IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

allfit lip kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 12:29 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxqd
I can't get the screw in the under cause the coating, do you think if i put in a new 3m tape and take the old one out it'll work? its very hard to penetrate with those screw under the hood section.

how did everyone else put it on without issue? I did clean it actually i washed my car and wax it so its clean down there/
The key is to clean with rubbing alcohol. This is very important. Rubbing alcohol is an agent that will thoroughly remove all dirt, even after a thorough wash. This is key to a strong bond with the tape.

As for the screws, is your car jacked up for extra clearance to get correct leverage on the screws?
Old 01-17-15, 12:43 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

I can't get the screw in the under cause the coating, do you think if i put in a new 3m tape and take the old one out it'll work? its very hard to penetrate with those screw under the hood section.

how did everyone else put it on without issue? I did clean it actually i washed my car and wax it so its clean down there/
At this point, if the tape is not sticking like it should, it is likely very dirty. Correct prep is key and important. Nonetheless, your fix to this minor issue is to install the screws and washers and at that point it won't matter how well the tape sticks. If you are having issues with getting the screws in, I recommend jacking the car up for sufficient clearance for some good leverage. If a hand screw driver is not effective (which we have had great success on a large variety of vehicles with just a screw driver and correct leverage and some persistence should get you through), then your next best step is to jack the car up and use a drill. Those screws are self tapping, and unless you are installing on a metal surface, they will have no problem going right in to your bumper without having to pre-drill a hole. Please keep us posted how this goes
Old 01-17-15, 01:09 PM
rxqd
Rookie

but i'd rather not screw in cause i'm getting another lip, this is just my temp lip and when my other lip comes i'll screw and i don't want to mess up the place.
Old 01-17-15, 02:27 PM
rxqd
Rookie

Default re

i just need to get the 3m double sided side for molding right? http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html
Old 01-17-15, 03:19 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

i just need to get the 3m double sided side for molding right? http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html
The only way I could see this partly working is by attaching the tape currently on the lip to the new tape which could look weird with a thicker section of tape. I don't foresee you being able to remove the current tape that is on the lip since it is heat bonded on. Also, even if you were able to remove the tape, your replacement tape will not stick to our material unfortunately.

Also, without the vehicle being correctly prepped, I do not foresee the bond of the lip being very strong on the other parts of the vehicle which also puts the rest of the lip at risk of pealing off.

With correct prep with the rubbing alcohol as mentioned within your package installation instructions and on our website, our tape provides an unbelievable strong bond in most circumstances. There are some other factors that can effect the bond strength but we use a very highly tack rated automotive grade 3M tape. Without the rubbing alcohol, there was undoubtedly a decent amount of dirt still on the bottom of your vehicle not allowing for a strong bond.

Unfortunately, if the screws are not an option for you, the only correct way to fix this issue at this point is a replacement lip. The tape is currently not going to do you much good at this point unfortunately.

I can understand your frustration in this but hope you understand our stance on this also. With correct prep the first time around, all issues are eliminated. We do everything we can to make this known when opening the package and also visiting our website for instructions. I will offer you a discount on a replacement lip as I want to help you out in correctly installing your lip and your satisfaction is important to us. But please understand, there is also an option for the current lip to be sufficiently secured with the screws and washers. Also, even with correct prep and a secure bond of the tape, there is still a chance the lip can come off if opting to not use the screws and washers. Our lip installs to the bottom of your car that takes an unbelievable amount of abuse and adverse environments. Our product is built to withstand these conditions, but only with proper installation with all necessary hardware.
Old 01-18-15, 11:18 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Over the course of the years of adding these types of lips to the front here's my 2 cents.

1) Ensure that you are adding the lip in a warm environment (warmer days, inside your garage, etc.) You may opt to use a hair dryer or a heat gun too if you are in a frigid environment with no other option.

2) Clean mounting surface with alcohol. I use 93% from a local CVS Pharmacy. Don't use wax or anything that will take away the clean alcohol surface.

3) Wipe surface with clean napkin/microfiber cloth after thoroughly cleaning.

4) Put AFL kit on, and in areas with rough creases (including the sides near the wheel wells) put and hold pressure with your hand for a good 30 seconds before continuing with the rest of the install.

5) Now this is the meaty part - after finishing with the lip mounting - just use clear packaging tape, or anything similar that wont leave a sticky residue, and place it around the creased areas (especially on the sides near the wheel wells) so that you hold both the rubber lip and bumper together with the tape. Leave it on overnight when you're not driving and then take it out the next day.

This minimizes the effects of gravity from doing its work and leaves you with a pretty darn solid mount. Mine has been on for about 8 months now with no tapping screws. This has been through the roughest of scrapes too, potholes etc.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by LexSense; 01-18-15 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Meant to say all fit lip instead of ez-lip.
Old 01-18-15, 12:04 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexSense
Over the course of the years of adding these types of lips to the front here's my 2 cents.

