IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Squeeky startup after new motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 05:05 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky startup after new motor oil

I changed my oil yesterday and after the first start I heard a loud squeek, maybe even some clankin, from inside the engine bay.
I drove the car today and this sound is chirping/ticking is pretty constant. After about 15 minutes of driving the noise almost goes away. Happened like that twice today. Still has a squeeky startup/chirping startup.

I spilled some oil yesterday during filling, and a quick Google search says it may be oil on the belts.
anyone experience this before and know the best way to fix this? I would like to avoid replacing the belt if cleaning it is a cheaper fix.

Im not driving the car tomorrow so I hope yall can chime in on what to do, cause this noise is quite annoying...
thanks in advance...
Old 02-15-17, 06:03 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenis
I changed my oil yesterday and after the first start I heard a loud squeek, maybe even some clankin, from inside the engine bay.
I drove the car today and this sound is chirping/ticking is pretty constant. After about 15 minutes of driving the noise almost goes away. Happened like that twice today. Still has a squeeky startup/chirping startup.

I spilled some oil yesterday during filling, and a quick Google search says it may be oil on the belts.
anyone experience this before and know the best way to fix this? I would like to avoid replacing the belt if cleaning it is a cheaper fix.

Im not driving the car tomorrow so I hope yall can chime in on what to do, cause this noise is quite annoying...
thanks in advance...
Google is correct...you got oil on the belt...sorry man.
Although not the end of the world.
First locate if the oil got on any pulleys...cleaning those thoroughly will help. A little Brake Cleaner goes a long way...just don't go crazy spraying it all over the place.
If you can find the spot(s) on the belt where the oil is, once again a little Brake Cleaner goes a long way.
Ideally you never really want to get Brake Cleaner on the belt, but at this point you need something to get the oil off...so you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
If you do end up changing the belt, may sure all the pulleys are clean before putting the new belt on.
It will probably shorten the life of the belt...but you'll still get a good service life out of it.
Old 02-16-17, 07:45 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

oil soaked belts will squeal for a while. if it bothers you a lot, i'd recommend replacing the belt. and keeping the oil soaked on as a spare.once it's off, you can wash it thoroughly with dish soap and when you need it, it should be good to go.
Old 02-18-17, 08:03 AM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not try good'ol degreaser? Spray some on the affected areas, then clean off with water in a spray bottle using the "jet" setting. Let dry, good to go.