IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

BMW 320i vs IS300h vs 300H F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 03:18 AM
dutchie01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 320i vs IS300h vs 300H F-Sport

i recently changed my 2013 BMW 320i touring high executive for a brandnew IS300H F-sport. the dealer was so nice to lend me a base 300H for the 3 weeks ( for free !) until the F was ready. here are some notes about the event.
entering the H the first thing i noticed was the difference in build quality. everything fits immaculate, nothing rattles or cracks and believe me the BM did just that. the detail in engineering is just so much higher than in the BM. The glovebox that always opens in an identiacl way, the BM opened sometimes fast sometimes not so. and little details like dark spots in the frontwindow behind the mirror that prevent the sun to enter between the sunblinds, or the windows that soft close. the whole cabin feels so much more 2015 compared to the BM and it is a just a great place to be in. i like the seats better, like the materials they used better, like the lay out better. i can go on and on this car did make an impression on me. i think the chassis is on par with the BM, well balanced and neutral in long wide corners very easy to manouvre around town especially in eco mode. sport mode makes the steering heavier and i like this in highways. the H is also pretty comfortable.it had standard 17' wheels and if pushed hard the abs kicks in pretty fast on one of the front wheels. i was a little fraid of the gearbox but oh boy did this CVT win me over. with 223 hp and instant torque from the electro motor on tap the H is not a prius with a high revving engine. there is always enough push available at low revs and especially in eco mode in dense city traffic it was a joy to drive using 5.8ltr/100km only! i think i drove 50/50% of the time on the electromotor only. that means no noise and combine that with the CVT that has no shiftmoments and you reach a state of refinement that puts other car manufacturers to shame. Highway i used the sportmode as steering is more meaty and power is more instantly availble. consumption here 5.2ltr/100km. i thought the looks of the car was very understated, you drive by without anybody paying attention.
when the 300H F-Sportline was ready is was expecting thesame drive and better looks. i could not have been more wrong.... The looks are great! F-white, moonroof, F wheels, Dark Rose leather, Mark Levinson, easy entry, heted cooled seats etc. the car is breathtakingly beautiful and i honestly always look around when walking away from it every time you see a different line or the light its it in a different angle. it is art on wheels.
The moment i drove off it felt like a different car than the H. lower, wider, stiffer heavier steering and to my astonishment in Sportmode felt considerably more powerful than the H! is the engine mapped differently? i think the steering is heavier due to the 18" low profile tyres and the springs are also a litte stiffer. it feels a bit alike the BM that had a comfort pack but was riding on 18"runflats. roadholdings is just as good as the H but on the highway much more serious this chassis can handle more horses than the car has that is for sure. I dont think this car is about the 0 - 100 km times or topspeed. it is the daily drive that makes it shine. the acceleration between 20 to 60 or 80 to 120 is always impressive and sometimes still surprises me coming out of a slow corner and hitting the gas. wow where did that come from feeling. the electro and petrol engines together create enough power but with astonishingly little fuelconsumption. another thing i noticed in the F is that if i drive over speedbumps the rear springs need a second movement to get the car stable again, you do feel the weight on the back axle something i did not feel in the H. also, the tyreas of the F, Yokohamas are very soft and prone to cupping. i frequently leave the car at the aiport for a couple of days and it can take up to 10 km before the vibrations are gone. Talking about vibrations, the H did have the vibration in the drivetrain that feels like you are driving over a rough surface between 70 - 100 kmh. the F-sport does not have it, it feel the e-motor coming on at that speeds but it is less than a second and not obtrusive.
to conclude i love the F. it is better engineered than the BM, drives better and is more interesting. go and sit in a BM 3 series and it feels you are going back in time.. the F just feels special but with all Lexus models one has to recognize it in order to be able to see it.
the 300H and the F feel like different cars and look like different cars. The H goes for 40k here and the F for 57 and that is a big difference. i think the H is the real bargain here but the F is sooo beautiful and special inside and out it is hard to withstand.......

happy motoring to all!
Old 09-02-15, 06:04 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

I almost bought a 320i and regretted not getting one....but I still love my Lexus!
Old 09-03-15, 01:04 AM
dutchie01
Driver School Candidate

Default 320i

the 3 series is a good car but in my opinion the 320i has the wrong engine/drivetrain. i had the 8 speed auto that just keeps shifting forever. when you accelerate the box looks for torque, does not find it in the gear it is in as it is programmed to keep the revs down as possible so shifts 2 or 3 gears down but then the turbo has to spool up before the torque is there. this can take 1.5 to 2 seconds. does not sound much but you can forget about diving into that hole or go for it at a roundabout. go for a six cylinder or my tip take a 4 cyl diesel if available in your country. that engine totally transforms the car torque always directly on tap. by the way overall fuelconsuption of the 320i was 9.8 ltrs/100km which is not good.
Old 09-03-15, 05:44 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I completely agree with all the points you have made! Hence, the IS300h F-Sport in White with Red leather is being picked up tomorrow to replace her Merc C-Class.

I also drove all the competitors before choosing the IS including the XE. In short the IS300h F-Sport won. It handles just as well as the XE and 3 series, its less rattly and more refined than any of its competitors, it has tonnes of mid-range urge - more than the equivalent BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes 2.0l petrol engines!

Not to mention the tax in the UK is only £20 a year for the IS and £130+ for the others. Also, I personally think the IS is the best looking car in the segment, BMW being too boring while the Jaguar and Mercedes have awkward side profiles.

Yes, the Merc has a better looking cabin but the quality of the materials used are not on par with Lexus. Their seats have fake, hard leather on them, Lexus in the UK use GENUINE leather for all their seats (no nuluxe here). Same issue with the Jaguar XE which had no padding in the armrests and the A-pillar was monumental, restricting visibility and eventually becoming very annoying. Once again, Jaguar quality left much to be desired with base engines coming with exhaust tips which look like drain pipes - a totally unfinished look.

I also agree with your points on the CVT - in no way did the IS prove inferior to BMW's transmissions when pushing on - yes there is a short lag before the power comes in but even the 320i does this due to its turbo! I have read many reviews saying the CVT drones on - I have only found this when trying to get 0-60 times - in normal driving the CVT is buttery smooth and doesn't drone at all!