New Car Prep and Clear Bra quote

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 12:14 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
Hey TheTalk,
Do you happen to live in Orange County area?
I got a quote from my local shop, and they are charging $1700 for full hood, fender, side mirrors, headlight, LED lights for $1700 (Xpel Ultimate), and I think that's too much....
This is too much. I know one good shop in Fremont, CA. They did mine (bumper, half hood and half fenders, side mirrors and the trunk (lower part) for $700. And yes they used Xpel Ultimate. Awesome quality and the owner is a cool guy who is always willing to help you out. If anyone is interested pm me.
Old 12-03-14, 12:17 PM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Does Xpel offer clear bra for 2015 IS 350 F-Sports? Their Austin office says they don't have a template available. How is everyone else getting theirs done? (custom made templates or something?)
Old 12-03-14, 12:23 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
Does Xpel offer clear bra for 2015 IS 350 F-Sports? Their Austin office says they don't have a template available. How is everyone else getting theirs done? (custom made templates or something?)
I think the shop will measure and cut everything. My shop did not work with a template. I am not 100% sure though.
Old 12-03-14, 01:11 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, How is everyone getting their Xpel clear bra done? The Austin Xpel office says they don't even have a template yet for the 2015 IS 350 F-Sport and to call back in a week or two. I'm really desperate to get this done since blemishes on UW really stand out. Link: http://locator.xpel.com/clearbra_ins...s/Texas/Austin (official Xpel Austin office)
Ask them to look for templates for 2014 IS as they are the same as 2015. http://www.xpel.com/products/paint_p...98&series=1523 Whoever told you the templates are not available for 2015 IS did not do his/her homework. The Xpel site simply hasn't updated the template section for 2015 IS sedan yet. Do the installation as early as possible as the front of the IS is desperate for protection. This is also true for the RC and NX. Surprised to realize a portion of the bumper (middle bottom section) of RC is actually silver plastic. It will get stone chips in no time.

Last edited by AndyL; 12-03-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 01:34 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
This is too much. I know one good shop in Fremont, CA. They did mine (bumper, half hood and half fenders, side mirrors and the trunk (lower part) for $700. And yes they used Xpel Ultimate. Awesome quality and the owner is a cool guy who is always willing to help you out. If anyone is interested pm me.
haha I wish I live anywhere near Fremont...
Do you know any SoCal shops?
Old 12-03-14, 01:53 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

haha I wish I live anywhere near Fremont...
Do you know any SoCal shops?
Sorry, I don't. Other than Universal Studios and Disney Land I don't know anything else in SoCal.
Old 12-03-14, 02:16 PM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Hey guys!

Just got off the phone with Xpel's Austin corporate office. They offered the following prices... does anyone know if these guys are usually are open to negotiating?

Bumper: $460
Full fenders hood: $1,070
Partial kit (23 inches of hood, same line for fenders around the top of the arch): $472

So if I wanted to do the bumper + full fenders & hood total would be $1,530. Partial hood and fender + full bumper would be $932.

Last edited by FrOHiKE; 12-03-14 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 03:20 PM
Thetalk
Driver School Candidate

Hey TheTalk,
Do you happen to live in Orange County area?
I got a quote from my local shop, and they are charging $1700 for full hood, fender, side mirrors, headlight, LED lights for $1700 (Xpel Ultimate), and I think that's too much....

I had it done at a shop in Thousand Oaks. It's off the 101 near the LA Ventura county border. I'd drive 90 minutes to save $500 myself. Although it does take the better part of a full day to install.
Old 12-03-14, 03:48 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys!

Just got off the phone with Xpel's Austin corporate office. They offered the following prices... does anyone know if these guys are usually are open to negotiating?

Bumper: $460
Full fenders hood: $1,070
Partial kit (23 inches of hood, same line for fenders around the top of the arch): $472

So if I wanted to do the bumper + full fenders & hood total would be $1,530. Partial hood and fender + full bumper would be $932.
Not sure if you could negotiate but you could probably ask them to include some extra coverage for free which is reasonable such as

Front emblem
L-shaped running lights

The above pieces would not cost much labor as well as extra material to install as they are extremely straight forward and they could be "included" as part of the templates for the bumper.

Ask them to look for the above templates from Proform Design kits. The front emblem is from the Proform bumper kit for IS. The L-shaped running lights are from Proform Design headlight kit. Ask them to use the same Xpel Ultimate for the lights.

If your IS is equipped with radar cruise control and PCS where there is a sensor behind the front emblem, the Xpel Ultimate film would not interfere as I have done mine and things are working properly despite there is a warning in the driver's manual not to obstruct the front emblem.

Last edited by AndyL; 12-03-14 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 08:44 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Thanks Andy!!
Old 12-04-14, 07:28 PM
14blk250a
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazych42
OK, I'm trying to line up a new car prep and clear bra install when my car arrives hopefully in a month or so. I was going to do the new car prep/OC2 myself and have a 3M ultrashield clear bra install done for $600... but I've heard the advantages of OC Pro and I found a detailer an hour away in Richmond, VA that has 5 years experience (so they claim) with OC Pro and can also do an Xpel Ultimate clear bra which I frankly prefer base on what I've read. Anyway, here is what they gave me:

New car prep - $695 (hand wash, iron X, clay, polish OC Pro... excessive paint correction is more)

Xpel Clear bra - $725 (front bumper, midway fenders, midway hood, side mirrors)

or

Xpel Clear bra - $1400 (full hood, fenders, front bumper and side mirrors)

They also said they would OC wheels or glass at no extra cost. Not really sure which one would be better, but I'm leaning towards the glass since I will probably upgrade the wheels.

So, are these prices decent?

Thanks
I'm not in your area but my Lexus dealer does the "new car prep" for free. You'd think they would. I also got the 3M clear bra for $550. I got the entire front end done & up the fenders - including 1/3 of the way up the hood. The dealer threw in 3M door edge/chip guard, mirrors, rocker panels, door cups, and in places near the rocker panels that dirt/rocks hit.
Old 12-05-14, 08:52 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

How well does 3M compare to Xpel? They seem a lot cheaper in price...
Old 12-05-14, 09:47 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

How well does 3M compare to Xpel? They seem a lot cheaper in price...
The end result depends on a few things -- material, quality of installation which is related to the experience and skills of the installer as well as the quality of the templates/pre-cut kits.

If you just compare the material only, Xpel Ultimate which has self-healing is better than the regular 3M. However, 3M has just recently launched a new product or a new series (called 3M Pro Series) and you have to check with the installers who carry that and the Xpel Ultimate to compare. Also installers have film preference as the techniques and issues could be brand dependent.
Old 12-21-14, 03:31 PM
3ivato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality work = $$$$
Old 01-12-15, 11:12 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Ending up getting the price down to $450 for full bumper + headlights and DRLs at Xpel corporate in San Antonio, TX. Very happy with the results!

Quick Reply: New Car Prep and Clear Bra quote