IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Has anyone updated their Navigation SD Card?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 01:22 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done mine. It took quite a while to update while I was driving around. First drive home from Lexus was about 20 minutes & it was still updating, couple of short drives after that it was still updating. Then all of a sudden done. It was getting to the stage I didn't think it would work unless I went for a long drive.
Old 02-08-17, 01:25 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fooz
I've done mine. It took quite a while to update while I was driving around. First drive home from Lexus was about 20 minutes & it was still updating, couple of short drives after that it was still updating. Then all of a sudden done. It was getting to the stage I didn't think it would work unless I went for a long drive.
Do you mean the screen where it says, "Checking Data?" and seems to take forever? Maybe I didn't give it long enough?
Old 02-08-17, 01:34 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep on the screen. I was starting to think there was something wrong then eventually it came good.
Old 02-09-17, 02:49 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i got my 2014 Lexus is 250 i check on lexus's website and it stated there were no system updates. However after multiple crashes where the navigation screen would flash blue for about 5 seconds and then reboot itself, i took it into the dealership and they updated it for me. I think your best bet would to probably ask the dealership to check for updates since they usually do it at no cost.
Old 02-09-17, 02:55 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by snabbledab
When i got my 2014 Lexus is 250 i check on lexus's website and it stated there were no system updates. However after multiple crashes where the navigation screen would flash blue for about 5 seconds and then reboot itself, i took it into the dealership and they updated it for me. I think your best bet would to probably ask the dealership to check for updates since they usually do it at no cost.
Thanks, but this thread is discussing the map data on the SD card, not the firmware of the navigation system. These are 2 different things. The dealer will not update the map data for free.
Old 04-17-17, 10:06 PM
RoyaalT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Well my friend has an IS350 and he is using the gps from Satellite, not the one from his SDcard.
There is not a GPS on the SD card. The SD card only has the graphical maps and the GPS tied to the system and overlays your exact location on those graphical maps. So if you could get it to work without the maps it would be a blank screen with your position.

I'm having the same issue. I can't get passed "checking data -- contact your dealer" even after disconnecting the battery and getting the screen that shows the SD card is being read and even after updating the system software. I have run out of things to try.
Old 04-17-17, 10:08 PM
RoyaalT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fooz
Yep on the screen. I was starting to think there was something wrong then eventually it came good.
Did it ever say contact the dealer? I have the checking data screen and it also says contact dealer so I'm not sure if it will eventually work like yours did.
Old 04-17-17, 10:09 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Originally Posted by RoyaalT
There is not a GPS on the SD card. The SD card only has the graphical maps and the GPS tied to the system and overlays your exact location on those graphical maps. So if you could get it to work without the maps it would be a blank screen with your position.

I'm having the same issue. I can't get passed "checking data -- contact your dealer" even after disconnecting the battery and getting the screen that shows the SD card is being read and even after updating the system software. I have run out of things to try.
OK, at least I'm not the only one. I'm planning to ask the dealer for help but I'm still 6000 miles away from my next service.
Mine says it is checking data but if you do anything to move away from the screen it gives that error message.
Old 04-22-17, 02:24 PM
RoyaalT
Driver School Candidate

I'm being told I need generation 8 software in order for my update to work. Does anyone know if the 2015+ RCs come with generation 8 from the factory?
Old 12-05-17, 05:06 PM
CaptDuck
Driver School Candidate

On Nov. 18, 2017, I purchased a 2015 L/Certified ES350 at a Lexus dealer. I was told by the salesman that it had the most recent navigation update. After I got home I was familiarizing myself with the system and see that the Navigation version is a 2014 version.
-- The version in my 2015 ES350 is: "Map Version: 21-34-17 [2014-06-1]". That looks like a 2014 version to me.
BTW: The URLs posted previously to http://www.lexusnavigation.com/ just show a website under construction with nothing to see. I assume it was working earlier and will be at some future time. Most decent webmasters give a time frame for when their websites will be out of service.
I could not see what version I need due to http://www.lexusnavigation.com/
not being in service.
Question: Are L/Certified vehicles supposed to have the latest Nav update when sold??

Last edited by CaptDuck; 12-05-17 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 10:21 PM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptDuck
On Nov. 18, 2017, I purchased a 2015 L/Certified ES350 at a Lexus dealer. I was told by the salesman that it had the most recent navigation update. After I got home I was familiarizing myself with the system and see that the Navigation version is a 2014 version.
-- The version in my 2015 ES350 is: "Map Version: 21-34-17 [2014-06-1]". That looks like a 2014 version to me.
BTW: The URLs posted previously to http://www.lexusnavigation.com/ just show a website under construction with nothing to see. I assume it was working earlier and will be at some future time. Most decent webmasters give a time frame for when their websites will be out of service.
not being in service.
Question: Are L/Certified vehicles supposed to have the latest Nav update when sold??
no. why would they? whatever model year your car is is usually the Nav map you'll have. you could very well buy a brand new Lexus with an outdated Nav version if an update was just released.
Old 12-09-17, 10:46 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

not being in service.
Originally Posted by wforty94
no. why would they? whatever model year your car is is usually the Nav map you'll have. you could very well buy a brand new Lexus with an outdated Nav version if an update was just released.
I have the same map version. I just came back from getting my maps updated from the service center and it still shows me the same "Map Version: 21-34-17 [2014-06-1]".

Going to call and ask what the heck!

EDIT: Am being told to 'give it a few hours' to process. Will see what happens.

Last edited by eddie420; 12-09-17 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CaptDuck (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 05:38 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The posted link for the install instructions is no longer working. Anyone have a new link?

Last edited by Turismo; 01-08-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 07:45 PM
CaptDuck
Driver School Candidate

eddie420 or anyone, Can you tell us how much the GPS update cost? Cost of the SD card? Cost of the dealer installation?.
Also, is your system showing that the version has been updated, or is it still showing the old version?
Did you get to keep the SD card? (I assume it is in the slot in your vehicle).

Thanks
Old 01-08-18, 07:55 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

eddie420 or anyone, Can you tell us how much the GPS update cost? Cost of the SD card? Cost of the dealer installation?.
Also, is your system showing that the version has been updated, or is it still showing the old version?
Did you get to keep the SD card? (I assume it is in the slot in your vehicle).

Thanks
Roughly $300 for the update. And yes you get to keep your card. Will show the latest version.

Quick Reply: Has anyone updated their Navigation SD Card?