IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 08:17 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by The350Girl
i have 2014 IS350, so the effected IS model for this Battery Drained issue is the one with BSM equipped ? how and why ?
From post #636 in this thread (holy crap, 636 posts!!! wow!):

So a little more info on this...the effected IS's must either have Blind Spot Monitor or Clearance Warning Sonar (or both) in order to be equipped with the Network Gateway ECU that causes this.
Dojoman is correct as there is an even newer ECU available. But if you have neither of these options, then the ECU is not causing your dead battery...which really isn't comforting either.
Old 07-01-17, 09:55 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

got my car back this time, they did not replace the ECU.
Old 07-02-17, 12:09 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nonopeno
"I need to drive my car on the highway everyday, or else this battery drainage issue will continue".
I can't believe a dealer could make such a stupid remark.
I recently started my 2016 IS350 (with BSM) after 7 weeks of inactivity due to an extended trip abroad - the car fired up with no problem.
Old 07-02-17, 01:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
I can't believe a dealer could make such a stupid remark.
I recently started my 2016 IS350 (with BSM) after 7 weeks of inactivity due to an extended trip abroad - the car fired up with no problem.
Well they completely fixed something in the 2015s and newer. If I were getting the runaround from my dealer, it would be my last Lexus I purchased.
Old 07-02-17, 05:07 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well they completely fixed something in the 2015s and newer.
Well, there were at at least some here who insisted the problem never got fixed...
Old 07-26-17, 08:06 AM
Driverseat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone replaced their battery with a OPTIMA YELLOW TOP? If so, what is the part number for the one you have?
I have a few auxiliaries which has lead me to believe is the reason for my dead battery...
Old 08-02-17, 06:18 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had the problem return after getting a new Gateway ECU and battery replaced by Lexus?
Old 08-02-17, 09:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

My car has BSM, but is 2016. Never any issues at all. So if this helps anyone--probably means Lexus did change something for 15+ MYs w/ BSM.
Old 08-02-17, 09:14 AM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Has anyone had the problem return after getting a new Gateway ECU and battery replaced by Lexus?
Mine was replaced ~12 months ago. I have had zero starting issues since replacement.
Old 08-02-17, 09:59 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
My car has BSM, but is 2016. Never any issues at all. So if this helps anyone--probably means Lexus did change something for 15+ MYs w/ BSM.
My 2014 also has BSM - never had battery issues (still have original battery) - it seems to be totally random. It also seems that they did figure what the issue was and made adjustments for 2015+.
Old 08-02-17, 10:11 AM
MoabFJ
Driver School Candidate

I have BSM and have had the battery issue with my 2014 IS350 F Sport.
After reading about it, I decided to change out the battery for a more powerful Interstate AGM battery. I can leave the car parked for weeks now and it starts right up every time. The extra capacity may be hiding the problem with the ECU, but it's a non-issue as far as every day operation now.
Old 08-02-17, 11:34 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
doodlebug, do you have bluetooth activated in your car?
At all times. However, I only use it for calls and texts, I never bluetooth music and never have (if that matters).
Old 08-02-17, 08:46 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
For Canadians, the American TSB for the Gateway ECU didn't apply to us despite having a VIN within the listed range (which I think is dumb), but I learned there's a TSB recently released for certain Canadian models now. I'm going to see if mine is included in the next service.
Old 08-03-17, 07:04 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
For Canadians, the American TSB for the Gateway ECU didn't apply to us despite having a VIN within the listed range (which I think is dumb), but I learned there's a TSB recently released for certain Canadian models now. I'm going to see if mine is included in the next service.
The TSB applies to ALL vehicles within the VIN range in North America. It's true that US and Canada will launch the TSB's independently because certain information needs to be changed for the specific region.
I.E. Miles is changed to Kilometers for the warranty period reference, the TSB number...and honestly that is usually the only changes.
The TSB calls for the vehicle to either have Sonar or BSM, or both, so that kinda leaves a lot of the Canadian vehicles out of the TSB because how many people bought the vehicle with either of those options.
Because the US has a wider variety of models available in the IS line-up, therefore there is a greater chance of running across a vehicle with either Sonar or BSM.
Old 08-09-17, 12:39 PM
gallo24
Driver School Candidate

Default My Experience with the Network Gateway

I just wanted to share my ongoing experience:

I took my 2014 IS250 F Sport with BSM into the Dealership in SoCal and they told me they narrowed down the battery drain to the Network Gateway ECU.

Since I have 65K miles, the dealer told me this part is not covered under my 50k Bumper to Bumper Warranty. They quoted me $8XX (Part + Labor).

With the help of this AWESOME forum, it seems like this issue is happening to other owners. Seems like this NG ECU is a defect and should be recalled. I contacted Lexus Customer Satisfaction and started a case with them and was told that a case manager will reach out to me within 2 business days. Updates will come as soon as I find out more information.

*OEM battery was replaced w/ a Lexus Battery 1-2 months ago directly from the dealership. Since the replacement, the car died four times.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)