IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 12:02 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned a C320, CLK320, 2IS350, and now a 3IS350. Loved all of them. All have good and bad things, just get what you want and enjoy it while you have it and move on.......
Old 04-13-14, 02:37 AM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MBTC
This is your chance to sway me one way or another

I like the new IS looks, I don't like some of what I've read about gas mileage.
First, it's not up to us to sway you. You need to drive the cars that interest you and make the choice that feels best to you. They say the car you pick says more about you than any other decision. If that is true that means it is very personal decision. I say go by emotion more than any other factor, and I'm a logical/tactical guy. Besides test driving cars is free and is easily the best part of the whole car buying experience.

Second, the gas mileage appears to be the same as the 2IS. You have the same 2IS I did - smokey granite mica 2IS250. I averaged 25-27mpg in that car with very spirited driving. The 3IS250 loaner I had for a month (with 7k miles on it) gave me the same gas mileage ...well except for the tank I tried 86 octane on it - bad choice.

I currently drive a 3IS 350 and I average 22-23mpg with spirited driving in Sport mode 100% of the time with 50/50 split of freeway and city driving. My best tank was 25.2mpg driving in ECO and driving like a pansy - again 50/50 freeway/city split. My friend with a 2IS 350 said his 350 started off at 19/20mpg but now averages 25-27 and he only drives in Power mode.

The people complaining about horrible gas mileage live in the most populated areas in the nation and have the worst traffic in the nation. Location affects gas mileage more than anything else. Weather (bad humidity and cold) is also a big player.
Old 04-13-14, 02:55 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

CLA if (manage to kidnap my dads CLA for a week):
You want a coupe. The rear is really really tight. The rear lights looks awesome at night. Good economy
Bumpy ride quality with decent handling

3IS if:
Good handling
Good comfort
Bigger space
Bulletproof reliability
Poor economy
Old 04-13-14, 08:49 AM
markb3
Driver

My opinion:

#1 I wouldn't buy a German car that's not made in Germany. Their reliability is already garbage as it is.

#2 the CLA is ugly.

But then again, most reviewers thought the 3IS grill is hideous and that's the reason I bought the car. Who am I to say.
Old 04-13-14, 02:26 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slust
First, it's not up to us to sway you.
Umm.. come on, that's why there was a smiley behind it.
Old 04-13-14, 02:30 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Larry96815
I have owned a C320, CLK320, 2IS350, and now a 3IS350. Loved all of them. All have good and bad things, just get what you want and enjoy it while you have it and move on.......
Yes of course, and then there is the actual process of deciding what one wants (that would be this thread). Most people probably don't want to just throw 30k-40k at something then decide if they like it later, and a test drive doesn't always paint as clear a picture as getting feedback from folks who have friends or family with one and have spent a lot of time in it, etc. or simply were looking at the same two models. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I did tell myself I'd never own a four cylinder again, although gas prices were still under 2 bucks a gallon for premium when I told myself that.
Old 04-13-14, 04:31 PM
steco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're worrying about the mileage in the is, i can assured you that the CLA doesn't really make that much of a different. i can say this because my friend bought a CLA. Even thought on the paper, it showed the CLA get 24/34 mpg. in reality, my friend only get like 21 over all and his commute is 70% local & 30% freeway. Realistically, The IS probably get around the same mileage with 1-2 miles different, so i say go for the IS.
About the CLA, I sat in his CLA a few time but the quality of the interior doesn't really impress me that much. Especially the pop out navigation screen. Some of my friends kept bumping their heads from getting in&out of the back seat even thought their heights are like 5'8. The interior is small for sure.
the seats looked nice but they don't really feel very comfortable at all. furthermore, the suspension of the CLA isn't very firm makes it even more uncomfortable for the passengers.
the thing that i like most about the CLA probably is the look. Also, it feels very fast even thought it only has 200 hp maybe due to the turbo.
Old 04-13-14, 04:49 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Yes of course, and then there is the actual process of deciding what one wants (that would be this thread). Most people probably don't want to just throw 30k-40k at something then decide if they like it later, and a test drive doesn't always paint as clear a picture as getting feedback from folks who have friends or family with one and have spent a lot of time in it, etc. or simply were looking at the same two models. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I did tell myself I'd never own a four cylinder again, although gas prices were still under 2 bucks a gallon for premium when I told myself that.
FYI I do not trade as often as it sounds. My CLK was ten years old when I just sold it to get the IS 350 F Sport. Ten years old, not one parking dent and 19,000 miles. Sit back and enjoy the ride..... and life. I am 66 and my CLK plates were HAS BNZ.
Old 04-14-14, 04:49 AM
sc00b
Pole Position

the CLA looks like a jellybean. go lexus
Old 04-14-14, 12:54 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Umm.. come on, that's why there was a smiley behind it.
And I also said more than that. But I guess you missed that like I missed point behind the smiley.
Old 04-14-14, 01:16 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

MBTC,

Have you read the buyers' remorse in CLA forum? Seems like tons of them are having issues with engine check, panoramic roof, transmission, collission prevention assist, etc. Its like pages and pages of people complaining. Check it out and don't join their club.
Old 04-14-14, 08:32 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder why it gets such rave reviews? Maybe I should wait for the redesign of the C class coming this fall.
i'd definitely wait for the new C Class. The CLA doesn't even compare to the new C class, or even current generation C Class for that matter. Not a fan of the interior of the CLA, quality-wise and size-wise, but the 3IS interior doesn't impress me either. I don't know what review said the CLA has a bigger interior than the current C, but I highly doubt that is true.
Old 04-14-14, 08:34 PM
Renaeis250
Rookie

I looked at the CLA before i got the my IS. The CLA is very tight " not much room ".
Old 04-15-14, 08:58 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the new C-Class that looks like a compact S-Class if you want to go Mercedes.
Old 04-15-14, 12:18 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes = Plastic Interior + Reliability + Price = Nightmare.

Quick Reply: Considering 3IS versus Benz CLA coupe