IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 10:02 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Couldn't do the test today, because Surprise battery is dead. Currently trying to get it towed to a toyota dealership.
Old 06-12-17, 11:03 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Couldn't do the test today, because Surprise battery is dead. Currently trying to get it towed to a toyota dealership.
Dude...that has to suck! What's the nearest Toyota dealer? How far out there are you? Holy Cow!

So a little more info on this...the effected IS's must either have Blind Spot Monitor or Clearance Warning Sonar (or both) in order to be equipped with the Network Gateway ECU that causes this.
Dojoman is correct as there is an even newer ECU available. But if you have neither of these options, then the ECU is not causing your dead battery...which really isn't comforting either.
Old 06-12-17, 11:13 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Dude...that has to suck! What's the nearest Toyota dealer? How far out there are you? Holy Cow!

So a little more info on this...the effected IS's must either have Blind Spot Monitor or Clearance Warning Sonar (or both) in order to be equipped with the Network Gateway ECU that causes this.
Dojoman is correct as there is an even newer ECU available. But if you have neither of these options, then the ECU is not causing your dead battery...which really isn't comforting either.
So currently its 100mA, i have disconnected every aftermarket item i have installed... back up camera, remote start, fog lights. Called lexus and they are not ok with me getting it towed to the closest toyota dealer. Nearest lexus dealer is 150km. still unplugging each fuse one at a time... so far nothing in the engine bay of fuses. I asked them if the battery was replaced before, they said it was once in 2015. i have work soon so we'll see where the day leads..
Old 06-12-17, 11:32 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Ok...so if you have a aftermarket Back-up camera then there is no way you have the BSM or Clearance Sonar.
The remote starter scares me a little...those things usually kill batteries when they go south, or just before they are about to stop working.

The TSB mentions to check the draw anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours after the vehicle is shut off.
Given that the battery is dead, you won't be able to do a proper draw test even if you follow all the steps...the battery needs to be full charged (or close to) in order to do the test accurately.
With a 100mA draw, definitely something is on...like a dome light or something.
Old 06-13-17, 07:42 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Battery was tested at Total Battery to be good, put out ~750CCA. Put it on a intelligent charger last night, so its fully charged. Started doing the Parasitic test and it pulled about 90mA with my remote start completely disconnected... but when i pull the J/B LH-B fuse it drops to 5mA. Something to do with the security of the car, because out of reaction i plugged it back in, blew my multi meter fuse and the alarm went off. I'm going to try it again and contact a lexus dealer to see where i can go from here.
Old 06-20-17, 03:47 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Reasonable time to not expect battery to die?

I took my car to Lexus earlier this year to get the ECU replaced. However I didn't drive my car for 6 weeks. The car is dead. Is it unreasonable to think that it the battery should last this long? It's also garaged. Should I bother taking the car into lexus? it's still under warranty

Last edited by evident; 06-20-17 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 03:53 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evident
Reasonable time to not expect battery to die?

I took my car to Lexus earlier this year to get the ECU replaced. However I didn't drive my car for 2.5 months. The car is dead. Is it unreasonable to think that it the battery should last this long? It's also garaged. Should I bother taking the car into lexus? it's still under warranty
Seems reasonable, i also believe the car self shut off at a certain voltage as to not kill the battery. My battery has "died" twice but really it was just at a low enough voltage it wont try to crank the engine. The battery was jumped and was tested great (pulled 750CCA).
Old 06-21-17, 07:23 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Seems reasonable, i also believe the car self shut off at a certain voltage as to not kill the battery. My battery has "died" twice but really it was just at a low enough voltage it wont try to crank the engine. The battery was jumped and was tested great (pulled 750CCA).
I just looked at my previous post about this issue. I got the issue fixed about a month before they issued that July 2016 TSB. and from the looks of it there seems to be a newer part number than before, so hopefully they will fix this issue for good, before my 2014 is out of warranty. Maybe i'll get a new battery out of it as well... just happy that i'm not in a rush right now.

Last edited by evident; 06-21-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 11:04 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Going through this for the 3rd time now. This time, Roadside just sent a AAA flatbed to pick up the car and take it to the nearest dealer (157mi away). The last dealer that looked at it just laughed at me when I mentioned the ECU. He said that its impossible and that my battery is fine. I think that I thought I was nuts actually! He offered to wash the car as a consolation. I just grabbed a bunch of his cookies and left angrily (was the dealer that I bought the thing from too!)

-Matt
Old 06-23-17, 11:10 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ras1325
I was able to jump it and everything else seems ok. I'm taking it in tomorrow to tell them I don't just want it checked and recharged, I want a new battery.
Checked charging system? Often times battery takes blame for something else.If you replace battery try different brand as well. If OEM battery watch the production batch number.
Old 06-29-17, 01:08 PM
Baopee
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bone stock 2014 IS350 F sport with blind spot monitor and cross traffic sensor, I just replaced the battery last Saturday again, and the one before was replaced on AUG 2016 dealer blame the failure on Texas weather. Now I have a jump starter in my trunk just in case.

Last edited by Baopee; 06-29-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 08:52 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Baopee
I have bone stock 2014 IS350 F sport with blind spot monitor and cross traffic sensor, I just replaced the battery last Saturday again, and the one before was replaced on AUG 2016 dealer blame the failure on Texas weather. Now I have a jump starter in my trunk just in case.
Yeah, I just was made to buy a new battery as well. Had to buy a Lexus battery since the car was stuck at the dealer, 157mi from home.

I'll be getting a nice jump starter as well. Tired of this crap from Lexus.
Old 07-01-17, 07:45 AM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke

i have 2014 IS350, so the effected IS model for this Battery Drained issue is the one with BSM equipped ? how and why ?
Old 07-01-17, 09:31 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to share my story:
I have a 2014 IS350 F-Sport AWD (no BSM, no sonar). About 2 years into the ownership, my battery started draining by itself. This is inconsistent - I am unable to find a pattern as to when it drains.

I brought my car to a Toronto dealership and they said I don't drive the car enough, which is true. But they also gave me BS and told me "I need to drive my car on the highway everyday, or else this battery drainage issue will continue". I believe I found CorradoMR2's post in this forum and was able to go to his dealership to get the issue fixed. The dealership mentioned they weren't able to reproduce the issue when they had my car, but that it was a known issue and would have no problems replacing it.
Old 07-01-17, 09:56 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

I'm at a loss as to why some dealers just replace the ECU and others, like mine, throw me to the curb? Surely the dealers that replace the ECU make money off of Lexus, no? What would cause one dealer to just go for it and another not to? I'm incredibly dissatisfied with Lexus. My first Lexus and already looking at other brands.

Quick Reply: 3IS Battery Drain (merged threads)