IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Blackvue installed on your 3IS, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 04:22 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blackvue installed on your 3IS, anyone?

Does anyone here have a Blackvue camera installed on your 3IS? I'm planning to get one, and I want to find out how to power the device without having the wire dangling.
Old 12-09-13, 04:35 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Does anyone here have a Blackvue camera installed on your 3IS? I'm planning to get one, and I want to find out how to power the device without having the wire dangling.
I have the Dr500GW in each of my 3 vehicles, hookup is easy, just run the wire along the headliner and down the pillar to the dash and into the fuse box.
I recommend you get the power magic box that goes with it so it will record while parked but not run the battery down.
its a little extra wiring but well worth it if you ever have a hit and run parking lot incident.
I also try to park the car in the space backwards so in case someone does hit the car it will be on video.
Old 12-09-13, 04:48 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
I have the Dr500GW in each of my 3 vehicles, hookup is easy, just run the wire along the headliner and down the pillar to the dash and into the fuse box.
I recommend you get the power magic box that goes with it so it will record while parked but not run the battery down.
its a little extra wiring but well worth it if you ever have a hit and run parking lot incident.
I also try to park the car in the space backwards so in case someone does hit the car it will be on video.
Would you mind posting some pics on how you ran the wire on your 3IS? Since I don't know how the fuse stuff works, I'm not sure if I want to buy the power magic box. Did you ever worry that someone will break your windshield and steal the camera?

Last edited by doctorttt; 12-09-13 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 04:56 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Would you mind posting some pics of how you ran the wire on your 3IS? Since I don't know how the fuse stuff works, I'm not sure if I want to buy the power magic box. Did you ever worry that someone will break your windshield and steal the camera?
no because i keep the camera installed high up on the W/S behind the matrix, you can only see the camera and in the setup i turned off all the exterior LEDS when its in parking mode. so it stays dark and doesn't attract attention.
i do not have the 3IS yet supposed to be here any day but i have it installed on the 2013 GS we have but my wife has the car at the moment.
your way over thinking this..
just get the camera, stick it on the windshield (i used the wifi connection to my iPhone and viewed the live image to make sure i was happy with the alignment)
then stuff the cord up under the headliner and along the W/S down the pillar.
i just removed 1 fuse that was powered all the time, and another that was powered with ignition and grounded the black wire. simple really.
i tucked the wires inside the fuse box and stuffed the fuse on top of the wire pinching it in.
maybe when my IS arrives ill put up a DIY with pics.
Old 12-09-13, 05:01 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please please please DIY this!!!
Old 12-09-13, 05:49 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

I just checked my car, and yes, there are plenty of places to hide the wire. I'm now going to order BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD without Power Magic Pro. If I later believe it's necessary to have the camera on while the car is parked, then I will just go order the Power Magic piece. I will post DIY pics as soon as I get the Blackvue.
Old 12-09-13, 07:12 PM
Oxytocin
Driver

I'm interested in a DIY too from someone with experience. I've looked and its not hard to do the headliner and side A pillar part, but the wrap around to go from headliner to A pillar looks difficult without needing to remove the air bag thing. The gap seems really tight to push any wires in.

I'd also like to know how to wire to the fuse box with the magic box.
Old 12-12-13, 05:44 AM
felixlau
Pole Position

Just sharing the camera installed in my car...
I think the wiring is quite near
Attached Thumbnails Blackvue installed on your 3IS, anyone?-image.jpg  
Old 12-12-13, 06:28 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

what type of camera is that?

also i realized the other day that i need to get the top of the W/S tinted because the camera sticks out like a sore thumb!
i don't want to attract any attention to it from thieves.

so today ill be getting that area tinted and once it dries sufficiently ill mount the camera.
i think mine will be looking out just to the drivers side of the dot matrix. you don't need to have the camera exactly in the middle of the window. a few inches to 1 side to take advantage of hiding it under those dots will make it less likely to be seen.
Old 12-12-13, 06:42 AM
felixlau
Pole Position

The name is Greencam.
Not branded, basically brand less from Korea.
Works fine though.
Agree with your idea of hiding the cam.
But in Singapore, we kind of "show" the cam so that people don't mess with the car.
Silly but true ....... lol

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?...&product=60986