IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Memory seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 10:21 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Memory seats

For those who have the F-Sport IS is it possible to add the memory seat option as an aftermarket option?
Old 06-12-15, 10:54 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If yes, it'd probably be prohibitively expensive.
Old 06-12-15, 04:27 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always wondered this as well, but have no idea how much and what parts are needed :/
Old 07-17-15, 06:35 AM
ISsyMama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's already a feature...

My cousin is the chief mechanic for Lexus headquarters. He said the memory seats are associated with the keys. When you enter the car with a particular key, the seats readjusts to the last setting the seat was in when that key was used.
Old 07-17-15, 06:58 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISsyMama
My cousin is the chief mechanic for Lexus headquarters. He said the memory seats are associated with the keys. When you enter the car with a particular key, the seats readjusts to the last setting the seat was in when that key was used.
F-Sport version don't even have the memory seats, so there is nothing to associate with the key to begin with. The OP wants to know if there is a way to retrofit factory or aftermarket memory seat option to an F-Sport model
Old 07-17-15, 07:07 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

if the harness for the memory seats are stowed, then technically, yes it can be done. actually, it can be done even if there is no harness, but it would take longer. just need the wiring diagrams and the buttons and actuator to complete the option.
Old 07-17-15, 07:31 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cp2
if the harness for the memory seats are stowed, then technically, yes it can be done. actually, it can be done even if there is no harness, but it would take longer. just need the wiring diagrams and the buttons and actuator to complete the option.
Adding the switches would be required, but would there be ECU programming as well? Is there a separate module controlling the memory functions? That ECU would also control the position of the side mirrors (in normal and reverse mode) and the position of the steering column, which is also not included in the F-Sport.

As an example of how complicated this could become:
I learned on this forum that the lane change signals for the 3IS are actually controlled by the wiper ECU. A member pointed it out when discussing how to change the number of flashes for the lane change function and why that setting is not available in TechStream or the Carista App.
Old 07-17-15, 07:49 AM
cp2
Racer

oops...i forgot to enter the brain of the system as well. i'm not quite sure what system memory seats are tied to or if their an independent system w/o looking at a wiring diagram.
Old 07-17-15, 08:45 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
i'm not quite sure what system memory seats are tied to or if their an independent system w/o looking at a wiring diagram.
The Seat Position Control ECM is on the CAN bus. With memory seats there are numerous additional parts in the seats (position sensors), on the door panel, and elsewhere.

I don't think a field upgrade would be cost effective. Maybe next year Lexus will offer the F-Sport package on the IS with some of the luxury options such as are found in the RC.
Old 07-17-15, 09:03 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ISsyMama
Welcome to the forum.

It's nice of your cousin to "educate" us on that but can he enlighten us as to why this seemingly common option is available on much less expensive cars and not on an IS250/350 F-Sport that goes for around $44-50k.
Old 07-17-15, 09:53 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Adding the switches would be required, but would there be ECU programming as well? Is there a separate module controlling the memory functions? That ECU would also control the position of the side mirrors (in normal and reverse mode) and the position of the steering column, which is also not included in the F-Sport.
For clarification, the power steering column isn't available with F-Sport package but it does come with VGRS if you chose that option.
Old 07-17-15, 10:31 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care much for the memory seats but a heated steering wheel would be amazing
Old 07-17-15, 10:39 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So pissed still they dont have memory seats. Gonna haunt me forever.

Might be possible. Probably have to steal all the parts from another car. Im guessing harnesses, brain and new chair motor. At that point minus swap out the whole seat but wouldnt mtach
Old 07-17-15, 12:03 PM
cp2
Racer

it is disappointing that it wasn't an option, but asking dude's cousin isn't going to get you the answers. we'd have to ask corporate. memory seats, memory telescoping stering wheels and adjusting side view mirrors would've been golden, but i guess that's why they made the GS huh?
Old 07-17-15, 02:11 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
it is disappointing that it wasn't an option, but asking dude's cousin isn't going to get you the answers. we'd have to ask corporate. memory seats, memory telescoping stering wheels and adjusting side view mirrors would've been golden, but i guess that's why they made the GS huh?
No, that's why they made the luxury version of the IS.

Quick Reply: Memory seats