IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

60k miles maintenance service - HELP w/ inspections

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 09:49 AM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60k miles maintenance service - HELP w/ inspections

I need help with the inspections on my 2014 is250. I don't want to spend like hundreds of dollars just for inspections when I could try to do it myself... But I am clueless when it comes to cars... So I need your help guys! I do not where most of these things are nor do I know what to look for... I have googled it and it seems to show me how to remove and install.. Doesn't tell me what it should like if it's good or bad...

Here are things that Lexus recommends doing for 60,000 miles.

***REPLACEMENTS BELOW***
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace engine air filter ------- 17801-31170 ------- 07/09 - still good
Replace brake fluid ---------- Brake Fluid type SAE J1703 or FMVSS No. 116 DOT 3
Replace smart key battery -------- Lithium battery CR2032
Replace spark plugs ----- (DENSO FK20HBR11) - Gap (0.043 in. (1.1 mm) Use only iridium-tipped spark plugs. Do not adjust gap when tuning the engine.)

***INSPECTIONS BELOW***
Inspect axle shaft boots
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake rotor thickness and runout
Inspect drive belt(s)
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transmission for signs of leakage
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Old 07-19-16, 10:28 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont know where any of those things are i think it would be hard to explain over the webs as you need to lift the car up and open the engine bay to show everything. Replacing brake fluid and spark plugs is gona cost a couple hundred bucks alrdy regardless.

60k is a service that requires you to bring your car in and serviced by a professional according to the manual and not a DIY job unless you mechanically savvy which you are not.
Several hundred seems reasonable for the price of maintaining your lexus.
Old 07-19-16, 08:08 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sexis350
If you dont know where any of those things are i think it would be hard to explain over the webs as you need to lift the car up and open the engine bay to show everything. Replacing brake fluid and spark plugs is gona cost a couple hundred bucks alrdy regardless.

60k is a service that requires you to bring your car in and serviced by a professional according to the manual and not a DIY job unless you mechanically savvy which you are not.
Several hundred seems reasonable for the price of maintaining your lexus.
So $435 is a good price, right? Not getting ripped off or anything like that...?
Old 07-19-16, 08:43 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by gymjenkie
So $435 is a good price, right? Not getting ripped off or anything like that...?
For 60k it's a steal. Some dealers are charging $650 for 30k service.
Old 07-19-16, 10:34 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

435? go for it.
shops normally charge $100 for Brake fluid and $100 for plugs, but good luck getting a lexus dealer to charge you those prices.
Old 07-20-16, 06:28 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to a Toyota dealership. Much much cheaper than Lexus.
Old 07-20-16, 12:14 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Go to a Toyota dealership. Much much cheaper than Lexus.
Agreed, $435 is expensive for replacing 4 things. (replacing a smart key battery is not a major item).

After 60k miles, it's better to find a reliable Japanese mechanic who can look after your Lexus for you.
Old 07-20-16, 12:45 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Japanese mechanic
Old 07-20-16, 01:44 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
Agreed, $435 is expensive for replacing 4 things. (replacing a smart key battery is not a major item).

After 60k miles, it's better to find a reliable Japanese mechanic who can look after your Lexus for you.
Toyota IS a Japanese brand and owns Lexus. Why wouldn't they be a perfect choice? What would Lexus do better than Toyota besides the cookies?
Old 07-21-16, 09:07 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Toyota IS a Japanese brand and owns Lexus. Why wouldn't they be a perfect choice? What would Lexus do better than Toyota besides the cookies?
I think I left out a sentence. I "agreed" with you. I think Toyota is much more cost effective for service, especially with these services that are "inspection heavy." Toyota or a private Japanese mechanic would be good for cars over 60k miles.

All these "inspect-heavy" services reminds me of the termite guy, who comes and shines a flashlight on the wood in the garage and crawlspace, is out in 5 minutes, and you get a bill for $120.
Old 07-21-16, 07:51 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60K - just take this to an independent shop and get them to sign off on it.

Old 07-22-16, 01:05 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gymjenkie
But I am clueless when it comes to cars... So I need your help guys! I do not where most of these things are nor do I know what to look for...
I am assuming this is your first x10k Lexus service - in other words someone else before you did 40k, 50k services, etc.

Last edited by Olasek; 07-22-16 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 02:45 PM
eawillie
Driver School Candidate

It is require to remove the upper intake manifold in order to perform the spark plugs replacement. This requires the replacement of the upper intake manifold gasket and spark plugs, plus the brake fluid service. This service is easily worth 430.00 or more.
Old 07-25-16, 03:36 PM
eawillie
Driver School Candidate

It is require to remove the upper intake manifold in order to perform the spark plugs replacement. This requires the replacement of the upper intake manifold gasket and spark plugs, plus the brake fluid service. This service is easily worth 470.00 or more.
Old 07-26-16, 08:54 AM
gymjenkie
Rookie

The $435 quote I received was from an independent shop. I might ask Toyota what they'd charge.

The spark plugs definitely cost about $400+ due to the labor. And that's the prices / estimates from independent shops, not Lexus or Toyota.
Some people told me that I don't need to change my spark plugs until like 100k miles...

Plus my car just started doing something weird the other day... I was a red light w/ the A/C on, then the car started to "shake" .. It felt like it was an earthquake, then I realized the RPM stick was like twitching/tripping out; moving like how the stick on a lie detector.. Just moving left and right quickly, but it was only moving about a 0.5mm in between and it was under 1000 RPM. So far, I've read it could be carbon build up, spark plugs, crappy gas (I put Premium 91), etc.

^^ The RPM stick pretty much goes like that at 0:14 of the clip.

& yes, this is my first 10k service that I'm actually doing on my own. The 40k and 50k service wasn't a long list compared to the 60k.

Quick Reply: 60k miles maintenance service - HELP w/ inspections