IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Headed Back to the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 04:05 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headed Back to the Dark Side

The lease on my 2015 IS350 will be up at the end of December. I was considering several options:

- Buying my car
- Leasing a new IS350
- Buying a used S4
- Leasing a new S3
- Leasing a new Q50S Red
- Leasing a new 340i M Sport

I didn't need to test drive and IS because I already know what it is. And, they aren't going to be making any performance updates to the 2017. I've already driving the Q50S and it was very nice, but not engaging. Sure the Red Sport is gonna be very fast but from what I've read, it's still not particularly engaging or fun.

So I started my search at the Audi dealer. I was really disappointed in the new S3. Can you say turbo lag? From a stoplight, nothing happens when you hit the gas and then, woosh - you take off like a jet. I test drove a regular A4 as well - same thing. The S3's interior is way too minimal for my taste. The new A4 interior is sweet, however. The used S4 hit the mark when it comes to performance. With gobs of torque, it's a whole other performance tier than the IS350. However, I learned that I could lease a brand new 340i for the same monthly payment (or less) than buying the used S4 - which has a really dated interior.

So then it was on to the BMW dealership for a test drive. My god, I forgot how much I missed the turbo inline 6. It sounds amazing and literally slams you back in the seat from 1,500 RPMs all the way up through the rev range. At higher revs, the IS350 engine also sounds and pulls pretty good. But at lower RPMs, it's no contest. The IS350 feels weak and sounds like a sewing machine. The BMW feels strong and purrs like a kitten.

As much as I liked the IS350, it never encouraged me to play. It was nice, solid and competent, but not thrilling. When I was test driving the BMW, I just wanted to get on it again and again. Within the next couple weeks, I'll be placing an order for European Delivery and I can't wait! For what it's worth, here's my quick comparison of the cars:

Exterior Styling: BMW
The Lexus looks REALLY good from some angles, but kinda awkward from others. It can be eye catching, but I've found myself growing tired of it already. The BMW has more classic lines, yet not boring.

Interior Styling: Lexus
The interior styling was my favorite part of the IS350

Interior Quality: BMW
The BMW isn't industry leading, but it's better than the Lexus. Let's face it, most cars interiors are made of rubber, plastic and maybe some leather. But the BMW "feels" like it's made of leather, wood and metal. While the Lexus feels more rubber-ish and plastic-ish. The Nuluxe seats have always felt like soft rubber to me. However, I will say that Nuluxe is waaaay more durable. After 20,000 miles, most leather seats and steering wheels are hard and shiny from the oils in our skin. But my Nuluxe looks fresh. The seats and steering wheel are still matte (not shiny) with no wrinkles or cracks. That said, it still doesn't look as expensive inside as the BMW.

Engine: BMW
See above. No contest.

Transmission: BMW
The BMW is a big winner here as well. Shifts are nearly instantaneous using the paddle shifters. The Lexus paddles are relatively quick compared to most cars but for me, even a small delay ruins the experience.

Suspension, Steering and Overall Handling: Lexus
The latest BMW suspension is world's better than that crashy sport suspension I used to have in my old E90. However, it's still not as good as the Sport+ setting in my F-Sport. The steering in the BMW is a tad too light, even in Sport mode. The the Lexus and BMW steering is a bit numb and artificial but I'd say the Lexus has more weight and feels more natural. So, the overall handling goes to the Lexus.

Conclusion
If Lexus would hurry up and offer a better, more modern, more torquey engine for the top of the line IS350, I'd strongly consider another one. But for now, I'm headed to Germany to go back to the dark side a bit. My BMW won't arrive here until late December, right around the time my lease ends. So I will get to enjoy my IS350 for a few more months. Saying goodbye will be bitter sweet. It's been a great car - 100% trouble free. But at the end of the day, it could use a little more power, soul and personality.

Old 08-17-16, 05:23 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive the C450/C43 AMG

The first MB that I seriously considered AFTER driving it.
Old 08-17-16, 06:47 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Drive the C450/C43 AMG

The first MB that I seriously considered AFTER driving it.
The C43 AMG is amazing. If you can afford it.
Old 08-17-16, 07:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Get what you like. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-17-16, 08:17 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a different preference on exterior styling, but I'm glad you found the car that you'll enjoy. As JDR76 said, get what you like. I won't mess with any 340s unless I feel like getting sand kicked in my face :-)
Old 08-17-16, 10:28 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you test drive V8 RCF?
Old 08-18-16, 02:17 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good choice. Very nice upgrade
Old 08-18-16, 04:53 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm happy that you're happy with your choice.

