IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! Passenger Destroyed and wont open

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 04:45 PM
lextacy069
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry HELP! Passenger Destroyed and wont open

My friend wrecked my door where he tried to lift on the door handle while I was unlocking it. The door no longer opens from both inside or outside. Of course to try to fix it I need the door panel off. Well I had to force the panel where I can put my hand though stuff and feel around. I can feel where there is two cables that act like bike brakes that go into a black box. From the black box I cannot see or feel beyond that. There seems to be a door handle rod for the outside handle, but moving it around does not do anything. Is there a way to trigger the door latch to release?

Also note that the door locks can unlock/lock just fine. The actuator is pulling on the cable properly to go from red to black on the lock by inside door handle. The inside door handle is also broke , probably because outside and inside door handle share the same rod? I hope to go I will not need explosives to get this door open.

I just joined here and yes, a tragedy that my first post must be this
Old 09-21-18, 06:44 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Let ME be the 1st to Welcome you lextacy. I do not have an idea what you can do without the door panel taken apart as you said above. I will go through other threads and bring awareness to your cause so that more Club Members will see your new post and respond back. If you have pictures they tend to love that around here in order to get a good visual.
What type of Model car do you have first of all. Something about that inside door handle I'm sure some one can comment on. In the mean time hang tight and there should be some additional Members Posting here for you.
We appreciate you Joining and sorry about your 1st post being this way. Hey, that's how I joined, because I had questions you know. Again Welcome and Enjoy your stay, it is like a 2nd home.
Old 09-21-18, 10:32 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

this happened to a friend on his rear passenger door of his 06 is250 when he installed LEDs to the inside door handles.

what he did was he pulled the door card panel away from the door - from the inside!
yes it was tight but the door card is surprisingly flexible but there is always a risk of breaking and scratching something so take precaution.
you have to pull the lower section of the panel outward towards the inside of the cabin (removing the seat might make things easier).
don't forget to disconnect the puddle light connection once you get the panel loose (another tight fit).
then the panel must comes upward a few inches to unlatch from the door skeleton.

once out, you can pull the cable to open the door and reattach the rod/cable that broke or came off the handles.
it is certainly not easy, and I was not there to see it done but this is what he explained to me he did!
The following users liked this post:
Drizell (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 08:07 PM
lextacy069
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Drizell for that welcome !

Thank you timmy0tool for the reply and I have uploaded a youtube video of my situation. Hope this helps!

Old 09-22-18, 01:51 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

It's a lot more work but how about pulling the driver side panel off and seeing what you can learn from that? Off hand it seems like something broke in the actuator and it's not unlocking even tho the interior handle moves. I'm not sure that's possible but for both handles to be disabled, it seems they have that in common.

fleabay pictures.... Looks like the rod in the 2nd picture connects to the door handle.... yes?

Years ago my friends Solara failed like this. Being a coupe I pulled the back seat, pulled the rear panel and shoved a drill in and drilled out the 2 bolts holding the striker plate to the pillar. The door opened with striker attached.

This being a sedan thats not an option.
Old 09-22-18, 02:09 PM
lextacy069
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
It's a lot more work but how about pulling the driver side panel off and seeing what you can learn from that? Off hand it seems like something broke in the actuator and it's not unlocking even tho the interior handle moves. I'm not sure that's possible but for both handles to be disabled, it seems they have that in common.

fleabay pictures.... Looks like the rod in the 2nd picture connects to the door handle.... yes?

Years ago my friends Solara failed like this. Being a coupe I pulled the back seat, pulled the rear panel and shoved a drill in and drilled out the 2 bolts holding the striker plate to the pillar. The door opened with striker attached.

This being a sedan thats not an option.
Hello, On that bottom picture it looks like the outside door handle rod is sticking out right by the blue tipped cable?

Old 09-23-18, 10:51 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lextacy069
Hello, On that bottom picture it looks like the outside door handle rod is sticking out right by the blue tipped cable?
Yes, so find a way to verify that large lever is moving from both exterior and interior handle movements. Maybe try repeating the the maneuver that broke it and you get lucky and it catches opening the door. You have nothing to lose!
Sounds like actuator failed leaving it incognito.
Drizell (09-25-18)
Old 09-23-18, 05:14 PM
lextacy069
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Yes, so find a way to verify that large lever is moving from both exterior and interior handle movements. Maybe try repeating the the maneuver that broke it and you get lucky and it catches opening the door. You have nothing to lose!
Sounds like actuator failed leaving it incognito.
So found out the exterior handle rod is indeed separated from where the inside handle will meet. But I can feel where if I pull on the inside door cable a metal things moves up and down. This thing then goes into the actuator. But the actuator is ignoring those movements. Maybe the actuator is froze? If thats the case the door is practically welded shut
Old 09-24-18, 05:11 PM
lextacy069
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I went all brute force because nothing was working. Ripped door panel completely off so I could get more leverage to use a crowbar and hammer. I destroyed the actuator until I could reach down further to the actuators door latch mechanism. Took a flat heat and released it and POP open the door went. Now I can do the fun and PROPER way to fix my door. Indeed you were right, it was a permanently seized lock spring inside actuator which clamped down on the door release hammer like an alligator that wont let go. Glory days form here. Thanks guys!
Drizell (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 09:19 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you FSport. I appreciate you.
2013FSport (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 07:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Drizell
Thank you FSport. I appreciate you.

I'm not sure I deserve that but Thanks!
Very much appreciated in light of those who just expect to be served with no regard for a *proper Thanks*...