IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Car Prep and Clear Bra quote

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 05:17 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Car Prep and Clear Bra quote

OK, I'm trying to line up a new car prep and clear bra install when my car arrives hopefully in a month or so. I was going to do the new car prep/OC2 myself and have a 3M ultrashield clear bra install done for $600... but I've heard the advantages of OC Pro and I found a detailer an hour away in Richmond, VA that has 5 years experience (so they claim) with OC Pro and can also do an Xpel Ultimate clear bra which I frankly prefer base on what I've read. Anyway, here is what they gave me:

New car prep - $695 (hand wash, iron X, clay, polish OC Pro... excessive paint correction is more)

Xpel Clear bra - $725 (front bumper, midway fenders, midway hood, side mirrors)

or

Xpel Clear bra - $1400 (full hood, fenders, front bumper and side mirrors)

They also said they would OC wheels or glass at no extra cost. Not really sure which one would be better, but I'm leaning towards the glass since I will probably upgrade the wheels.

So, are these prices decent?

Thanks
Old 01-28-14, 06:46 PM
hangandrew
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know too much about clear bras and all that stuff, but I'm planning on getting it for my car soon. Honestly, in my personal opinion, I think you should just get it for your front bumper. You're not gonna get rock chips on the sides and all (well maybe, but not like the front). But of course it's better to have all the others as well, but idk. lol. That's what I'm gonna do on my 3is!
Old 01-28-14, 07:43 PM
AeroEngi
Driver School Candidate

Why is it so expensive?
Old 01-28-14, 09:26 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That $1400 price for Xpel is the exact price quote I got and it looks good!
Old 01-28-14, 11:05 PM
PuPpYpWr
Driver School Candidate

xpel is the way to go I have it on mine as we speak
Old 01-29-14, 06:43 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hangandrew
I don't know too much about clear bras and all that stuff, but I'm planning on getting it for my car soon. Honestly, in my personal opinion, I think you should just get it for your front bumper. You're not gonna get rock chips on the sides and all (well maybe, but not like the front). But of course it's better to have all the others as well, but idk. lol. That's what I'm gonna do on my 3is!
I regret to this day not getting it on my current car (Acura TL). The bumper, halfway up the hood and front fenders are all ate up with rock chips, etc. Never again. You should at least get it on these areas or you too will regret it if you keep the car for longer than a few years.
Old 01-29-14, 06:46 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AeroEngi
Why is it so expensive?
Good question, though I've seen similar quotes for the Xpel from other CL members. The problem around here is that there are only a handful of OC detailers and Xpel clear bra installers in the area so very little competition to drop prices.
Old 01-29-14, 07:23 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazych42
OK, I'm trying to line up a new car prep and clear bra install when my car arrives hopefully in a month or so. I was going to do the new car prep/OC2 myself and have a 3M ultrashield clear bra install done for $600... but I've heard the advantages of OC Pro and I found a detailer an hour away in Richmond, VA that has 5 years experience (so they claim) with OC Pro and can also do an Xpel Ultimate clear bra which I frankly prefer base on what I've read. Anyway, here is what they gave me:

New car prep - $695 (hand wash, iron X, clay, polish OC Pro... excessive paint correction is more)

Xpel Clear bra - $725 (front bumper, midway fenders, midway hood, side mirrors)

or

Xpel Clear bra - $1400 (full hood, fenders, front bumper and side mirrors)

They also said they would OC wheels or glass at no extra cost. Not really sure which one would be better, but I'm leaning towards the glass since I will probably upgrade the wheels.

So, are these prices decent?

