compared to an actual recording CD on either
I have a '16 200T Fsport, haven't really had any issues with it. I personally would get the 200t since it is newer but I do understand the hesitation due to the 2L turbo. I typically don't have my music turned up too loud, but even when I do the sound isn't bad at all and the clarity is actually pretty good for stock speakers. On the other hand, if the song is punchy with a lot of bass, I do tend to turn it down since I feel like the sub itself is pushing a bit hard and I'm not really trying to blow a speaker lol. If power really isn't your concern, I'd just stick with the 200t. Plus the warranty is longer and it would probably start getting costly to have to maintain the 350 if you start running into issues. Just my .02

Last edited by premier3IS; 06-28-17 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 11:11 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I would go for the IS350. Like others have mentioned, the reliability of the engine has been proven. I found the IS200t to be too slow and felt very laggy. It feels like there is very little torque in the lower RPMs, which is annoying when you are trying to accelerate quickly from a stop to exploit a gap in traffic. Plus, the 8-speed makes it even worse since it has to shift down so many gears.
Old 06-28-17, 11:19 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I would go for the IS350. Like others have mentioned, the reliability of the engine has been proven. I found the IS200t to be too slow and felt very laggy. It feels like there is very little torque in the lower RPMs, which is annoying when you are trying to accelerate quickly from a stop to exploit a gap in traffic. Plus, the 8-speed makes it even worse since it has to shift down so many gears.
Agree with these comments about the 200. Imagine having to downshift like 4 gears just to pass someone going slow on the freeway, did a few times and don't even bother anymore lol. One more thing, the turbo lag will def take some time to get used to.
Old 06-28-17, 11:26 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you don't care about speed like you mentioned, i'd go with the newer car with less miles on it. that's 2 years less time in the sun, 2 years less of possible road debris, 2 years less of wear and tear
Old 06-29-17, 12:25 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Agree with these comments about the 200. Imagine having to downshift like 4 gears just to pass someone going slow on the freeway, did a few times and don't even bother anymore lol. One more thing, the turbo lag will def take some time to get used to.
Lexus isn't going to make the 200 faster than the 350 when stock, that'd be foolish. They have some powerbox tunes that'll give you the extra power to match a 350

Quick Reply: IS350 vs 200t