IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I am confused 3rd gen Drive Train ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 02:18 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you every one about the knowledges on the transmission. So only the evolution MR does have dual clutch and 4 doors.
Old 02-27-14, 07:34 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Direct shift is still a single clutch auto transmission whereas a DCT has two clutches and is still a manual automated transmission so there isn't a clutch pedal. Two different things. And it shows too when you drive it.

He's probably talking about dct at slow speeds being quirky and jittery. A friend of mine with a GTR said that too. But that to me is a small price to pay vs. the benefits of instant shifts and downshifts, and we all know that the IS sucks at downshifting (8th to 4th in about 5 seconds...)

And more on topic, i've driven the regular 6 speed IS 250 and I can say that there isn't much difference between the 8 speed and that as far as shift times and overall feel. The standard 6 speed shifts really fast, nothing like the previous gen. So no one should feel like they're missing out on anything here.
I'm not sure if the transmission in the 3is behaves the same, but we can downshift in the isf pretty quickly. If we are cruising in sport manual mode in 8th gear for example, we move the gear shift right and pull the down paddle shift. That'll drop you to 4th or 3rd gear almost instantly. Then we move the gear left again. It's one more step than a dct but it's pretty easy to do.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Direct shift means the lockup torque converter is locked from 2- 8 gears in manual mode. So the slippage from gear to gear does not happen since the torque converter is locked (torque converter is what really gives automatics the "smooth" feel as it glides from gear to gear)..

This lockup gives the shift a crisp feel with a brief pause between the shifts making it feel like a manual transmission.

Only the Lexus LFA has an automated (robotized) manual transmission in the Lexus line up.
This is mostly right except the part about the pause and the making it feel like a manual transmission.
Old 02-27-14, 07:50 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Thank you every one about the knowledges on the transmission. So only the evolution MR does have dual clutch and 4 doors.
There is the M3 sedan, Audi S4, Merc CLA, and a bunch of others.

Last edited by IS350S2K; 02-27-14 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-27-14, 08:00 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
There is the M3 sedan, Audi S4, Merc CLA, and a bunch of others.
I see I am a lone fish in the sea.....still trying to explore my options. But those mentioned above....is well beyond a set pocket for a DD

Thanks for the extra info
Old 02-27-14, 08:19 AM
hades281
Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
What quirks are you referring to?
There are several DCTs on the market now, each of them with a different "personality." For example, most people hate the DCT in the Focus because it's generally clunky and never in the right gear. VW / Audi DSG requires expensive fluid changes and has had it's own problems. BMW SMG... terrible; I dont know how the new one is.

I dont think this car is "raw" enough to really require the DCT... The DCT in most of these cars is more about marketing than it is about actually performance benefits.
Old 02-27-14, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
There are several DCTs on the market now, each of them with a different "personality." For example, most people hate the DCT in the Focus because it's generally clunky and never in the right gear. VW / Audi DSG requires expensive fluid changes and has had it's own problems. BMW SMG... terrible; I dont know how the new one is.

I dont think this car is "raw" enough to really require the DCT... The DCT in most of these cars is more about marketing than it is about actually performance benefits.
the smg isn't even a dct, it's a single clutch system. the dct is far superior and smoother. BUT i am not saying it's good, it still got its own problems
Old 02-27-14, 11:10 AM
hades281
Driver

Forgot that about the SMG, but my comments were generally toward non-conventional (non torque-converter) automatic transmissions. I understand chasing this idea for the M5, M3 or IS-F but 200 and 300 hp cars don't require it.
Old 02-27-14, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
Forgot that about the SMG, but my comments were generally toward non-conventional (non torque-converter) automatic transmissions. I understand chasing this idea for the M5, M3 or IS-F but 200 and 300 hp cars don't require it.
i personally agree as well. even when they put dct in the 335 (i think it's a specific package) i didn't think it's really that necessary
Old 02-27-14, 02:39 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I'm not sure if the transmission in the 3is behaves the same, but we can downshift in the isf pretty quickly. If we are cruising in sport manual mode in 8th gear for example, we move the gear shift right and pull the down paddle shift. That'll drop you to 4th or 3rd gear almost instantly. Then we move the gear left again. It's one more step than a dct but it's pretty easy to do.

