IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-sport bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 07:21 PM
tdawson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default F-sport bumper conversion

I've seen a few threads talking about this subject with nothing conclusive. I'm looking at this conversion kit on ebay. Does anyone have experience with it? To build the same kit with oem parts would cost a small fortune since everything from the actual bumper to the cover needs to be purchased and shipping is awful through those car part sites.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-16-Lexus-IS250-IS350-F-Sport-Front-Bumper-Conversion-Bodykit-Polypropylene/371506675588

A few issues off the bat:

1. It has holes for headlight sprayers which my car doesn't have so I'll need to figure out what to do there.

2. It doesn't have holes for the parking assist sensors. I found the sensor retainer part I'll need so I'll just have to make the holes.

Parking assist sensor retainer part number: 8934833110

Last edited by tdawson2; 03-06-17 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 06:11 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

It looks like it will come un-painted. If you do the custom work and fill in the headlight sprayer holes before you do the prep and paint it will come out clean. Not sure about fitment on an aftermarket bumper though.
Old 03-07-17, 09:24 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For the holes, you can either buy the sprayer cap OR bondo + paint (it comes unpainted anyways)
Old 03-07-17, 11:58 AM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I was planning on doing the conversion too but decided to hold off for a while considering how much it would cost to go OEM. I thought about buying that bumper too but couldn't find anyone with first hand experience to tell me about the quality/fit. Btw you'll need to change your front fender lining as well for the bumper to fit
Old 03-07-17, 12:07 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Getting the paint work to match the rest of the car, would cost a small fortune as well..

Have you tried talking to your dealer to see if they would order you the fsport bumper? I imagine it would cost no more than $1000, but this way you can forsure get OEM and the right paint color.

I mean that eBay rep, is already $500, & paint work would depend. IMO, spend the few extra $$ and get it right.

Last edited by nathantse; 03-07-17 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 12:12 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Getting the paint work to match the rest of the car, would cost a small fortune as well..

Have you tried talking to your dealer to see if they would order you the fsport bumper? I imagine it would cost no more than $1000, but this way you can forsure get OEM and the right paint color.

I mean that eBay rep, is already $500, & paint work would depend.
I've asked my local dealer about pricing and it costs close to $2000 just for the bumper and the parts needed to go with it (grills & chrome trim) and they come unpainted from the dealer as well. That doesn't even include the fender liner thats also needed.
Old 03-07-17, 09:12 PM
tdawson2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. I've priced out the parts and I could probably get everything for around $1000. I'll post a parts list when I get a minute to go through it.

As far as paint goes, I have a family member that does paint at a collision shop so I'll be getting that at cost. My car is obsidian black so I wouldn't think color matching is going to be too difficult, but I don't know much about that.
Old 03-08-17, 11:34 AM
cosmos0351
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did this Mod, probably the best mod you can do to your non-F-sport lexus. I got it from the same ebay seller.

its a perfect fit and very high quality, a paint shop will prime sand and paint match the bumper for about $300-450

Install takes about 3 hours if you are taking your time. you will loose your fog lights, but who cares, ive never fancied fog lights.

as for the headlamp washer holes, just get the heads and jerry rig them over the holes, i personally think the washer heads look really good. Paint match them to your car or paint the chrome black pearl to make them pop.

get the washer heads here, craps only 14 bucks for both sides.

part # 85353-53021 http://parts.autonationtoyotasouthau...8535353021part # 85354-53021 http://parts.autonationtoyotasouthau...xus/8535453021
Old 03-08-17, 11:39 AM
cosmos0351
Driver School Candidate

for the love of god, dont waste your money and get an OEM bumper. this ebay bumper is really high quality and is a perfect fit.

just remember when you do the install, start bolting stuff up from the center of your bumper out, your fender screws should be last.

Heres my ebay F-sport bumper conversion. i was seriously blown away by the quality.

P.S. i would highly recommend painting your chrome grill trim black chrome/black pearl prior to install. it looks sexy as *****.

Last edited by cosmos0351; 03-08-17 at 11:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tdawson2 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 11:40 AM
xxg00w0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most bodyshop should be able to handle it.
Old 03-08-17, 12:52 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow that looks great for an ebay bumper and fitment looks perfect.
Old 03-08-17, 01:56 PM
cosmos0351
Driver School Candidate

Side note, you do need the F-sport Fender liner, otherwise you will have a gap in your fender liner.
Old 03-08-17, 02:07 PM
tdawson2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cosmos0351
for the love of god, dont waste your money and get an OEM bumper. this ebay bumper is really high quality and is a perfect fit.

just remember when you do the install, start bolting stuff up from the center of your bumper out, your fender screws should be last.

Heres my ebay F-sport bumper conversion. i was seriously blown away by the quality.

P.S. i would highly recommend painting your chrome grill trim black chrome/black pearl prior to install. it looks sexy as *****.
Exactly what I was looking for! I see you got the one with the splitters (I'm torn on getting them). Do you have a face on picture hanging around? Thanks for the part numbers! Did you order them? I see you have the holes still in the picture.

Thanks for the instructions to BTW. I'll be helping with the install so anything helps.

Last edited by tdawson2; 03-08-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 03:14 PM
cosmos0351
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered the headlamb washer heads, took me a long time to track down the part numbers.

I would highly suggest getting the bumper kit with the TRD lip splitters, your paint shop will paint them for no extra charge, just tell them its stock piece to the bumper lol.

the install is pretty straight forward, assembling the center grill is a bit of a puzzle, but its pretty easy.

tips:
1. Use blankets to protect the fresh paint on your new bumper
2. when reinstalling, start from the center bolts out, keep all bolts loose until your bumper is lined up perfectly.
3. assemble center grill prior to installing bumper.
4. when assembling center grill, be sure to use the screws provided.

Heres the best pics i have for a front pic.

The following users liked this post:
tdawson2 (03-08-17)
Old 03-08-17, 03:18 PM
tdawson2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cosmos0351
I just ordered the headlamb washer heads, took me a long time to track down the part numbers.

I would highly suggest getting the bumper kit with the TRD lip splitters, your paint shop will paint them for no extra charge, just tell them its stock piece to the bumper lol.

the install is pretty straight forward, assembling the center grill is a bit of a puzzle, but its pretty easy.

tips:
1. Use blankets to protect the fresh paint on your new bumper
2. when reinstalling, start from the center bolts out, keep all bolts loose until your bumper is lined up perfectly.
3. assemble center grill prior to installing bumper.
4. when assembling center grill, be sure to use the screws provided.
Looks great man, thanks so much for all the info! I'll be sure to post some updates when I get parts in and all that.

Quick Reply: F-sport bumper conversion