IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad Experience with Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 12:47 PM
LexusLgend
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Bad Experience with Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF

I purchased my Lexus IS350 AWD with 112k miles. Shifting was smooth as butter in normal mode. However, after a couple more thousand miles I put on my IS, upshifts started to get more jerky. Downshift from gear 2 to gear 1 would be delayed with a hesitation and then a slight lurch/bang. Local driving was not fun as the symptoms of delayed downshifts were very discernible. I reset the ECU from time to time to relearn my driving habits, but that did not remedy the problem. The previous owner had not performed a transmission fluid service from records found. Around 117K miles, I decided to change my transmission fluid to see if shifting will get better. repairvehicle on YouTube offers a great tutorial video, which is what I followed.

Items I used for transmission drain and fill:
  • Scangauge II to track transmission fluid temperature for drain and level check
  • Pennzoil universal fluid pump as transmission fill plug is further back versus the fwd Lexus/Toyota models
  • Socket Wrench and breaker bar (those dang rusted drain and check bolts!)
  • Bucket marked with volume values so you know the amount that is draining out
  • 14mm socket, 5mm hex insert socket, 24mm socket
  • Brake cleaner to clean residual transmission fluid on the pan (if you don't clean this, transmission fluid vapors will get into the intake line and waft into your cabin)
  • New transmission check plug and drain bolt with their crush washers (live in the rust belt, old plugs were rusted)
  • QuickJack portable car lift so I can check the fluid on even level and access underside of car easily
  • Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF

See a problem in the above list? Yes, picture perfect except for the Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF as a variable. I was researching on Amazon.com, bobistheoilguy, and even ClubLexus forums to see which transmission fluid is best. There is a lot of user criticism about the factory Toyota WS fluid. Hindsight being 20/20, I was swayed by users saying they used the cheaper Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF fluid that is WS compatible for their Toyota and Lexus cars. I could not find a definitive bad review, except for one user claiming it caused problems on his ES350. I should've doubted Valvoline at that point.

First Drain and Fill - My IS350 AWD drained about 3.7 qrts of transmission fluid. Some users say they get 4 qrts. When filling, I opted to fill 5 qrts. It's my first time, and I ended up draining too much on the check fluid level phase. In repairvehicles video, he mentions you need to start re-inserting the check plug as soon as the stream of transmission fluid starts to sputter. I waited too long during the check drain stage until droplets started to come out of the hole; this under fills about half a quart. Realized this the next day, but had I to go to work. Luckily, local driving the car was okay, albeit with some sluggish shifting.

Second Drain and Fill - Correctly checked the fluid level this time. Drove my vehicle and noticed the shifting was better, but off. Throughout the week the shifting behavior became more erratic. Upshifts were delayed and downshifts hung/lurched abnormally in normal mode. Also, there was a clunking sound and slight lurch whenever I would put the car into drive or reverse. Idling was a bit rough and slight vibrations were felt through the steering wheel. What really scared me one time was when the car downshifted from 2nd gear to 1st and the rpm meter dropped from 1.3k rpm below 500 rpm. That has never happened in my car before, and I decided to put in the Toyota WS transmission fluid.

Aftermath - Ended up going to a local Toyota Dealership to purchase Toyota WS Fluid at $11 per quart. Performed three more drain and fills with Toyota WS Fluid throughout the week after. Guess what? All shifting problems were solved. The idle is quiet, and no more clunks and lurches when putting the car in drive or reverse. The first drain and fill with Toyota WS actually remedied the unwelcome shifting of the Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF. The following drain and fills were to get more of the mixed Maxlife ATF out and for my piece of mind.

Now my IS upshifts and downshifts quick without any jerk; buttery shifts for days! Lesson learned, don't be stupid like me to think the Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF transmission fluid will do the job. Yes, Toyota WS does degrade into a material that looks like used oil, however my IS350 AWD was able to run 112k miles on factory fluid perfectly fine. The cost for transmission fluid was over $240 between the Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF and Toyota WS fluid I used. Fill with the factory recommended transmission fluid to avoid more expensive transmission problems in your future. I'm just happy my Lexus drives as well as it did when I first purchased my vehicle. I hope I was able to help some members make the wise choice for their 2IS transmission fluid change.

Last edited by LexusLgend; 06-11-20 at 07:15 PM. Reason: grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by LexusLgend:
2013FSport (06-10-20), LeX2K (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 12:59 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I was going to go with Max life in the near future. Now I won't since I have a 250 AWD. In my experience so far I've done a drain, and fill about 5 times. I just pour in the amount cold that comes out. Its exactly 4 quarts from those Walmart drain plastic pans.

