IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

help me with chrome door trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 12:57 AM
twodiamond
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me with chrome door trim

does anyone know how to remove the chrome trim around the windows,specifically the rear doors?

edit: reason why i need to take it off.

some low life left a really deep scratch on the chrome rear left window trim and i accidentally went over it with a power washer and the chrome started to peel.
im going to purchase a new lower section of the chrome but i need to save the top as much as i can.

Last edited by twodiamond; 07-13-15 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-13-15, 08:57 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vinyl wrap.
Old 07-13-15, 12:41 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Bad idea.
I was told by a body shop that to do this for the chrome rear portion of the rear window you have to replace the window also.
Old 07-13-15, 01:00 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
Bad idea.
I was told by a body shop that to do this for the chrome rear portion of the rear window you have to replace the window also.
WTF?!?! I highly doubt that. according to the diagrams, the window molding clips off. the bottom belt molding is a different story. don't know how that one comes off.
Old 07-13-15, 06:44 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
WTF?!?! I highly doubt that. according to the diagrams, the window molding clips off. the bottom belt molding is a different story. don't know how that one comes off.
There's diagrams, and then there's how it actually comes apart. The body shop talked me out of screwing with mine, based on their experience. IIRC, I think it had more to do with breaking a water tight seal and not being able to guarantee that it wouldn't leak unless you also replaced the window.
Old 07-13-15, 08:41 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

lmaoo what?! replace the windows? I got my chrome wrapped in matte black today. window trim and grill surround. if you get a guy who knows what they're doing you'll be fine. the guy wrapped all my trim without have to remove it from the car. don't let people fool you!!!
Old 07-13-15, 09:11 PM
twodiamond
Driver School Candidate

it has to be able to come off without replacing the window,some low life left a really deep scratch on the chrome rear left window trim and i accidentally went over it with a power washer and the chrome started to peel.
im going to purchase a new lower section of the chrome but i need to save the top as much as i can.
Old 07-13-15, 09:13 PM
twodiamond
Driver School Candidate

i thought about plasti dipping or vinyl wrapping it but the scratch is deep enough to where you would still see the outline.
Old 07-14-15, 07:12 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by twodiamond
i thought about plasti dipping or vinyl wrapping it but the scratch is deep enough to where you would still see the outline.
put some bondo, spackling paste or epoxy and smooth it out before you plastidip it.
Old 07-14-15, 01:38 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twodiamond
it has to be able to come off without replacing the window,some low life left a really deep scratch on the chrome rear left window trim and i accidentally went over it with a power washer and the chrome started to peel.
Someone posted on the forum last month about replacing the lower part of the chrome trim on his driver's side door. He said the lower piece just snaps into place with heavy duty plastic clips...

However, the top trim on the front and rear doors does not simply snap into place. I had a bad gash on my front driver's side upper trim piece and it bothered me every time I looked at it, so I decided to replace it with the help of a friend. It's fastened down with rivets that have to be drilled out. Reinstalling the rubber seals around the window and door was actually pretty easy. No problems with wind or water leaks. In fact, it sounds quieter to me now than it did before. I used the TIS service manual for guidance, but eliminated quite a few unnecessary steps.

Attached are a few pics I took during the process to give you an idea of how it's fastened to the door.

Old 07-15-15, 08:04 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luisvm
Someone posted on the forum last month about replacing the lower part of the chrome trim on his driver's side door. He said the lower piece just snaps into place with heavy duty plastic clips...
Nice share and thank you for the pictures and guidance!