IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

30,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 11:12 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 30,000 mile service

Maintenance light came on last week for my service. So, today I call the dealership to see what it would run me for the service. Keep in mind this is oil and filter change, tire rotation (mine can't be rotated), cabin air and engine air filter (I can do these myself) and everything else listed are inspections.

I don't remember the total exactly because I passed out after I heard nine-hundred and .......
WTF? Are you kidding me? Do people pay this?

I'm waiting on a call from the service advisor for the price minus the items listed above - I'm sure it won't be pretty.
I'm pretty sure the dealership will not be servicing my car. I know there is a reputable Indy shop, but it's an hour away.

That's just a big bowl of wrong.
Old 10-21-16, 11:44 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

$900+ is Porsche territory. I went to Toyota and told them to do the brake fluid job. Cost $200 I think. Sucks but I'm keeping this car long term. Oil changes around $50 and I change my own filters. Not much else to do this car until it needs spark plugs at 60k?

Toyota keeps whining about wanting to do my fuel injector but I don't see Lexus calling for it. My engine runs smooth and my mpg are reasonable for how I drive.

Just go by the Lexus maintenance manual.
Old 10-21-16, 11:47 AM
Toh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been quoted around mid $600s when I inquired about the services. Outrageous prices so I just go to reputable maintenance shops. The labor rate per hour that dealerships charge is ridiculous, plus the exponential markups they do on oils/filters and whatever is necessary.
Old 10-21-16, 11:50 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Holly frick!!! That's just plain ol highway robbery!!!

What I recommend is tackling items on that list yourself if your comfortable doing it.
The oil change is pretty easy to do yourself, just make sure you've got all the proper tools. Engine and interior filters take less than 5 mins to do. The only thing on that list is maybe have them do it the brake fluid. I realize they inspect a bunch of stuff but for 900 usd they are taking advantage. There is a reason they are called a stealership.
Call around and get yourself some quotes. Going to a non Lexus shop doesn't void your warranty.
Other have also suggested going to a Toyota dealership as you typically will save on the same service. Unfortunately for me the Lexus/Toyota dealership is located in the same building and they simply forward you to the Lexus desk 5 feet away.
Don't be afraid to tackle some of this yourself. There a tonne a YouTube DIYs on most of these items. And there are quite a few peeps here that are more than happy to answer any of question when attempting this yourself.
900usd.....wow totally unbelievable!!!
Old 10-21-16, 11:51 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
900 dollars? US dollars? That's insane for 30K mile service. Although the 30K mile recommended service does include (recommend) replacing the brake fluid, that price is outrageous and I can't imagine any knowledgeable person paying that for what the service includes. When servicing at the dealer I never ask for the recommended mileage service package, I just specifically request the service(s) I know need(s) to be done based on manufacturer maintenance schedule. So maybe ask them how much for an oil and filter change and brake fluid replacement. You can swap engine and cabin air filters yourself if needed, and all important inspections should be included in their vehicle inspection report anyway. Good luck.
My bad, it included the brake fluid change. But, still. I plan on asking the SA about the price of specific items, just to see what he/she says.
I called the indy shop and got quoted $330 for the same service including both filters. That is why dealerships stealerships have a bad rap. Deservingly so.

I also called the Toyota dealership just to see if they'd do it, no go.
Old 10-21-16, 11:55 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Am I understanding your post correctly, You're getting a Toyota dealer to do a full synthetic oil change on your Lexus for $50? And they are using full synth oil? That's a GREAT deal.
Yup! Full synthetic, or so they say. I'm actually so skeptical that I'm about to send off an oil sample for testing. My Chevy Cruze cost me $70 for synthetic at Sears. Hard to believe Toyota would do my Lexus for less!

I get my filters on eBay. Takes less than 5 mins.
Old 10-21-16, 12:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

They are essentially charging you $900 for an oil change.

All the other stuff takes less than 30 seconds to do and is just parts. Parts that are probably much less to purchase online.

Oil change? Buy an extractor. No need to drain from bottom. Take old oil to be recycled at your nearest auto parts store. Free. http://amzn.to/2eqZVDp

Filter--DIY. http://amzn.to/2eekELv You can use ramps to get the car up easily. http://amzn.to/2dVwg3c

Invest a little and DIY AND get to learn your car some =)

And don't forget Toyota oil: http://amzn.to/2e8adbj

My IS200t oil change is coming soon.. i'll probably do it myself.. well my 5k change. I don't know if I want to do 10k. I drive it hard.. lol
The following users liked this post:
axg200t (10-05-20)
Old 10-21-16, 12:21 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

All dealers will quote higher package maintenance. When I had my 30k done they told me $900 also, but I told them it's way too much. At that point he showed me different packages they have on the monitor. Cheapest 30k service is $400 which includes all Lexus recommended items. The rest are just extras service added by dealer, I don't recall what extra were included.
Old 10-21-16, 12:22 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
They are essentially charging you $900 for an oil change.

All the other stuff takes less than 30 seconds to do and is just parts. Parts that are probably much less to purchase online.

Oil change? Buy an extractor. No need to drain from bottom. Take old oil to be recycled at your nearest auto parts store. Free. http://amzn.to/2eqZVDp

Filter--DIY. http://amzn.to/2eekELv You can use ramps to get the car up easily. http://amzn.to/2dVwg3c

Invest a little and DIY AND get to learn your car some =)

And don't forget Toyota oil: http://amzn.to/2e8adbj

My IS200t oil change is coming soon.. i'll probably do it myself.. well my 5k change. I don't know if I want to do 10k. I drive it hard.. lol
First off - you are rediculously efficient and quick with your links. Very helpful. Thank you.
I changed my two filters 15,000 miles ago and have no problem doing that again. I'm just not gonna change oil or change out brake fluid.
I'll see what the charge will be for an oil and brake fluid change. When I had my oil changed at 20K it was $80. So, I have a comparison for that at least. I used to have an awesome service advisor, who knew how particular I am about my car, but he left. Sucks for me.

Once I started thinking about it, my mother-in-law drives a Lexus and will only take it to the dealership. I think she paid $1900 for the 100K service, so those are the people who will pay out the nose for this stuff I guess.
Old 10-23-16, 09:30 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

My Mercedes costs $100.00 for brake fluid flush as the dealership. Your 30K should only cost your normal 10K oil change (roughly $200.00) plus s brake fluid flush. So no more than $400.00 at the most.
Old 10-23-16, 09:33 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

BTW, for those who are in Socal, Longo Lexus has $100.00 oil change deal right now.