My first was at the 50k mark. Just a little over 100k now with no issues. Knock on wood for now. Every once in a blue moon. My cousin compliments the smooth shifting. He wishes his Yukon would shift that smooth.
The following users liked this post:
LexusLgend (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 02:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Thank you for the info you provided. My 2010 IS350 Sport is currently a bit over 60K, when I reach about 80K I will change the AT fluid. I currently have 8 gallons of Amsoil Synthetic OE AT Fluid sitting in my garage (I got it cheap), but when I do the Transmission change I will stick with good ol' Toyota WS! It's served me well in multiple Toyota's I've owned, including my 2013 Toyota Sienna that is currently at 145K (I changed the AT fluid at 100K) and my 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 at 150K (changed it at around 100K). Both still have smooth shifting transmissions thanks to Toyota AT fluid.

On another note, Amsoil Synthetic Gear oil works very well for Differentials. I recently changed out my IS350's Diff oil and 10K miles later the drive train is smooth and quiet
LexusLgend (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 03:17 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Did the drain and fill using Amsoil Signature fully synthetic ATF. The car shifts like butter.

The following 2 users liked this post by primavera:
AMIRZA786 (06-10-20), LeX2K (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 04:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primavera
Did the drain and fill using Amsoil Signature fully synthetic ATF. The car shifts like butter.

I have about 8 gallons (bought it by the case) of the OE Fuel Efficient Synthetic ATF which Amsoil says is specifically replaces Toyota WS for the IS350 ( I even confirmed thru email with tech support). So you think I should just go ahead and use it?

Old 06-10-20, 05:20 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I have about 8 gallons (bought it by the case) of the OE Fuel Efficient Synthetic ATF which Amsoil says is specifically replaces Toyota WS for the IS350 ( I even confirmed thru email with tech support). So you think I should just go ahead and use it?

You've bought a LOT of fluid, lol, I think you should use it. You won't need more than 2 gallons to do the exchange.
Old 06-10-20, 05:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primavera
You've bought a LOT of fluid, lol, I think you should use it. You won't need more than 2 gallons to do the exchange.
I had to buy the case to get it cheap! I bought it on Amazon, not from Amsoil

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-10-20 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 08:00 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

OP, thanks for sharing your story. My choice was favoring Amsoil. You have sealed it by your post here. That said, it was Amsoil, WS, then Valvoline.
Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

I've used their gear oil throughout the years and the sport bike loves a crankcase full so, I would give it a yes vote based on other Toyota reviews.

Off topic and it means little in this case; but take any solvent you want to their engine oil and see how long it takes to break it down. The stuff is wicked resilient to being dissolved. Never seen an oil resist so much.
AMIRZA786 (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 08:06 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just wondering, did you bother to drop the pan and change the filter?
Old 06-10-20, 08:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Amsoil is the best ATF going IMO. I share your experience with Maxlife it doesn't work all that well in 90's era Toyota transmissions either, not as bad as your experience but still "off". Not sure but I think the viscosity is too low compared to the original.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (06-10-20), LexusLgend (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 08:34 PM
LexusLgend
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi DJPsystems, no I did not. I have seen a video tutorial of the transmission pan drop and filter change procedure, but I'm a little hesitant because I know putting the pan, gasket, and bolts back together is well above my capabilities in avoiding error.

Last edited by LexusLgend; 06-10-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 09:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Amsoil is the best ATF going IMO. I share your experience with Maxlife it doesn't work all that well in 90's era Toyota transmissions either, not as bad as your experience but still "off". Not sure but I think the viscosity is too low compared to the original.
I can tell you one thing, their synthetic gear oil is great stuff! I changed out my IS350's differential with the stuff and 10k later I have an extremely smooth and quiet drive train. I've used Amsoil in manual transmissions with good results as well
Old 06-11-20, 07:36 AM
Gville350

Received 431 Likes on 384 Posts

Glad I didn't opt of anything but Toyota WS ATF when I did my trickle flush. It continues to be good to me till this day!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gville350:
AMIRZA786 (06-11-20), LexusLgend (06-11-20)
Old 06-11-20, 12:53 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Glad I didn't opt of anything but Toyota WS ATF when I did my trickle flush. It continues to be good to me till this day!
Its pretty hard to beat the OEM fluid. So much better than the old days. Sadly, plan was to dump it at 80k and now it's at 95k mi. Sadness....
kenji211 (10-13-20)
Old 07-12-20, 09:58 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I did 5 drain and fills with MAXLIFE ATF at 140k, and it feels a lot smoother and better than WS.

Quick Reply: Bad Experience with Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF