Does Facelifts matter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 05:46 PM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Facelifts matter?

Hi there!
So, im looking for a used is 250 but i have som questions i as hoping you guys could help me with.
Other than visuals, is there more changes from 10 - 11,12 ?
Its seems like they didn’t sell alot of 11-12’s here in Sweden with satnav, full leather and mark levinson audio, cant even remember seeing one.
So im looking at a white f-sport from 2010 and i actually prefer this models headlight and all black interior over the later Models.
It has the ML sound, satnav and full leather interior.
Its not much cheaper than say a facelifted f-sport though, or any cheaper at all but really low mileage and superb Condition.
Am i missing out on any good upgrades getting this older model?
And also, is it just the first 2010 f-sport that had the blue F-sport logotype?

Sorry if my English is bad as its not my first language

thanks
Old 12-28-18, 04:59 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Getting an IS250 -> always get the 2011 and up for the revised piston design in the 4GR mitigating some of the carbon buildup.
Getting an IS350, I'd say any year is good. The higher years have updated amenities and styling of headlights bumpers and taillights
Old 12-28-18, 12:40 PM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
Getting an IS250 -> always get the 2011 and up for the revised piston design in the 4GR mitigating some of the carbon buildup.
Getting an IS350, I'd say any year is good. The higher years have updated amenities and styling of headlights bumpers and taillights
Ok, so the 2011 and forward is less prone to get the carbon build-up problems? Thats a good reason then.
unfortunately the 350 never came to europe, or atleast not to Sweden. Just in the cabrio version :/
Old 12-29-18, 07:17 PM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

I dont want to be a pain in the butt but i would really appreciate your opinions.

I have been looking at two is250’s now.
1: Matador red from 2011 with 15,000 miles. Beige interior that i really like, comfort package and no Navi and the standard audio system.

2:Glacier frost from 2010 with 37 200 miles. F-sport package With full leather, mark levinson and Navi.

Both are like brand new cars in my eyes, low mileage and just 1 previous owner on both.
similar Pricing on both.

Is the 2011 a better buy because of that facelift?
I heard only the Mark levinson live and really loved that sound, how does the standard system stand up?
Navi i can live without, but it gives the interior a nicer look IMO

What do you think?
Old 12-29-18, 10:16 PM
Aspect
Racer

the mark levinson have had the amp blow and some have had nav screen problems with some people. I have an 07 with the premium package and I think it sounds pretty decent imo, just a casual audiophile with my other setups but the regular speakers aren't too terrible. I think nowadays most people use google maps on their phones which would be faster and more reliable I think so I could skip the nav pack. I'd go the 2011 with 15k miles. I'm honestly surprised you found two with so little miles
Old 12-30-18, 04:02 AM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

the mark levinson have had the amp blow and some have had nav screen problems with some people. I have an 07 with the premium package and I think it sounds pretty decent imo, just a casual audiophile with my other setups but the regular speakers aren't too terrible. I think nowadays most people use google maps on their phones which would be faster and more reliable I think so I could skip the nav pack. I'd go the 2011 with 15k miles. I'm honestly surprised you found two with so little miles
Yeah i never used Navi in my cars, i just like the look of it haha. The Mark Levinson is a selling point though but if the standard audio is somewhat better than in all my previous Toyotas im fine i guess.
Yeah its actually easy spotting low mileage 250’s here, beeing sedan and Petrol V6 only really didnt make them popular here in the country of kombis

But that thing you mentioned about new Pistons in the facelift, i really cant find any info about that?

Old 12-30-18, 07:00 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by NomDex

Yeah i never used Navi in my cars, i just like the look of it haha. The Mark Levinson is a selling point though but if the standard audio is somewhat better than in all my previous Toyotas im fine i guess.
Yeah its actually easy spotting low mileage 250’s here, beeing sedan and Petrol V6 only really didnt make them popular here in the country of kombis

But that thing you mentioned about new Pistons in the facelift, i really cant find any info about that?

