IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding OEM backup camera - need help with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 06:12 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Adding OEM backup camera - need help with wiring

I'm in the process of adding an OEM rear backup camera to my '08 tree-fiddy that came without one from the factory, I need some help with the wiring. I bought a used camera from a '13. I thought that there was no way that my car would have any wiring for the camera whatsoever, so I did some digging and came up with the OEM mating connector and pins, which were shipped directly from Japan. (They weren't "overnight parts from Japan", but pretty close!)
Last weekend I installed the camera, in my trunk lid, and I was VERY surprised to find the mating connector for the camera already in the trunk! Here is a picture of the connectors plugged in:

The color of the wires between the camera and the mating wiring harness are different, but that could be due to the difference between my '08 and the '13 camera that I installed.

The real question is, does anyone have a wiring diagram that tells where these wires terminate? From what I can see they go from the trunk lid through the rear bulkhead on the left side of the car. The wire colors in the car harness are black, black, red, and white if that helps.

Last edited by WylieKylie; 10-07-19 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Snizel (08-04-21)
Old 10-08-19, 12:03 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
I'm in the process of adding an OEM rear backup camera to my '08 tree-fiddy that came without one from the factory, I need some help with the wiring. I bought a used camera from a '13. I thought that there was no way that my car would have any wiring for the camera whatsoever, so I did some digging and came up with the OEM mating connector and pins, which were shipped directly from Japan. (They weren't "overnight parts from Japan", but pretty close!)
Last weekend I installed the camera, in my trunk lid, and I was VERY surprised to find the mating connector for the camera already in the trunk! Here is a picture of the connectors plugged in:

The color of the wires between the camera and the mating wiring harness are different, but that could be due to the difference between my '08 and the '13 camera that I installed.

The real question is, does anyone have a wiring diagram that tells where these wires terminate? From what I can see they go from the trunk lid through the rear bulkhead on the left side of the car. The wire colors in the car harness are black, black, red, and white if that helps.

I seen some Toyota’s with the rear camera screen in the rear view mirror and wondered if you could somehow wire the OEM camera to one of those! You know the one that looks like this [img]blob:https://www.clublexus.com/61a3d8dc-ac43-4543-beef-0c1bb0a815db[/img]
or what I’m going to do is just get a amazon rear view camera mirror for $100
Old 10-08-19, 12:04 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

or what I’m going to do is just get a amazon rear view camera mirror for $100
Old 10-08-19, 08:43 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

There are any number of solutions for putting a screen in the car to view the camera. Without knowing where the factory wiring in a non-camera equipped car goes I can't power the camera, or get a video signal from the camera.
Snizel (08-04-21)
Old 10-10-19, 06:19 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Have you pulled the head unit out for a look?

Another option is a 1 year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com, its like $25 but you might need to add a car (1/2 cost) so it covers one w a camera?
Old 10-10-19, 06:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
That's interesting. I have been thinking about putting a after market camera in there but don't want to route the wires.

Could you test if there is power going to the plugs when you put the car in reverse?

I downloaded a diagram from Toyota's website a while back. It's for 2008. I think the NTSC signal might be the review view camera ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear View Monitor.pdf (21.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 10-11-19, 11:24 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Have you pulled the head unit out for a look?

Another option is a 1 year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com, its like $25 but you might need to add a car (1/2 cost) so it covers one w a camera?
Next step is to pull the HU and see what is going on there. I have thought about a subscription, I just though I would check here first.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
That's interesting. I have been thinking about putting a after market camera in there but don't want to route the wires.

Could you test if there is power going to the plugs when you put the car in reverse?

I downloaded a diagram from Toyota's website a while back. It's for 2008. I think the NTSC signal might be the review view camera ...
I will check for power at some point in the next couple of weeks. I will be even more surprised if there is power than I was to find the wiring. From what I have gathered from other threads Toyota OEM backup cameras are powered with a reversed switched, 6 volt feed that comes from the OEM HU. In the absence of power in the trunk, I'm hoping I find a loose connector behind the HU that is the opposite end of the cable in the trunk. From the diagram you posted I'm looking for a 4 pin "Q43 Television Camera" connector that would be connected to the back of the Navigation unit in a car with the OEM backup camera.

Edit: Also, the wire colors from my trunk seem to match up with the wire colors in the "Q43" connector from the posted diagram. I'll be pretty happy if I find that connector behind the factory HU.

Last edited by WylieKylie; 10-11-19 at 11:30 AM.
Snizel (08-04-21)
Old 11-13-19, 03:22 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Interim update: There is NOT a loose connector in my car behind the head unit. Meaning that the wiring terminates somewhere between the trunk and the dash. My next guess is it may be wired in the big connector behind the kick panel on the drivers side of the car, since that is the direction the wiring is headed when it leaves the trunk. Hopefully this weekend I will trace the wires, and also check for power in the trunk, but I am VERY doubtful that the connector in the trunk has power.
Snizel (08-04-21)
Old 11-13-19, 04:07 PM
trujtru
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trying searching through the Non-navi to navi swap thread. Since the camera outputs to the navigation screen, it should be wired to possibly one of the plugs behind the radio, but not do anything. It won't have its own separate plug.

There's also a thread about how to hack the ML DVD player to play a movie on the screen. My bet is they are hacking into the video input which the back up camera should be going into as well.

Last edited by trujtru; 11-13-19 at 04:10 PM.
WylieKylie (11-13-19)
Old 08-04-21, 10:23 PM
Snizel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you find it?

I know it have been like 3 years but did you find a loose connector ? Or how did you do to power the camera? I have the exact same issue... Thanks

Last edited by Snizel; 08-04-21 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong text.
Old 08-05-21, 11:06 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Worse case scenario is get power from the backup bulbs.