1) Ensure that you are adding the lip in a warm environment (warmer days, inside your garage, etc.) You may opt to use a hair dryer or a heat gun too if you are in a frigid environment with no other option.

2) Clean mounting surface with alcohol. I use 93% from a local CVS Pharmacy. Don't use wax or anything that will take away the clean alcohol surface.

3) Wipe surface with clean napkin/microfiber cloth after thoroughly cleaning.

4) Put EZ-Lip on, and in areas with rough creases (including the sides near the wheel wells) put and hold pressure with your hand for a good 30 seconds before continuing with the rest of the install.

5) Now this is the meaty part - after finishing with the lip mounting - just use clear packaging tape, or anything similar that wont leave a sticky residue, and place it around the creased areas (especially on the sides near the wheel wells) so that you hold both the rubber lip and bumper together with the tape. Leave it on overnight when you're not driving and then take it out the next day.

This minimizes the effects of gravity from doing its work and leaves you with a pretty darn solid mount. Mine has been on for about 8 months now with no tapping screws. This has been through the roughest of scrapes too, potholes etc.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the input.

Please understand, while our product may have a similar appearance, you are talking about two completely different parts and materials. We do not sell the EZ rip and you are one the of few fortunate to have that epdm last so long. Whether customers choose our brand or others, we hate to see low quality parts not withstand the test and are happy to hear that your product has been good so far.

With that being said, our competitors use a low quality epdm material. NOT meant to withstand curbs and scrapes. We custom manufacture and brand a material unlike anything in the industry actually meant to protect and withstand the curbs and scrapes. As stated all throughout this thread, we have plenty of customers who have tried the two brands and notice first hand the major difference in quality between the two and why ultimately, our customers choose the All-Fit Lip Kit over any other universal option in the industry. We worked very hard developing our unique material and are constantly working to improve.

If our company name is not stamped/branded on the underside, you are getting a material that performs completely different.

Also, as far as installation goes, we understand that many cars have different features and finishes and that 3m tape does not correctly bond to all vehicles no matter how well the surface is correctly prepped. That is why we include corrosion resistant, self tapping black screws paired with our custom stamped nylon washers that can flex and form with the shape of your vehicle. No need to wait overnight or worry about the strength of the tape bond if you use the tapes and washers. For the slammed guys, that epdm from competitors is of no good as a few good scrapes and instantly the product is torn and must be removed. Aside from the correct, secure bond of the tape, the product will tear. Our product being the All-Fit Lip Kit will withstand the majority of such scrapes which is what was one of our main priorities when developing the material. No need to worry about correct prep or overnight waiting for the bonding of the tape if opting for our screws and washers proven to provide ultimate, secure install. Which is a great solution for most of our customers.

We are a sponsor on here and feel we are not only offering a product of quality, but one by one improving the negative assumptions that are sometimes made of such a universal part. We have companies protecting their carbon fiber parts with our material and feel this speaks for the quality and level of protection our unique material offers.

My intent is to not come off as defensive in this post but to educate on the difference. We are two completely different brands, which many users in this thread have had the pleasure of experiencing with and see first hand the true difference in the All-Fit Brand.

Thank you for your input and if you are ever in need of a replacement, we hope you choose our brand to put to the test like many others have. We are confident you will be very happy with the results and ultimately, amazed at the All-Fit difference.
Old 01-18-15, 05:16 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFit
Thank you for the input.

Please understand, while our product may have a similar appearance, you are talking about two completely different parts and materials. We do not sell the EZ rip and you are one the of few fortunate to have that epdm last so long. Whether customers choose our brand or others, we hate to see low quality parts not withstand the test and are happy to hear that your product has been good so far.

With that being said, our competitors use a low quality epdm material. NOT meant to withstand curbs and scrapes. We custom manufacture and brand a material unlike anything in the industry actually meant to protect and withstand the curbs and scrapes. As stated all throughout this thread, we have plenty of customers who have tried the two brands and notice first hand the major difference in quality between the two and why ultimately, our customers choose the All-Fit Lip Kit over any other universal option in the industry. We worked very hard developing our unique material and are constantly working to improve.

If our company name is not stamped/branded on the underside, you are getting a material that performs completely different.

Also, as far as installation goes, we understand that many cars have different features and finishes and that 3m tape does not correctly bond to all vehicles no matter how well the surface is correctly prepped. That is why we include corrosion resistant, self tapping black screws paired with our custom stamped nylon washers that can flex and form with the shape of your vehicle. No need to wait overnight or worry about the strength of the tape bond if you use the tapes and washers. For the slammed guys, that epdm from competitors is of no good as a few good scrapes and instantly the product is torn and must be removed. Aside from the correct, secure bond of the tape, the product will tear. Our product being the All-Fit Lip Kit will withstand the majority of such scrapes which is what was one of our main priorities when developing the material. No need to worry about correct prep or overnight waiting for the bonding of the tape if opting for our screws and washers proven to provide ultimate, secure install. Which is a great solution for most of our customers.