Sorry I can't find the quote for the new piston redesign and piston ring set for the 4GR atm. It's just a thing I've known from CL threads regarding carbon buildup. Regardless, since the IS250 is only direct injected it will get carbon buildup in time - could be 150k kms, could be more where you'll have to get the engine walnut blasted to remove the carbon buildup. Sound quality is subjective, so I'd say you should take a test drive in the ML equipped IS250 and see what your ears tell you. I think the Lexus sound deadening may make the sound seem like it's better than it is I'm not sure.
Old 12-30-18, 07:44 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The Nav system in the 2nd Gen IS is out dated and more or less useless. As mentioned, cell phone GPS is way more accurate and easier to use, although it is nice to have the screen there just for quick reference. I've used it multiple times if there is a traffic snag, check the NAV, pull a quick U turn and go a different way. Having the touch screen to select sat radio stations is also handy. Other then that, I don't use it at all. Lexus really F'd up when they switched to that stupid trackpad or mouse style gizmo for navigating their NAV screens (2014+) instead of a simple touch screen. If your buying a used IS, I would stick to the 11-13 years as they come with the updated bumpers, lights, etc. as Aspect mentioned. That being said, there are many headlight options available nowadays, including a new Vland style that is brand new that very closely resembles the new model Lexus's. Vland tail lights are also a very good option for updating the look of the car.
Old 12-31-18, 03:41 AM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I can't find the quote for the new piston redesign and piston ring set for the 4GR atm. It's just a thing I've known from CL threads regarding carbon buildup. Regardless, since the IS250 is only direct injected it will get carbon buildup in time - could be 150k kms, could be more where you'll have to get the engine walnut blasted to remove the carbon buildup. Sound quality is subjective, so I'd say you should take a test drive in the ML equipped IS250 and see what your ears tell you. I think the Lexus sound deadening may make the sound seem like it's better than it is I'm not sure.
Only heard the ML and it honestly blew me away, but could be because of the sound insulated interiors and the fact that the sound in my Avensis and previous rav-4’s where kind of bad. Ive read somewhere that the standard 250 system comes from pioneer and is slightly above average soni guess i should be fine.

Originally Posted by SeanO
The Nav system in the 2nd Gen IS is out dated and more or less useless. As mentioned, cell phone GPS is way more accurate and easier to use, although it is nice to have the screen there just for quick reference. I've used it multiple times if there is a traffic snag, check the NAV, pull a quick U turn and go a different way. Having the touch screen to select sat radio stations is also handy. Other then that, I don't use it at all. Lexus really F'd up when they switched to that stupid trackpad or mouse style gizmo for navigating their NAV screens (2014+) instead of a simple touch screen. If your buying a used IS, I would stick to the 11-13 years as they come with the updated bumpers, lights, etc. as Aspect mentioned. That being said, there are many headlight options available nowadays, including a new Vland style that is brand new that very closely resembles the new model Lexus's. Vland tail lights are also a very good option for updating the look of the car.
Had to take a look, those Vland tail lights looks beautiful!
Also the Android aftermarket screens look better than the standard navi screen but dont know how they work together with AC and fan options etc.
Test drove a 2014+ IS and man i love everything about that car, but so much less money AND less miles on the older ones is for me a no brainer.
Old 01-05-19, 03:04 PM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

Just a Quick update
picked up the red 2011 today and man what a beauty.
The 2500kms is almost silly for an 11, feels like new.
Thanks for the replys gents
Old 01-05-19, 03:22 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a Quick update
picked up the red 2011 today and man what a beauty.
The 2500kms is almost silly for an 11, feels like new.
Thanks for the replys gents
Congrats!! Europe has all the low milage cars. I just bought a 07 IS250 on Wednesday loaded with 75k miles. Looks new. I'm not gonna use the Navi but I love the look. all maintenance history 1 owner. Unfortunately it had curb rash and they wanted to do the Airbag recall and fix the rims so I still don't have the car. Ive already ordered the Vland tailights. Got a duckbill spoiler. Ordered logo projectors for both front doors .ordered a AUX to Bluetooth with ground loop isolater. Going to tint the windows and put my sound system in as soon as I get it .super excited
Old 01-06-19, 12:17 AM
NomDex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Congrats!! Europe has all the low milage cars. I just bought a 07 IS250 on Wednesday loaded with 75k miles. Looks new. I'm not gonna use the Navi but I love the look. all maintenance history 1 owner. Unfortunately it had curb rash and they wanted to do the Airbag recall and fix the rims so I still don't have the car. Ive already ordered the Vland tailights. Got a duckbill spoiler. Ordered logo projectors for both front doors .ordered a AUX to Bluetooth with ground loop isolater. Going to tint the windows and put my sound system in as soon as I get it .super excited
Congrats to you!! 😊
seems like a good seller when they do those things before selling.
I went with one without the Navi, thinking about installing some android unit
what sound system you got?
Old 01-06-19, 02:04 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats to you!! 😊
seems like a good seller when they do those things before selling.
I went with one without the Navi, thinking about installing some android unit
what sound system you got?
Yeah it's from a BMW dealership and they work with AutoNation. They fix everything from scratches to window wipers they only sell the car once it passes every inspection. Im pushing 2 alpine w12d2 with a memphis 1500.1. total is 1500watts RMS at 1ohm. My last truck was a lincoln Navigator so my box is huge so I'm gonna have to get a tiny box. Wanting to see how it's gonna sound in the Lexus since the Navigator was a open interior I got all the sound. System is ridiculous. Gives me headaches on long drives 1500watts Rms is no joke. I think with wiring and box it was around $2k. Just the 1awg pure copper wiring ran me $300 alone no labor and the navigators box was $200 but this time I'm gonna get a cheaper box. I'm so impatient I can't wait these next few days 😂. When monday comes I'm gonna have a bunch of Lexus parts with no Lexus 😢😢