IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help to prevent Fsport rims being stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 08:03 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Help to prevent Fsport rims being stolen

hey guys so my new 350 fsport is treating me very well and im loving driving it even though the weather here In ny and the northeast in general sucks. anyway pulling out of my driveway this morning on my way to school I noticed the rims of my neighbors new Honda accord sport were stolen and the car was sitting on a milk crate literally 5 houses away .... I have no idea if she had wheel locks or not, but this is the second time this has happened on my block. The last time it was another neighbors Toyota venza literally across the street from me. My IS does have wheel locks but, it is a bit worrisome since this happened so close to home. I hear the wheel locks can be easily bypassed by hammering on a socket wrench. I was wondering of anyone knew about any other sets of wheel locks I can use, I've heard of people using completely different wheel locks along with the factory ones. I once saw a car with circular wheel locks that were very different than anything I've seen before. any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I live in a pretty good neighborhood so its a little unsettling that this happened twice, and knowing my IS is sitting in the front of my driveway since the rest of it is filled with snow doesn't help either. The chances of this happening are slim, but prevention is better than cure. Thanks for any responses guys.
Old 02-11-14, 08:11 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A member here purchased 5 sets of security locks... that might work?
Old 02-11-14, 08:53 AM
2014IS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get an additional alarm installed with a tilt sensor and a two way pager system. Also, I would put additional wheel locks on the wheels. Follow my post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-you-done.html

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-11-14, 10:20 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

get something like kics
Old 02-11-14, 11:22 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put on another set of locks. Each time they hammer a socket they need a new one. But they could bring 8 sockets. Maybe put on 3 or more sets.
Old 02-11-14, 03:10 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get another set of locks! The reason is locks are meant to be tightened less than standard lug nuts because you don't want to grind and ruin the teeth on your locks when you take the wheels off. In fact you're supposed to re-tighten your locks each couple of hundreds of mi/km (lug nuts too, but locks are to be tightened much more frequently). All this is written in the box/packaging of locks.
This means that driving the car with 2 or more locks on each wheel could be potentially dangerous because you won't have the full tightness of standard lug nuts attaching your wheels to the car.
Old 04-08-14, 06:43 AM
braandon19
Driver School Candidate

put sentry guns around your car
Old 04-08-14, 07:56 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014IS250
I would get an additional alarm installed with a tilt sensor and a two way pager system. Also, I would put additional wheel locks on the wheels. Follow my post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-you-done.html

PM me if you have any questions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ do this plus a backup battery hidden somewhere in the trunk.