IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Leased Lexus with MODS???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 09:48 AM
titoman110
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leased Lexus with MODS???

I have a question for you guys. This is my 1st time leasing a car and wanted to know if I change anything major on my car like Intake System or Exhaust System would the dealer have any issues with it when i take it to get it services. I'm planing on staying with the car after my lease is over because i really like that car but in the case i do decide to return it the dealer I will change it back to stock. Anybody know if dealers have an issue with this
Old 07-26-13, 09:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You're fine, you would just have to change it back to stock if you turn it in. The dealer doesn't own the car, Lexus Financial Services owns the car.

If your plan is to stay with the car, why are you leasing? It would be cheaper for you to just buy it upfront.
Old 07-26-13, 10:07 AM
titoman110
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You're fine, you would just have to change it back to stock if you turn it in. The dealer doesn't own the car, Lexus Financial Services owns the car.

If your plan is to stay with the car, why are you leasing? It would be cheaper for you to just buy it upfront.

I'm a 1st time Auto buyer with no huge credit history so it was cheaper for me to lease the car then to finance it that's why. Monthly payments were to high if I were to finance and lease it's pretty low at the end. But I'm planing on buying the car after my lease is over.
Old 07-26-13, 10:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just make sure you return the car back to stock when you turn in the lease
Old 07-26-13, 01:11 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leased mine (needed the business write off) and plan to mod it. I dont plan on keeping mine though when the lease is done. The service department usually doesnt care if its leased or purchased. In fact Im not sure if they can even tell from their system?

Last edited by John510; 07-26-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 01:18 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by titoman110
I'm a 1st time Auto buyer with no huge credit history so it was cheaper for me to lease the car then to finance it that's why. Monthly payments were to high if I were to finance and lease it's pretty low at the end. But I'm planing on buying the car after my lease is over.
Same here i bought plenty cars before, this one i had to lease because my payment was way lower. If i had financed it the payment would be way too high, also planning to keep mine after the lease is up.....
Old 07-26-13, 01:55 PM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Just keep in mind that any modification you do is 100% reversible and you will be fine as long as you revert the car back to OEM condition at lease return. =)
Old 07-26-13, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by juvi22003
Same here i bought plenty cars before, this one i had to lease because my payment was way lower. If i had financed it the payment would be way too high, also planning to keep mine after the lease is up.....
This is the problem. The payment is low because of the high residual. High residual makes the buyout price high...when you factor in the cost of leasing it, buying it at the end and financing it for the number of years you would have to in order to keep the payment somewhere close to the lease payment your cost is more than just buying it upfront despite the higher payments. The only reason to do it the way you've done it is because you need the business write off.

Its none of my business and its not the topic of the thread, but I just hate to see people do things the wrong way.
Old 07-26-13, 03:32 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dont worry ab it. i leased mine knowing i wouldnt even last the length of the lease.

i returned mine (with no trade in) with...
HID kit, tinted windows, lowering springs, vinyled emblems, vinyled eyebrows. etc. etc.

the mechanics have a hay day.
Old 07-27-13, 10:10 AM
bwk
Rookie

I just returned the car to stock on my last lease.. no trouble from the dealer
Old 07-27-13, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
dont worry ab it. i leased mine knowing i wouldnt even last the length of the lease.

i returned mine (with no trade in) with...
HID kit, tinted windows, lowering springs, vinyled emblems, vinyled eyebrows. etc. etc.

the mechanics have a hay day.
If you returned the car before the end of the lease, it was a trade-in not a true lease return. Thats a different story. If you actually turn it back in at the end of the lease LFS will definitely charge you to bring it back to stock if you don't beforehand.
Old 07-28-13, 02:18 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you returned the car before the end of the lease, it was a trade-in not a true lease return. Thats a different story. If you actually turn it back in at the end of the lease LFS will definitely charge you to bring it back to stock if you don't beforehand.
if true, then the advice should be to return prior to the end of the lease, yah?
Old 07-28-13, 06:48 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Ok people, you never ever ever return a lease at the end... always trade it in before then end so like it was said, you are not "returning" it you are "trading" it in. This way they don't look at any modifications, any inperfections or even the miles... well, they look at it but for the appraisal of the car not for the lease purposes.
Old 07-28-13, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThermonMer
if true, then the advice should be to return prior to the end of the lease, yah?
You're not returning the car though, you are trading the car in and they are just simply paying off the buyout on the lease. If the car is worth less than the buyout, you're still going to owe money. If its worth more than the buyout and they are just giving you the buyout...you are getting screwed.

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Ok people, you never ever ever return a lease at the end... always trade it in before then end so like it was said, you are not "returning" it you are "trading" it in. This way they don't look at any modifications, any inperfections or even the miles... well, they look at it but for the appraisal of the car not for the lease purposes.
Absolutely, and it may very well be worth more than the buyout at the end, in which case you pocket some cash.
Old 07-29-13, 09:23 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the problem. The payment is low because of the high residual. High residual makes the buyout price high...when you factor in the cost of leasing it, buying it at the end and financing it for the number of years you would have to in order to keep the payment somewhere close to the lease payment your cost is more than just buying it upfront despite the higher payments. The only reason to do it the way you've done it is because you need the business write off.

Its none of my business and its not the topic of the thread, but I just hate to see people do things the wrong way.
Well thanks for your input i say that now but the longest i had a car was 2yrs 3mths and this is my 5th car so might be gone before the lease is up

Quick Reply: Leased Lexus with MODS???