This is mostly right except the part about the pause and the making it feel like a manual transmission.
The new IS does the same if you throw it back into auto, punch it, then back into manual. It drops to 6th first, then to 4th, all within 1.5 seconds but not right away into 4th. Not sure what you mean by pulling the paddle in auto. That takes forever. Could you elaborate on that please? What's the difference if you do that in manual mode? Mine, in manual mode, if you drop it from 8th to 4th quickly, it'll take forever to go thru all the gears. First it drops to 6th, then there is a slight delay, then to 5th, delay, then finally to 4th. By then you're already over it. it's quite pathetic to watch...In auto (D) mode that happens quickly and it skips 5th, which I don't get at all. I drove an ISF yesterday for the third time and was really impressed with it (again). The tranny is just like in the IS, but it just feels quicker when it shifts. The downshift from 2nd to 1st is the jerkiest i've ever seen, with no rev matching at all. It actually throws you forward. But the sound and torque...The startup alone made me question my choice of car. Also the downshifts are much nicer. It's almost like DCT, drops gears nearly instantly with perfect rev matching, there is no hesitation. I was actually a bit depressed when I got out, thinking my IS will never be as sharp. That's right up to the point I got back into mine and it just felt great. I realized right away that I needed to do two things: stop spending so much time in eco mode; get a new exhaust. Then it has a chance to be as pleasing as the ISF. A stock IS sounds like a speaker box inside of 10 carton boxes. Way too civil.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 02-27-14 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 11:02 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The difference is that in sport manual mode the transmission downshifts gear by gear when you pull the downshift paddle. In sport auto mode the transmission skips gears when you pull the downshift paddle. At least that's how it works in the isf.
Old 02-28-14, 12:05 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Direct shift is still a single clutch auto transmission whereas a DCT has two clutches and is still a manual automated transmission so there isn't a clutch pedal. Two different things. And it shows too when you drive it.

He's probably talking about dct at slow speeds being quirky and jittery. A friend of mine with a GTR said that too. But that to me is a small price to pay vs. the benefits of instant shifts and downshifts, and we all know that the IS sucks at downshifting (8th to 4th in about 5 seconds...)

And more on topic, i've driven the regular 6 speed IS 250 and I can say that there isn't much difference between the 8 speed and that as far as shift times and overall feel. The standard 6 speed shifts really fast, nothing like the previous gen. So no one should feel like they're missing out on anything here.
I agree. I have both transmissions and in my experience the 8 speed is smoother and the 6 speed feels more aggressive in sport +. As for their shift times they both shift very quickly and neither is noticeably faster than the other.
Old 02-28-14, 12:27 AM
nayuta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
...6 speed feels more aggressive in sport +...
There is no sport + mode for the 6 speed transmission.

Also Lexus markets their 8 speed DIRECT SHIFT transmission as one of its best designs ever, even if you can't feel the shift differences between the two transmissions.
Old 02-28-14, 06:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by nayuta
There is no sport + mode for the 6 speed transmission.

Also Lexus markets their 8 speed DIRECT SHIFT transmission as one of its best designs ever, even if you can't feel the shift differences between the two transmissions.
This is not correct. The 350 AWD F Sport does indeed have Sport +. The difference between Sport and Sport + is the AVS settings, and nothing to do with the transmission.
Old 02-28-14, 08:41 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is not correct. The 350 AWD F Sport does indeed have Sport +. The difference between Sport and Sport + is the AVS settings, and nothing to do with the transmission.
That is correct, the F sport I test drove did have Sport and Sport +
Old 02-28-14, 12:35 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is correct.
I don't buy it. ZF uses the same 8 speed in both RWD and FWD configurations.

Quick Reply: I am confused 3rd gen Drive Train ?