Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 09:25 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe

This is your chance to sway me one way or another

I like the new IS looks, I don't like some of what I've read about gas mileage. I also like the Mercedes CLA coupe looks, love the mileage, but realize I'll probably be giving up Lexus reliability and service.

CLA is front wheel drive but comes in AWD which is catching my eye big time.

I know this is a Lexus forum -- I'm a current Lexus owner and generally prefer Japanese engineering and reliability to European, but some of the things I've read about mileage of the 3rd gen IS250 worry me (I don't need the HP of the 350 so I don't care to pay extra for it) even though I'm happy with mileage of the 2nd gen IS.

Would love to hear from those who have given both careful consideration. I don't want to just get in a brand debate because honestly I'm much more on the Lexus side when it comes to that. I want to talk specific car model pros and cons.
Old 04-11-14, 09:37 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a huge Lexus fan, but the CLA isn't in the same league. Small, cheapish, and a class down. I'd prefer a 328 by far at least check out the A3. All depends on options and what power level you prefer.
Old 04-11-14, 09:41 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJW
I'm not a huge Lexus fan, but the CLA isn't in the same league. Small, cheapish, and a class down. I'd prefer a 328 by far at least check out the A3. All depends on options and what power level you prefer.
I'd certainly consider alternatives to the discussion. But, cheapish in what way? And from what I've read, it's larger than the current C class sedan.

I also have to ask, what car do you drive personally, if not a Lexus fan? Your profile says you have a Lexus.
Old 04-11-14, 09:47 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest that you test drive both, they are very different cars, the CLA has very cheap interior in my personal opinion. Mercedes created a sub entry level car below their C class (which is comparable to IS), go figure lol.
Old 04-11-14, 09:50 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I suggest that you test drive both, they are very different cars, the CLA has very cheap interior in my personal opinion. Mercedes created a sub entry level car below their C class (which is comparable to IS), go figure lol.
I wonder why it gets such rave reviews? Maybe I should wait for the redesign of the C class coming this fall.
Old 04-11-14, 10:28 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive an IS350, new owner, happy, but hardly in love. The CLA is pretty small, i'm certain it's smaller than the C class.

What's the budget? The CLA just seems to try to hard to hit a price instead of being a good car. Just my opinion.
Old 04-11-14, 11:41 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

This is my comment about CLA and 3IS. I actually placed an order on both. Glad I got rid of the CLA.

So basically I custom ordered a CLA about a month after it was launched. At that time, I thought the car is pretty. It has the typical FWD feeling on it, but it def have enough power. Comparing to IS250, its slightly faster. Eventho specs says it only has 4 more hp than the 3IS. Weird, maybe Merc should put it as 220 hp or so? CLA back seats are awful, and if you dont get the panoramic roof, the rear cabin feels claustrophobic. Interior quality is also rather mediocre. The plastic around the center console is very cheap, also its sports seats aren't as comfy as 3IS ones.

Get the 3IS, not the CLA. You won't like how uncomfy its ride is. You feel every bumps on the road. You get tired after driving it for a while. CLA that comes to USDM has sports suspension. Thats why. The one in Europe has more comfortable setting, maybe this will change it.

Anyway, long story short, my CLA didn't arrive on time. Since I had a deadline, I was looking out at other cars. I test drove the F30 328i and 3IS. 328i power band is awesome and its 8 speed tranny is smooth. But the interior quality is horrible. I test drove one with beige interior (leatherette version) and I feel the seats will worn prematurely. Also, spec out 328i will cost a fortune compared to similarly equipped 3IS. Merc C250 was not in the consideration since its old. And Q50 looks like 1990s Nissan from the back with LED lighting in front headlight. So a no to Infiniti.

Initially I wasn't even considering buying the 3IS. Having owned 2 Lexus in the past, I wanted to try something new. But I was impressed on how much improvements it has, compared to 2IS. The engine could use a little change but if Lexus is aiming for reliability, it works. The 2.5L and 6 speed combo from 2IS is bulletproof. I am not regretting my purchase at all. im definitely glad that I'm not a CLA owner. The car looks cheap and it screams entry level mercedes everytime I see one on the road.

Definitely don't buy the CLA.
Old 04-12-14, 05:09 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I couldn't have said it any better than Smardav.

My brother has the CLA250 as well as the ML350 (he loves Benz's), and as I sat in the CLA, the center interior felt very plasticky cheap, Mitsubishi Evo type of cheap plastic. The seats were nice and I like the rear tail lights design but aside from that the car is small, you can feel every road bump and I can't get over the fact the 250 version has the shift **** by the steering wheel.

There's a reason the CLA is priced the way it is, just doesn't compare to the IS since, IMO, is a step-down in class.
Old 04-12-14, 05:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea its priced under $30k but its very bare bones, get any decent optioning on it and it explodes to near 40k
Old 04-12-14, 08:44 AM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
I wonder why it gets such rave reviews? Maybe I should wait for the redesign of the C class coming this fall.
Because it's new and all the auto reviewers know that if they give it a bad review their all expenses luxury press junkets will end.

We looked at the CLA and thought the interior looked cheap. The nav looks like they just plopped a portable system right onto the middle of the dash, the vents looked cheap too.

Also we didn't want front wheel drive or the complication, expense and performance robbing four wheel drive.

I think the IS250 compares more directly with the C class. We thought the IS interior, even in NuLuxe trim was a big step above the Mercedes interior. Plus your get the legendary Lexus reliability. As the owner of several Mrecedes over the last 20 years, I'm done with their maintenance and repair bills. I still have my SL, my wife says she'll leave me if I sell it, but I'm done with Mercedes.

My only issue with the IS, and it seems to be the same with most Japanese cars, is that they seem designed for people with short legs. When I get the seat adjusted so the pedals feel comfortable, my arms are almost straight out to the steering wheel, even with the wheel fully extended. But it's my wife's car and it fits her.

After three months, she loves the IS.
Old 04-12-14, 07:21 PM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was torn between both 2 months ago my thoughts on the CLA were- small in the backseat, the passenger floorboard feels awkward, expensive repairs, questionable reliability, fairly cheap looking interior. The IS isnt perfect either and I'm still not 100% I made the right decision, however if you're going the Benz route I think its worth waiting for the new C-class this fall.
Old 04-12-14, 07:33 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode in a friend's CLA 250 back seat... yeah I know not the drivers seat but I'll put in word for what your passengers would think. First off, the car is small, the back seat made me feel claustrophobic because of the no headroom, small windows, and black headliner... btw i'm 5'10. I would get the C-Class any day.
Old 04-12-14, 07:38 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Not everyone gives the cla rave reviews. It got dead last in the latest comparisons in motortrend. And across the board they label it as "harsh", " half a Mercedes ", and " expensive with options ".
Old 04-12-14, 09:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I didn't really consider the CLA but wanted to chime in on fuel economy. It looks like you have a 2IS 250 based on your signature can expect the same mileage. Also having owned a 2IS, basically the 3IS is no better, no worse. But don't forget you'd be giving up that buttery smooth V6 if you go for the 4-cyl CLA. Good luck!
Old 04-12-14, 11:22 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

These have been great comments so far! I really appreciate it, and if there are any more please do chime in....

Quick Reply: Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe