Decision!! AWD or RWD IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 07:56 AM
sl0519
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Decision!! AWD or RWD IS350

Hi guys,
It's time for me to decide whether to get a AWD version or RWD version of IS350. I just moved to the upper part of OH not too long ago and I was wondering if AWD is a necessity for this part of region. I like RWD more for its performance and better mileage but the fact that my region does snow sometimes during winter, AWD should probably be the way to go. If I can recall, the AWD loses the 8 speed transmission + four-piston calipers front brake + adaptive variable suspension right? Is there any noticeble difference of the ride height between RWD & AWD? Please give me some advice.

Something that I notice too, as to why my region sells AWD version only, whereas the west coast (CA) sells all the RWD version? Do they not snow at all??
Old 07-20-13, 09:00 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Winters here can be pretty rough. I had a s2000 before I got my 250 awd. I dont have any trouble gettin through the snow anymore. Though some ppl will claim rwd is just as good as awd w winter tires. Most of those ppl havent even owned both rwd and awd and driven in the winter conditions we get here.
Old 07-20-13, 09:38 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sl0519
Hi guys,
It's time for me to decide whether to get a AWD version or RWD version of IS350. I just moved to the upper part of OH not too long ago and I was wondering if AWD is a necessity for this part of region. I like RWD more for its performance and better mileage but the fact that my region does snow sometimes during winter, AWD should probably be the way to go. If I can recall, the AWD loses the 8 speed transmission + four-piston calipers front brake + adaptive variable suspension right? Is there any noticeble difference of the ride height between RWD & AWD? Please give me some advice.

Something that I notice too, as to why my region sells AWD version only, whereas the west coast (CA) sells all the RWD version? Do they not snow at all??
The AWD F-sport has AVS.

If you drive mostly on flat surfaces, RWD with quality winter tires is fine. If you drive uphill, or if your area is poorly plowed, I would consider AWD.
Old 07-20-13, 09:51 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I would get RWD for the better transmission, and little better gas miles, i used to have 1st gen IS300 with Blizzak winter tyres on, it handle even better than AWD with all season tires in the winter, my car was drop on coils too, and how many snow days in Ohio these days? My guess about 20 days max out of the year? Go RWD my friend
Old 07-20-13, 12:28 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, if you don't need to drive to work on a daily basis, go with RWD.
Old 08-03-13, 02:57 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what does the "Snow" mode in the RWD IS3 do exactly? Does it really help anything at all?
Old 08-03-13, 04:14 AM
RA040224
Driver

From lexus.com.cn:
When moving off in snow conditions or slippery road surfaces, the SNOW mode helps to enhance acceleration and stabilize the vehicle's pickup. In this mode, the power of the vehicle is suitably reduced to prevent wheel spin and achieve better accelerating performance.
Old 08-03-13, 04:47 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SimTide985
So, what does the "Snow" mode in the RWD IS3 do exactly? Does it really help anything at all?
Car starts in 2nd gear plus it goes up to high gears whenever possible and doesn't drop gears when you accelerate. The throttle response is also reduced.
Old 08-03-13, 05:42 AM
07awdis250
Pole Position

go with the AWD you will not regret it
Old 08-03-13, 06:14 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Car starts in 2nd gear plus it goes up to high gears whenever possible and doesn't drop gears when you accelerate. The throttle response is also reduced.
Well I get that. Maybe I should rephrase the question.

I'm talking about, how well does it actually work when we have the discussion going on in this thread about getting AWD versus RWD.

If it was a mode that really put confidence in the driver in snowy conditions, then I would've expected that it would've been mentioned in the decision between AWD and RWD, but it wasn't. So, I'm getting the impression that even with RWD and snow mode, most drivers seem more content with just getting the AWD.

Does anyone here know of how well the Snow mode works with the RWD?
Old 08-03-13, 11:07 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Well I get that. Maybe I should rephrase the question.

I'm talking about, how well does it actually work when we have the discussion going on in this thread about getting AWD versus RWD.

If it was a mode that really put confidence in the driver in snowy conditions, then I would've expected that it would've been mentioned in the decision between AWD and RWD, but it wasn't. So, I'm getting the impression that even with RWD and snow mode, most drivers seem more content with just getting the AWD.

Does anyone here know of how well the Snow mode works with the RWD?
It works great together with proper snow tires. My car is on 18/225 studded snow tires from Nokian in winter and it works fine with non studded winter tire too, unless its pure ice on the road.
Old 08-03-13, 11:26 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
It works great together with proper snow tires. My car is on 18/225 studded snow tires from Nokian in winter and it works fine with non studded winter tire too, unless its pure ice on the road.
How much do those run for?
Old 08-03-13, 12:12 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

If it still have that ridiculous bump behind your feet go with the RWD.
Old 08-03-13, 12:56 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

How much do those run for?
you might have to check with your local tire shop for the accurate price. I have heard that studded tires are restricted in some states in US?
Old 08-03-13, 02:08 PM
RA040224
Driver

I got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 studless winter tires for mine. Nokian is usually in the top three when the scandinavian motor magazines tests winter tires.

Quick Reply: Decision!! AWD or RWD IS350