Thanks
I called around the northern va area and i got a quote of $1500. it's pricy but you can't ever expect to pay anything low budget for quality. work a deal with the guy, tell him you'll spread word of his excellent work around. tell ppl to say your name when they go to him for business, and for every new customer you refer, have the installer give you back $50, or $100, or maybe discounted/free future installs. let me know how it goes and if his install is good.
Old 01-29-14, 08:33 AM
phungy
Driver

Here are some quotes I got from various dealers in TX:
1) $6000 + tax to Xpel the entire car. 10 yr warranty (ForceField & SpeedShield)
2) $1000 + tax to Xpel full hood, fender, side mirrors (ForceField)
3) $1500 to Xpel full hood, fender, side mirrors (SpeedShield)
4) $395 to Xpel each door only (Norm Invisibra)
5) $335 to Xpel full front bumper (ForceField)
6) $275 to Xpel rocker panels (ForceField)
7) $175 to Xpel A-pillars + Roof (ForceField)

I didn't go with any of these dealers. I was able to get Lexus to throw in the full PPF (full front bumper, half hood, fenders, side mirrors) and installed. Granted it's not Xpel but they said a warranty against yellowing and bubbling.

As for Opti-Coat, I got these 2 quotes:
1) $400 for wash, claybar, 1-step polish, rewash, opti-guard pro on all paint + wheels, opti-glass
2) $600 for opti-coat (paint correction extra)
Old 01-29-14, 08:43 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
I called around the northern va area and i got a quote of $1500. it's pricy but you can't ever expect to pay anything low budget for quality. work a deal with the guy, tell him you'll spread word of his excellent work around. tell ppl to say your name when they go to him for business, and for every new customer you refer, have the installer give you back $50, or $100, or maybe discounted/free future installs. let me know how it goes and if his install is good.

Good tip, I may try the referral approach!

Was the $1500 for the clear bra only?
Old 01-29-14, 09:33 AM
PuPpYpWr
Driver School Candidate

i got my bumper, 18" hood, roof pillar, door handles, headlights, and the rear cargo area for $750 at my local installer originally quote me 900.
Old 12-03-14, 08:33 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Hey guys,

How is everyone getting their Xpel clear bra done? The Austin Xpel office says they don't even have a template yet for the 2015 IS 350 F-Sport and to call back in a week or two. I'm really desperate to get this done since blemishes on UW really stand out.

Link: http://locator.xpel.com/clearbra_ins...s/Texas/Austin (official Xpel Austin office)
Old 12-03-14, 10:20 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroEngi
Why is it so expensive?
It's expensive because installation is a pain in the ***. It can be a nightmare. My husband and I have installed paint protection film on 2 of our vehicles in the past and there is no way we'd touch the front bumper of my 3IS.

I happily paid to have it installed.
Old 12-03-14, 11:20 AM
Thetalk
Driver School Candidate

I had a clear bra installed right away on my 15 is350 F sport. The installer I picked prefers Suntek film over expel but offered to use either for the same price. I went with the Suntek because he said they are better to deal with if there is a warranty issue in the future. Both have self healing properties. He described the expel material as more like paper when it comes to cutting as it can tear when being cut. The Suntek is easier to work with as it cuts more like plastic and therefore easier to work with.

He strongly suggests not using 3M saying it is far behind the other 2 as far as clarity and life span. He also said they had many issues dealing with warranties in the past with 3M.

I had the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, side view mirrors, headlights and led lights done for $1200. They did a great job. It's a no brainier for me that this protection is well worth the money. I hate rock chips on my paint, and now I don't have to worry about them. I've got only 1800 miles on my IS but the bra has saved my paint many chips already. Construction on near by freeway has trucks pulling out on fast lane from the dirt and rocks fly up from cars 10 car lengths ahead. It's a nightmare.

I was able to knock $200 off their initial estimate by offering to pay cash. You may also offer to write a glowing Yelp review upon satisfactory install.
Old 12-03-14, 11:48 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey TheTalk,
Do you happen to live in Orange County area?
I got a quote from my local shop, and they are charging $1700 for full hood, fender, side mirrors, headlight, LED lights for $1700 (Xpel Ultimate), and I think that's too much....

Quick Reply: New Car Prep and Clear Bra quote