We are a sponsor on here and feel we are not only offering a product of quality, but one by one improving the negative assumptions that are sometimes made of such a universal part. We have companies protecting their carbon fiber parts with our material and feel this speaks for the quality and level of protection our unique material offers.

My intent is to not come off as defensive in this post but to educate on the difference. We are two completely different brands, which many users in this thread have had the pleasure of experiencing with and see first hand the true difference in the All-Fit Brand.

Thank you for your input and if you are ever in need of a replacement, we hope you choose our brand to put to the test like many others have. We are confident you will be very happy with the results and ultimately, amazed at the All-Fit difference.
Oh wow, oops, I put EZ-Lip instead of AFL that's a big my bad!

Let me go fix that now. I must have got used to saying that instead of AFL. I have the AFL kit actually

And that was me who posted a review a couple of posts up regarding the superior All Fit Lip kit :X
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8835028

The packaging tape method didn't work very well on the EZ-Lip speaking of which, gravity just does work on that tape like no other. This however wasn't the case for the All Fit Lip kit, to my surprise.

I'll definitely be down for a group buy to have as a spare too!

Last edited by LexSense; 01-18-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 08:43 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexSense
Oh wow, oops, I put EZ-Lip instead of AFL that's a big my bad!

Let me go fix that now. I must have got used to saying that instead of AFL. I have the AFL kit actually

And that was me who posted a review a couple of posts up regarding the superior All Fit Lip kit :X
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8835028

The packaging tape method didn't work very well on the EZ-Lip speaking of which, gravity just does work on that tape like no other. This however wasn't the case for the All Fit Lip kit, to my surprise.

I'll definitely be down for a group buy to have as a spare too!
Awesome! Really glad to hear you have our quality.

Group buy coming in the next few days! Stay tuned! Help us spread the word once launched. There are a ton of members on here so hoping for a big response.
Old 01-19-15, 11:32 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

GROUP BUY STARTED! TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...rotecting.html
Old 01-20-15, 09:46 AM
daobn24
Pole Position

Hi, I finally installed this lip-kit over the weekend and it looks great! After the first 30 minutes though, I scraped it coming out of the driveway. The lip help up great, but now there are scrape marks on part of it. I tried cleaning it with water and even used Mother's Back-to-Black but the scrapes are still present. Do you have any recommendation to help fix this?
Old 01-20-15, 10:48 AM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by daobn24
Hi, I finally installed this lip-kit over the weekend and it looks great! After the first 30 minutes though, I scraped it coming out of the driveway. The lip help up great, but now there are scrape marks on part of it. I tried cleaning it with water and even used Mother's Back-to-Black but the scrapes are still present. Do you have any recommendation to help fix this?
Glad to hear installation was successful. The lip is absolutely protecting but will start to wear in the process of protecting on the super hard scrapes. This is how our material can withstand so much abuse because it "gives" with the scrapes but does start to wear while protecting. I have actually seen customer scrape or slam an object so hard, that it ripped our product off the bumper ripping the SCREWS out! Awesome stuff really. Showing that the screws will rip out before the product will tear. Some great strength showcased in those instances.

Think about this, you take the strongest stuff you can think off. Lets just even take concrete for an example. Attach it to the bottom of your vehicle. Now drive your 3000+ pound vehicle and scrape it up against concrete. You will absolutely start wearing that concrete or potentially even break it with such impact.

The product wearing like that, is unfortunately unavoidable due to the nature of some impacts. But please understand, this is normal and doing its job.

Very glad to hear about your experience so far. Thanks for choosing All-Fit Automotive!
Old 01-21-15, 12:53 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So i noticed my all fit lip coming off on the edge where it starts. I made sure to clean it properly i heated it up and everything. I just installed it to. Also kinda coming off on other spots. Not holding up as good as i thought it would. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 01-21-15, 01:17 PM
AllFit
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steveo55
So i noticed my all fit lip coming off on the edge where it starts. I made sure to clean it properly i heated it up and everything. I just installed it to. Also kinda coming off on other spots. Not holding up as good as i thought it would. Ill keep you guys posted.
Did you clean with rubbing alcohol? And screws and washers, screws and washers, screws and washers. This has nothing to do with the strength or quality of the product. If it is pealing off of the car, the screws and washers should be used. That is why we include them. You're talking 14 small holes in the bottom of your bumper to securely install our product. The protection it offers, the few small holes more than pay for itself. You would never see these holes if you decided to remove the lip
Old 01-21-15, 01:29 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

^^^ true story. I had the lip installed with screws and washers and it's holding up great.

Quick Reply: allfit lip kit