IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Major Throttle and or Turbo Lag.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 09:37 PM
way2fast4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Throttle and or Turbo Lag.

So i just purchased a 2016 IS200t F-SPORT, and since owning it I've driven it about a 1000 city driving. So i decide to take a drive to Las Vegas and on the way up this car wanted to go and go and go! next purchase is a RADAR detector. '

Well giving the stats of LV little above elevation 2000' and 110-115 degrees!!! my car was unresponsive. It would take almost half throttle then car would take off like a bat out of hell every time i have to leave a stop light.. Has anyone experienced this?

Last edited by way2fast4u; 08-16-16 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 09:49 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by way2fast4u
It would take almost half throttle then car would take off like a bat out of hell every time i have to leave a stop light.. Has anyone experienced this?
This is an issue with all 200t models. I'd like to think it's because of a terribly slow drive-by-wire. An Apexi controller should help remedy this, but I've yet to test it.
Old 08-16-16, 09:58 PM
way2fast4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
This is an issue with all 200t models. I'd like to think it's because of a terribly slow drive-by-wire. An Apexi controller should help remedy this, but I've yet to test it.
Thanks Mason. I get the drive by wire crap! but this was while sitting at a light , it turns green i hit the gas (nothing) little more ( nothing) just about half way (I'm racing a 1/4 mile).. Now that I'm back at home in CA its driving just fine..
Old 08-16-16, 10:04 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Mason. I get the drive by wire crap! but this was while sitting at a light , it turns green i hit the gas (nothing) little more ( nothing) just about half way (I'm racing a 1/4 mile).. Now that I'm back at home in CA its driving just fine..
How peculiar, there isn't lag for you now that you're back in CA?For me (I'm in OC), I still get super slow throttle response. Strange.
Old 08-16-16, 10:17 PM
way2fast4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
How peculiar, there isn't lag for you now that you're back in CA?For me (I'm in OC), I still get super slow throttle response. Strange.
All good so far, now it could very well be slow but compared to what it was doing in Vegas its responsive..
Old 08-17-16, 06:30 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat soak.
Old 08-17-16, 07:06 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Elevation and attitude plays a role in acceleration.
Old 08-17-16, 08:17 PM
way2fast4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse
Elevation and attitude plays a role in acceleration.
Wouldn't the Computer correct all this? Personally i didn't mind as I'm used to things like this. I can't imagine a grandma sitting at a light.... Green...... she steps on the gas nothing little more nothing then............. boom she's doing a 1/4 mile time!!

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
Heat soak.
Whats Heat soak?
Old 08-17-16, 08:22 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Wouldn't the Computer correct all this? Personally i didn't mind as I'm used to things like this. I can't imagine a grandma sitting at a light.... Green...... she steps on the gas nothing little more nothing then............. boom she's doing a 1/4 mile time!!

Whats Heat soak?
All cars will suffer in performance at altitude and in hot climates. I believe the effect is somewhat worse for forced induction engines.
Old 08-17-16, 09:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Whats Heat soak?
Personally if your indicating a dead pedal setup in a hot climate, I`d say heat soak. Intercooler needs to be effective to extract the excess heat as a result of Forced Induction. In hotter weather, its difficult to remove heat then say in the tundra or normal temps. Computer has to adapt, and it lowers performance output. Usually the intercoolers are designed with excess heat in mind, however even then your can only do so much. Some designers add water sprays in front of the intercooler in these situations. But tbh, unless your car is expected to run at high temps or would need power like no other its ehh

Altitude should not be a problem, since FI already operate at elevated pressure. Altitudes really hit hard on NA engines. However of course on a hot day and at high altitude, your gonna experience power loss regardless of engine type.

I would see if any data logging left any clues to see if the heat was a factor. If your back in normal alt, and heat then its gonna be hard to reproduce.
Old 08-17-16, 09:52 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty much what ^he said.

To put it in it's simplest form, if your intercooler "soaks" up too much heat(especially on a red light, hot climates), it's passed onto your turbo with less dense air, hence the power loss. Less air, less power.