IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nav Micro SD card

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 01:37 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nav Micro SD card

i bought my IS without a nav sd card from a dealer (used 2014) I talked with Lexus and they said that they are vehicle specific and would cost 200-300$. Is this true? Or can I buy any micro sd card with nav info on it
Old 02-15-17, 04:16 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I would say it's the dealer's job to verify that the navigation works before you buy it. I'm interested to know what error message shows when the SD card isn't loaded. Wouldn't that have been obvious during a test drive or the delivery process?
Old 02-15-17, 04:21 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
I would say it's the dealer's job to verify that the navigation works before you buy it. I'm interested to know what error message shows when the SD card isn't loaded. Wouldn't that have been obvious during a test drive or the delivery process?
Well I bought it from an on Lexus dealer, and it says "Checking Data" with the sd card logo pointing to a vehicle logo. Just called Lexus and they're $210 each. Besides Nav, what else does the card do?
Old 02-15-17, 06:11 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
The error looks like this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...een-stuck.html
So yes, would have been obvious if the car was driven and the screen was on.

The card supplies the map data for the nav system. I would go back to your dealer and question them as to why the car did not come with the card that was originally equipped with the car.

Was it sold CPO? Cause that would be a big No No if the card was missing.
I agree with the other members...address it with the dealer salesperson, then used car manager if you're not happy with the result, and then general sales manager is still not happy.
Last stop would be Lexus customer service.
You will get a card at no cost...just depends which one of the Lexus staff is going to give it to you. Good news is you'll have the latest and greatest card.
Old 02-16-17, 09:02 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm pretty sure once the card is used in a car, you can't pop it out and shove it into another one and have it work, so that takes the pressure off of proving you sold your card (I think).
Old 02-16-17, 02:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
I'm pretty sure once the card is used in a car, you can't pop it out and shove it into another one and have it work, so that takes the pressure off of proving you sold your card (I think).
If I remember correctly the cards fit only the appropriate generation of navi unit. You could pop it into another IS and it would work. At the parts counter you can buy the most recent card with the most updated map...it's one part number for all IS's with the same navigation.
Old 03-08-17, 06:16 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my car used from a 3rd party dealer (non-Lexus) and I did not have a SD card either. My navi didn't work too. Before I bought the car, I mentioned this and the cost that Lexus quoted me to get a SD card and I was told that's why my car was a little cheaper than what they planned to sell it for. I thought excuses, excuses to make a buck but it is what it is and I still got a great deal. I did some research on used Lexus SD cards and found out that they can be specific to models and generations. Also the SD cards can be specific to the nav unit such as which model and version you have. Rather than buying a card from some website or E-Bay to save some money and hope it works I bit the bullet and took it to the Lexus dealership. I purchased my SD card from them and had them install it. When I got my car back the navi worked and also my firmware was upgraded too.