Hood latch not catching

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 02:11 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hood latch not catching

Has anyone else had this issue?
On my 06 IS 350, since I purchased it last year, I always have an issue with closing the hood.
It's like I have to slam it so it latches properly, or else it doesn't catch/
I've tried lubing the latch itself, but it doesn't seem to help.
I did find this thread tho, for the same issue on a GS
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-t-close.html
Would simply replacing the cable itself, remedy the issue?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...-/192358486979
The interior latch release seems to be returning to the neutral setting after I release it.

thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-19, 02:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Read this. Maybe it just needs a simple adjustment.
As a test simply lower the bump stops by turning 1/2 turn CW and dropping the hood from heights needed to make it latch. You might try 1 full turn CW.

Read on....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...gned-hood.html
The following users liked this post:
StanleyR (02-24-19)
Old 02-23-19, 08:51 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Read this. Maybe it just needs a simple adjustment.
As a test simply lower the bump stops by turning 1/2 turn CW and dropping the hood from heights needed to make it latch. You might try 1 full turn CW.

Read on....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...gned-hood.html
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my car also has a hood that's lower than the fenders.
Seems like someone else tried lowering the bump stops too, to the point it looks funny in relation to the fenders.

I left the car with the bump stops flush with the fenders, so it at least looks right.
Old 02-24-19, 07:20 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I always have to drop my hood from a good foot or two to get it to latch. I've taken the latch off to replace my radiator recently and I didn't see anyway to adjust it.
Old 02-24-19, 09:58 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

As I wrote in the links provided, move the latch up. Problem solved.

I know it doesn't move much, but loosen the latch and move it up.
Worst case is you remove the grill and use a rotary file to slot the latch bolts upward a couple mm, then move the latch upwards.

Edit:
One thought is the stops harden with age. You might try replacing them.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 02-24-19 at 12:25 PM.
StanleyR (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 12:04 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
As I wrote in the links provided, move the latch up. Problem solved.
Thanks for the reply.

I understand that I need to adjust the latch mechanism.
Is this adjusted on the car? (or is this adjusted on the hood?)
Is there any pics of what I'm looking for?
Old 02-24-19, 12:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Remove the front plastic from the core support area. Latch has like 4 bolts. Loosen and slide up. There isn't much wiggle room. Any core support damage from a fender bender could definitely hose up the hood height.

You may have to slot the holes if the latch is already moved up.
StanleyR (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 02:33 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by StanleyR
Has anyone else had this issue?
On my 06 IS 350, since I purchased it last year, I always have an issue with closing the hood.
It's like I have to slam it so it latches properly, or else it doesn't catch
I think this is normal. I need to do that to my car from about 1 foot up.
Old 02-24-19, 03:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^This is absolutely NOT normal. Hood slamming is never a good idea. I cringe when I see someone slamming a car hood or door. I lower my hood to the latch then give it a gentile push and voila.

Lou
Old 02-25-19, 02:43 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^This is absolutely NOT normal. Hood slamming is never a good idea. I cringe when I see someone slamming a car hood or door. I lower my hood to the latch then give it a gentile push and voila.

Lou
Exactly.
When I have to force the hood down by slamming it, makes me feel like the car is worse built than the Ford Focus it replaced.
None of my cars requires slamming the hood to close, not even on the 31 year old BMW!

Going to try the adjustment method tonight and I'll report back my findings.
Old 02-26-19, 08:35 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
I always have to drop my hood from a good foot or two to get it to latch. I've taken the latch off to replace my radiator recently and I didn't see anyway to adjust it.
Yup, after removing the plastic around the rad I noticed the 4 outer and one center bolts.
After loosening all of them I attempted to pull the latch up, but no dice. Didn't make much difference at all.

I have discovered a new way of closing the hood.
Instead of dropping it from a good 1 foot, instead I place a hand on either side of the edge and press downward while the hood is closing.
Seems to secure the hood and doesn't sound quite as trashy as before.

...small improvements.

Last edited by StanleyR; 02-26-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 06:20 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StanleyR
Yup, after removing the plastic around the rad I noticed the 4 outer and one center bolts.
After loosening all of them I attempted to pull the latch up, but no dice. Didn't make much difference at all.

I have discovered a new way of closing the hood.
Instead of dropping it from a good 1 foot, instead I place a hand on either side of the edge and press downward while the hood is closing.
Seems to secure the hood and doesn't sound quite as trashy as before.

...small improvements.
Mine is like the doors, get it a few inches away and it's like one sound, it seats and latches.

That's crazy they left zero wiggle room on the latch. I've seen manufacturers rivet parts once installed but leaving no adjustment is pretty sucky. Again, if the rubber bump stops are hardened, the hood just stops with no spring to it and they do impact how the hood closes.
Old 02-27-19, 11:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have the same issue, I literally bang it to get the latch to work. I will check the hood bumpers and lower them and see if the alignment will still look OK and it latches easier.
Old 03-05-19, 12:59 PM
heaven7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident?

I bought my IS and experienced the same problem the first time I opened the hood I couldn’t get it to close properly. I thought it was strange but thought it was simply an adjustment. A couple years later I had some drama with my ex boyfriend vandalizing it so I had it throughly inspected by dealership for tampering and turns out the frame is bent. I wish I had the same done prior to buying it but that’s unrelated. What I’m saying is the car was made to be perfectly aligned so if hood not closing you may have frame damage . Just thought to share my experience with this issue. Not sure it will help but may shed some light on the matter if still having difficulty. I had to one of the bumper bolts with rubber on it to get it to close without a struggle every time, and now the hood closes slightly lower then the fender on driver side. 😕 ... but it closes ..
Old 03-05-19, 07:02 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Originally Posted by heaven7
I bought my IS and experienced the same problem the first time I opened the hood I couldn’t get it to close properly. I thought it was strange but thought it was simply an adjustment. A couple years later I had some drama with my ex boyfriend vandalizing it so I had it throughly inspected by dealership for tampering and turns out the frame is bent. I wish I had the same done prior to buying it but that’s unrelated. What I’m saying is the car was made to be perfectly aligned so if hood not closing you may have frame damage . Just thought to share my experience with this issue. Not sure it will help but may shed some light on the matter if still having difficulty. I had to one of the bumper bolts with rubber on it to get it to close without a struggle every time, and now the hood closes slightly lower then the fender on driver side. 😕 ... but it closes ..
I dunno, sounds totally plausible, but considering the number of ppl with this issue on almost "perfect" cars seems a little far fetched.
Sure, I didn't have a dealership look my car over before purchasing, but after inspecting it myself as well as the clean VIN report, makes me think it's something else.

Quick Reply: Hood latch not catching