IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

24k Miles and Tire blew on Tein H techs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 07:59 PM
KingBryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24k Miles and Tire blew on Tein H techs

So my rear driver side tire blew at 24k miles. Dropped with Tein H techs when i first bought and had it aligned via lexus. 14 months later and tire blew. The thread on the tire was very worn on the inner side of the tire so i had to exchanged them both. Anyone else tires blew this early/soon on Tein h techs? ....also I order the michelin ps2 ..and now its rubbing ? ... anyone know if its normal for tire to blow this soon? and why is the michelin rubbing when the tires are the exact same specs as factory? .. Didnt know i had to get camber kits for just H Techs.

any advice from anyone with this setup? thanks
Old 08-22-15, 06:05 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 826 Likes on 404 Posts

Excessive camber wear will eventually cause the tire to blow... That's not a problem with the tire but mainly due to excessive camber.
As for the PS2, even though it's the same specs, some tires are wider than others, Michelins are known to be on the wide side.
Old 08-22-15, 07:28 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, I thought H-tech are supposed to be on the mild drop side of things.
What were your camber specs and toe after you got the alignment?

And yes Michelin tires are easily +10mm in width usually compared to other manufacturers.
They incorporate their Twaron tech in their Pilot Super Sport tires, not sure about the PS2, but yeah I get rubbing too due to this.
Old 08-22-15, 07:49 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lowering your vehicles induces camber unless you install aftermarket camber adjustment items. Yes, camber causes inner tire wear. However, misaligned toe can chew up your tires much much faster. You could have easily been out of line.
Old 08-22-15, 09:01 AM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you on the OEM tires because they don't have very good tread life to begin with. How did the fronts look, any inner tire wear on those?
Old 08-25-15, 05:57 AM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when my car used to be lowered, I would swap them left right every 10k + alignment to even out the wear.
Old 09-02-15, 08:39 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you were on the factory Bridgestone ER33 they have a treadwear rating of 140. Let me give you an example of how unbelievably crappy that is... the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 which is basically a street legal racing tire has a treadwear rating of 180. The PSS that you are looking at is 300. The ER33 lasting 24K miles is a shock. I got 10K miles out of mine.

Aside from that you are lowered, so all you need to do is have your alignment person get your toe close to zeroed out and you will reduce your inner tire wear. Many folks think you need to do camber mods but you dont. Just fix the toe. This is what causes most inner wear.

Mike
Old 09-02-15, 07:19 PM
Mushi31
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have mine dropped on S tech which is the lower spring i believe. Anyways, my owe bridgestone tires same as yours. rear driver side blown on fwy. approx, 30k miles. At that time, the front two tires were worn from the inside and bubbles on the outer edge. At that point i got my new rims and tires... hopefully everything works out. I just find it a coincidence that it was your rear driver side .... lol