Car won't start after + battery cable touched ground

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 07:14 PM
wiseguy75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start after + battery cable touched ground

What happened
I was removing the positive battery cable while the car was running and the cable fell over and accidently touched something metal (there was no spark) - then the car died and wouldn't start again.
I played around with wires and stuff and eventually the car started and I just drove home but now it won't start again.

Why I did what I did
I know it was kind of a stupid move but I had one good battery and one dead battery and no jumper cables and needed to get 2 cars home. I have done this before with no problems.
Start the car with the good battery, remove it while the car is running, put the dead battery in the running car - then put the good battery in the other car and now you can drive both cars - until you get overly confident and ground out the positive wire

What I see from testing
When the cables are connected, nothing in the car works - its like the battery is completely dead.
The battery shows 12 volts with both battery cables disconnected.
Once I put the cables back on, I see 6 - 7 volts on the voltmeter.
When I disconnect the battery cables again, the battery shows around 9 - 10 volts and then climbs back up to 12V within a few mins.
From what I see, both positive and ground cables physically look fine

My thoughts
The car eventually started after, so I think that can possibly rule out any blown fuses...

Questions
Can it be the ground cable / strap? I guess that could be easy enough to test for continuity with the voltmeter...?
Is there a fusible link that can be 'hanging on by a thread'?
Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited by wiseguy75; 07-23-21 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 01:05 AM
Dealarr
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wiseguy75
What happened
I was removing the positive battery cable while the car was running and the cable fell over and accidently touched something metal - then the car died and wouldn't start again.
I played around with wires and stuff and eventually the car started and I just drove home but now it won't start again.

Why I did what I did
I know it was kind of a stupid move but I had one good battery and one dead battery and no jumper cables and needed to get 2 cars home. I have done this before with no problems.
Start the car with the good battery, remove it while the car is running, put the dead battery in the running car - then put the good battery in the other car and now you can drive both cars - until you get overly confident and ground out the positive wire

What I see from testing
When the cables are connected, nothing in the car works - its like the battery is completely dead.
When I disconnect the battery cables again, the battery shows around 9 - 10 volts and then climbs back up to 12V within a few mins.

My thoughts
The car eventually started after, so I think that can possibly rule out any blown fuses...

Questions
Can it be the ground cable / strap? I guess that could be easy enough to test for continuity with the voltmeter...?
Should be fried fusilink. Check fuses in fusilink, if one is severed try putting glob of solder over it, or you can replace it.
Old 07-23-21, 08:41 AM
wiseguy75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dealarr
Should be fried fusilink. Check fuses in fusilink, if one is severed try putting glob of solder over it, or you can replace it.
Thanks. I just checked the fusible link looks fine
That would have been an easy fix
Old 07-23-21, 09:23 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery at this point. Get it checked out first.
Old 07-23-21, 10:43 AM
wiseguy75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Sounds like a bad battery at this point. Get it checked out first.
It's not the battery. The battery is showing over 12.3V (when battery cables are disconnected) and it starts another car without hesitation.
Old 07-25-21, 07:31 PM
Dealarr
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wiseguy75
What happened
I was removing the positive battery cable while the car was running and the cable fell over and accidently touched something metal (there was no spark) - then the car died and wouldn't start again.

Why I did what I did

What I see from testing

My thoughts

Questions

Something is fried, causing your voltage to drop because of increased resistance. I know it's a far fatch but take off your accessory belt, and spin your alternator. If it spins freely all good, if it spins with like hesitation or "clunks", not that it will make noise but unsmooth turning of the alternator pulley, its fried.
Old 07-26-21, 07:07 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Likely killed the diodes in the alternator. The fact that it drains the battery when connected is telling you something is shorted within the cars electric system.

To isolate the short one begins by disconnecting items like the alternator and/fuses until the drain goes to zero.