IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Parking Assist Front Sensors.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 05:53 PM
trujtru
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parking Assist Front Sensors.

For those people who have parking assist on their car, how close do you have to get to an object before the front sensors go off? Is there a way to adjust the sensors to have more sensitivity in the front? I know on the nav you can adjust the rear, but nothing for the front.

​​​​​I felt like I got pretty close to the car when I turned out of a parallel parking space. I purposely turned close to the car to see if the sesnor would go off like the rears do when I'm reversing, but it doesn't. The sensors work because when my girlfriend walked by when the car was in neutral, the sensor went off. Does the front only work only in certain gear positions?

Thanks
Old 11-21-18, 05:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I find the front sensors to be nearly worthless. They go off when someone walks in front of the car, and sometimes they alert (falsely) when it is snowing heavily or when the bumper is caked with snow and ice, but they rarely go off when backing into a tight parking space. Also be aware that they are only at front corners, so do not attempt to use them to judge distance when pulling forward.
Old 11-21-18, 01:24 PM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
I find the front sensors to be nearly worthless. They go off when someone walks in front of the car, and sometimes they alert (falsely) when it is snowing heavily or when the bumper is caked with snow and ice, but they rarely go off when backing into a tight parking space. Also be aware that they are only at front corners, so do not attempt to use them to judge distance when pulling forward.
Yeah seems like they are. I tested mine and it seems like it only goes off when the car is in neutral which is extremely useless. I had the car in drive, got close to an object, did not go off. Put the car in neutral and it started to beep. Don't know how to fix that.
Old 11-21-18, 02:15 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by trujtru
For those people who have parking assist on their car, how close do you have to get to an object before the front sensors go off? Is there a way to adjust the sensors to have more sensitivity in the front? I know on the nav you can adjust the rear, but nothing for the front.

​​​​​I felt like I got pretty close to the car when I turned out of a parallel parking space. I purposely turned close to the car to see if the sesnor would go off like the rears do when I'm reversing, but it doesn't. The sensors work because when my girlfriend walked by when the car was in neutral, the sensor went off. Does the front only work only in certain gear positions?

Thanks
What is parking assist? Isn't it all automatic you just give gas to move the car and follow the system command I am wondering.

Old 11-21-18, 03:55 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by trujtru
Yeah seems like they are. I tested mine and it seems like it only goes off when the car is in neutral which is extremely useless. I had the car in drive, got close to an object, did not go off. Put the car in neutral and it started to beep. Don't know how to fix that.
mine beeps even when its on drive and yeah its just the sides. When i got my lexus, i tried the sensors so i was pulling forward to my garage to see how close i can go before it beeps furiously. I ended up tapping the garage door. Lol
Old 11-21-18, 06:31 PM
trujtru
Driver

Originally Posted by metaleckz

mine beeps even when its on drive and yeah its just the sides. When i got my lexus, i tried the sensors so i was pulling forward to my garage to see how close i can go before it beeps furiously. I ended up tapping the garage door. Lol
Haha ok. So I gotta figure out how to fix mine then. Definitely doesn't beep when I get close on drive.

Originally Posted by Htony
What is parking assist? Isn't it all automatic you just give gas to move the car and follow the system command I am wondering.
It's just parking sensors. Just what Lexus calls the sensors, parking assist.