IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 TLX vs 2017 IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 05:05 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2018 TLX vs 2017 IS

I am looking to get opinions on the 2018 TLX from IS owners. The lease on my IS is wrapping up in a few months and I'm torn between these two. Being an old Civic and Accord owner, I have some Honda blood in me and the addition of A-Spec to the TLX line was most welcome. Specifically I am comparing the IS 350 AWD F-Sport (Series 3 trim in Canada) with the TLX V6 A-Spec (Elite trim in Canada).

My test drive in the TLX seemed to reveal it was a great all around vehicle. Nothing special stuck out at me but it seemed to do everything just fine. No digital instrument cluster, less aggressive seats, less "cozy" feeling, a decent audio system (but not as good Mark Levinson) yet comfortable, spacious (with a real place to put my phone), quiet and more than sufficient power for daily driving. The best feature by far was Android Auto. While most of the features offered on the TLX are available on the IS, the lack of features on the F-Sport model in North American builds is just plain stupid on Lexus' part (although I believe A-Spec is not available on all trims in the US market also..). The IS is something I know well and I think it's a great little car but I foresee myself needing some more room in the back seats in the next few years.

Any additional thoughts?
Old 06-24-17, 05:50 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove a 2016 TLX before I got my IS, it was a good car. But it was an accord, it felt, sounded, and drove like an accord. Nothing wrong with that, but I would rather save the money and get the accord. The IS feels like it's own car to me. If you need more room look at the GS or ES.
Old 06-24-17, 06:10 PM
friday9x
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you looking for in a car? Do you want to have performance, gadgets, or are you needing a sedan for hauling around others?
Old 06-24-17, 06:25 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

'd consider the GS if you're looking for something a little bigger than the IS. I like the looks of the TLX in A-Spec trim, but really wouldn't consider it over the IS.
Old 06-25-17, 08:52 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
I drove a 2016 TLX before I got my IS, it was a good car. But it was an accord, it felt, sounded, and drove like an accord.
That's exactly how I felt. It did everything well but there was nothing that I loved about it.

Originally Posted by friday9x
What are you looking for in a car? Do you want to have performance, gadgets, or are you needing a sedan for hauling around others?
I can't have all three? Haha. Isn't that always the dilemma... I have to say in terms of daily driving around the city, performance isn't a huge concern and the TLX in that trim I'm looking is plenty powerful enough. Noone to haul around except the wife.. for now...

Originally Posted by yardie876
'd consider the GS if you're looking for something a little bigger than the IS. I like the looks of the TLX in A-Spec trim, but really wouldn't consider it over the IS.
Have you driven both? How's the handling in the GS compare to the IS?
Old 06-25-17, 09:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
That's exactly how I felt. It did everything well but there was nothing that I loved about it.I can't have all three? Haha. Isn't that always the dilemma... I have to say in terms of daily driving around the city, performance isn't a huge concern and the TLX in that trim I'm looking is plenty powerful enough. Noone to haul around except the wife.. for now...Have you driven both? How's the handling in the GS compare to the IS?
It's a bigger heavier version of the IS and feels like it. But it would still outhandle a TLX.
Old 06-26-17, 03:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's a bigger heavier version of the IS and feels like it. But it would still outhandle a TLX.
Essentially what EZZ said. I have driven both (own the GS). The IS is maybe 5% more tossable at high speeds but the GS is an excellent drive, especially if you opt for the rear steering option. The interior just further deals the deal. It much more upscale. I'd recommend a test drive.
Old 06-26-17, 07:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

+1 on the GS. I've owned both the IS and GS, and am very happy with the GS.

The GS is a great handling car, and drives much smaller than it is.

As for weight difference in the GS vs IS, it's pretty small - like carrying another passenger in your IS. The difference on RWD IS350 vs RWD GS350 is only 133 lbs and on the AWD models it's 154 lbs.
Old 06-26-17, 09:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Interior so ugly/basic... I've hated Acura interiors for years. Also uses Accord 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines.

I do envy the GS interior but the IS has a better, newer exterior. GS looks dated particularly from the side profile (too upright), with the GS-F being easier to swallow looks wise.
Old 06-26-17, 09:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Interior so ugly/basic... I've hated Acura interiors for years. Also uses Accord 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines.
We had a first gen TSX and really loved the car. Put over 100k miles on it and enjoyed the interior with the exception of several minor rattles.

I do envy the GS interior but the IS has a better, newer exterior. GS looks dated particularly from the side profile (too upright), with the GS-F being easier to swallow looks wise.
I agree with this. Love my GS and have really come to appreciate the looks over time, but the IS is the better looking car.
Old 06-26-17, 10:12 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Yeah I like the older Acura interiors, but the newer ones don't look so nice. They look/feel low-rent/cheap. For example that dashboard hump on the right..

Looks like a Rav4 or something basic:

or the RDX:

Like no imagination. radio stack in middle and two humps and cheap plastic and call it a day.

The OLD Acura interiors were beautiful in its day and better than the new stuff.

Old 06-26-17, 10:20 AM
genmaster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before I picked my '16 IS300, I checked out the TLX being my other option, sadly I was disappointed as I have driven a regular 2013 honda accord and it felt the interior was the same. I also had a 2004 Acura TSX and so I had great memories of it being one of the better experiences for Acura. again I thought Acura had really took a big step backwards, aside the exterior looks sharper and better, the interior is more important to me.
Plus, my wife was sold on the stock audio on the IS. nothing in it's class was able to compare.
Old 06-26-17, 05:00 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the TLX A-Spec over the weekend while waiting to pick up the new RDX. Yupe. We wanted the NX but my IS is keeping us from adding another Lexus. The interior is boring and definitely not as inviting as the IS. The sporty exhaust note is definitely nicer than the IS. Handling wise, I find the IS more complying when in Sport+ mode. Seat of the pant acceleration felt about the same. Eyeballs and senses wise, it felt faster in the TLX because of the louder exhaust note. The A-Spec shifter button, copied from the NSX is definitely a nice touch.

This is the interior combo on my test car.

Old 06-26-17, 05:12 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

while the IS interior is nicer than the TLX, the TLX is definitely nicer than the Accord interior. Apple Carplay or Android Auto would've been nice if they had added it to the refreshed 2017 IS models
Old 06-27-17, 12:08 PM
MCR
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a 2018 Aspec Shawd before getting my IS. The tlx had a much more comfortable back seat. The Tlx has a much more thought out interior design, more storage like sunglasses holder and the cubby under the center stack. the armrest is much wider so its not a problem for the driver and passenger putting their elbow on it. The center console is actually usable compared to the tiny one in the lexus. While both infotainment systems are kinda crappy, the tlx is good bit more useful, especially with android auto. The IS interior has noticeably better build quality, where the leather trim on the door can shift can be pushed in on acura with the touch of ur hand whereas the lexus is solid. Driving wise, the acura engine is something I prefer, but the transmission is a bit slower than the 8sp in the IS. The major problem I had is that the chassis and suspension quality were much better on the lexus. Pushing it in the corners, the car kept its line well and didn't buckle around on bad roads at higher speeds. The tlx at those same speeds on those same roads would bounce around a bit. The acura also had too little travel on the throttle, making the car a little jumpy at parking lot speeds. As the car would be just me driving around alone most of the time. I don't have kids, and if my friends are uncomfortable, I don't care. If one would need to have more space than in the lexus, and is willing to compromise a bit in driving feel, then the Acura is a solid choice

Quick Reply: 2018 TLX vs 2017 IS