Personally, I think reliability is just as important as all your criteria above. Even if you're leasing. And we all know who would win in that matchup.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 08-18-16, 06:33 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you'll win all your drag races vs IS 350 at stop lights. That's what's most important .
Old 08-18-16, 07:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
At least you'll win all your drag races vs IS 350 at stop lights. That's what's most important .
I agree. I live my life a quarter mile at a time too!
Old 08-18-16, 08:01 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
Haha! True. But we all know that's totally irrelevant. What matters to me is how a car feels. I do a ton of city driving and I much prefer cars with more low-end power. At low RPMs, the turbo I6 feels, sounds and pulls better. Up high, I always thought the IS350 was pretty good.
Old 08-18-16, 08:08 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
I'm happy that you're happy with your choice.

Personally, I think reliability is just as important as all your criteria above. Even if you're leasing. And we all know who would win in that matchup.

Enjoy your new car!
Good point. But base on my personal experiences, I've owned 3 Audis and 2 BMWs. For the most part they were pretty reliable when new - the issues didn't start until after 50k miles or so. Even then, only one of my Audis was bad enough that I would call it "unreliable." But your comment did remind me that I left out some categories:

Reliability: Lexus
Hands down. If you're planning to keep your car a long time - even after warranty expires - then Lexus wins big here.

Price/Value: Lexus
I think the Lexus is an incredible value at it's price point. I'm not really being fair by comparing a 340i and S4 to an IS340. The 340 and S4 cost $10k more! And given it's much cheaper, the Lexus puts up a pretty good fight against the 340 and S4 and even wins in many categories.

If I was coming from some other car this decision would've been much harder because both the IS350 and 340 would feel "new" to me. At the end of the day, I'd say 50% of my decision is based on the fact I don't want to buy the same car twice. I have enjoyed this car a bunch and am anxious to see what the next generation IS350 is like. Last time, they didn't upgrade the engine at all. Hopefully they will next time. Infiniti did it with their Red Sport - why can't Lexus?
Old 08-18-16, 08:29 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm glad that you enjoyed your IS350! In my case, if I were to lease another car after the lease is up I would consider the IS350 since I currently drive the IS250. As others have mentioned, get what you like especially when it meets your needs! You won't have any regrets! The BMW 340 is a good looking car with sufficient performance to get you going (even better than the 335)!
Old 08-18-16, 08:52 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Good point. But base on my personal experiences, I've owned 3 Audis and 2 BMWs. For the most part they were pretty reliable when new - the issues didn't start until after 50k miles or so. Even then, only one of my Audis was bad enough that I would call it "unreliable." But your comment did remind me that I left out some categories:

Reliability: Lexus
Hands down. If you're planning to keep your car a long time - even after warranty expires - then Lexus wins big here.

Price/Value: Lexus
I think the Lexus is an incredible value at it's price point. I'm not really being fair by comparing a 340i and S4 to an IS340. The 340 and S4 cost $10k more! And given it's much cheaper, the Lexus puts up a pretty good fight against the 340 and S4 and even wins in many categories.

If I was coming from some other car this decision would've been much harder because both the IS350 and 340 would feel "new" to me. At the end of the day, I'd say 50% of my decision is based on the fact I don't want to buy the same car twice. I have enjoyed this car a bunch and am anxious to see what the next generation IS350 is like. Last time, they didn't upgrade the engine at all. Hopefully they will next time. Infiniti did it with their Red Sport - why can't Lexus?
Did you look at the RC-F? They can be had for the same amount as the 340 and the v8 pulls hard in every rpm. of course its 2 door vs 4 door but what a tempting car
Old 08-18-16, 10:15 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
Did you look at the RC-F? They can be had for the same amount as the 340 and the v8 pulls hard in every rpm. of course its 2 door vs 4 door but what a tempting car
That one wasn't on my list. Personally, I'm not a fan of the styling and I have kid so I much prefer 4 doors. I've heard it's a sweet car though.

Quick Reply: Headed Back to the Dark Side